Eric's Yummy, Quick and Easy GF Low Carb Coleslaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
1/2 C Mayo
1/4 C Sour Cream
6 Tbsp of Sweetener
1-10oz bag Shredded Cabbage or Cole Slaw Mix
1 1/2 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp of Salt
1/2 tsp of Pepper
1/4 C of Chopped Onion
2 1/2 Tbsp of Lemon Juice

Directions:
Combine Mayo, Sour Cream, Apple Cider Vinegar, Sweetener, salt, pepper, lemon juice, onion and mix together. Add the above into the shredded cabbage/cole slaw. Mix until combined and refrigerate for 4 hours. If it is too watery, drain the excess liquid,

This recipe is a great GF, Keto friendly salad that you'll be proud to serve.

Last edited:
1/2 C Mayo
1/4 C Sour Cream
6 Tbsp of Sweetener
1 tsp of Salt
1/2 tsp of Pepper
1/4 C of Chopped Onion

Directions:
Combine Mayo, Sour Cream, Apple Cider Vinegar, Sweetener, salt, pepper, lemon juice, onion and mix together. Add the above into the shredded cabbage/cole slaw. Mix until combined and refrigerate for 4 hours. If it is too watery, drain the excess liquid,

This recipe is a great Keto Low Carb, Keto friendly salad that you'll be proud to serve.
Thank goodness Coleslaw can fit into the keto WOE, right?? I thought I would try a new spin on it and it’s pretty darn good.

These measures are approximate because I weigh stuff (yeah, still in the old mindset, but it keeps me from overeating carbs)

4F96CD4A-B436-4B38-BB88-B13AAFA953DD.jpeg2827×2918 1.55 MB

Super Crunch Coleslaw
Ingredients:
Salad:
4 cups coarse chopped cabbage (mix & match, whatever’s in the fridge) I weighed 200g
1/2 cup (I weighed 50 g) carrots, chopped in food processor
2 T freeze-dried or fresh chopped parsley
1-2 T flax seeds (I weighed 10g), preferably toasted

Dressing:
4T full-fat low-carb Ranch Dressing
1/2 oz (2T?) lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. In a small bowl, whisk ranch dressing with lemon juice. If dressing is really thick, it’s easier to whisk in 1T at a time. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Add cabbage, carrots, parsley, and flax seeds to a bowl, then add dressing & mix.
Using recipe measures, this makes 2 large servings with 6.3 g net carbs.

Notes:
The flaxseeds I used were “remnants” from making and storing flackers - I always save the toasted bits that fall off and use them in salads. Other seasonings could be added to the dressing. I make my own highly seasoned ranch dressing, so if your slaw is too mild, try adding garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, dill, or even mustard (prepared or powder). Just be sure to do it slowly.

I think there are many possibilities for variety with this - I like Coleslaw made with pickle juice in place of lemon, and it would have less carbs made that way. Blue cheese dressing would be AWESOME instead of Ranch, too. Please comment with any changes you make and like.

1/2 C Mayo
1/4 C Sour Cream
6 Tbsp of Sweetener
1 tsp of Salt
1/2 tsp of Pepper
1/4 C of Chopped Onion

Directions:

This recipe is a great GF, Keto friendly salad that you'll be proud to serve.
Good recipe. I always chop some bananas into mine.

If you are going for "Keto" or Sugar-Free, keep in mind that most commercial mayos have sugar added to them (for some idiot reason). Duke's brand of mayo does not have sugar added and never has.

I make my (sugar-free) coleslaw dressing up and keep it in a mason jar in the refrigerator. Then I add it to preshredded coleslaw mix as I want it. You can do this with most homemade coleslaw dressings. My dressing keeps a few weeks in the refrigerator. I also find that tossing coleslaw mix and dressing in a 1 gallon zip lock freezer bag works great. Add the mix and dressing, then seal closed making sure the bag has lots of air in it. Shake and turn the baggie to coat the slaw mix with the dressing, then squeeze the excess air out and chill for a few hours to allow flavours to meld. I have found that I use less dressing this way. Also the baggie fits into the refrigerator with minimal space, unlike bowls.

Sugar is a regional thing. Restaurants around Johnson City, TN over-sweeten vegetables like green beans, peas, corn which I've never found elsewhere. And their tomato based BBQ sauce is overly sweet but ok. Go east into NC and the clear BBQ sauce they are so proud of is vinegar mixed in Karo syrup. Gotta have a high tolerance for vinegar and sugar to appreciate that, which I don't.

Sugar is a regional thing. Restaurants around Johnson City, TN over-sweeten vegetables like green beans, peas, corn which I've never found elsewhere. And their tomato based BBQ sauce is overly sweet but ok. Go east into NC and the clear BBQ sauce they are so proud of is vinegar mixed in Karo syrup. Gotta have a high tolerance for vinegar and sugar to appreciate that, which I don't.
That's funny. I lived in Elizabethton for over 6 months and didn't run into "sweetened" veggies in the local restaurants. We must have eaten in the wrong restaurants. I come from a long line of diabetics so I pretty much avoid highly sugared or unnecessarily sugared foods.

I lived in Eastern TN for a little over 10 years. I also lived in SW NC since 1965 (summers so my dad could work year round and later my husband and I moved up there). My Mom still lives there. Only thing that was overly sweet was sweet-ice-tea (it's all one word). BBQ joints should be serving a selection of sauces with their BBQ, or you're going to the wrong places. Sweet, hot and mustard are the basic choices.

I lived in Eastern TN for a little over 10 years. I also lived in SW NC since 1965 (summers so my dad could work year round and later my husband and I moved up there). My Mom still lives there. Only thing that was overly sweet was sweet-ice-tea (it's all one word). BBQ joints should be serving a selection of sauces with their BBQ, or you're going to the wrong places. Sweet, hot and mustard are the basic choices.
The only BBQ in the south worth going to are the hole-in-the-wall rustic types with unpadded wooden seats. If they have tablecloths just turn around and leave. Chain store BBQ may have a selection of sauces but I don't eat BBQ there.

Most of my experience in NC has been in the Rocky Mt area where clear sauce is usually the only offering. I've spent a lot of time over 20 years in TN from Memphis to Johnson City. TN is so wide it varies a lot between east and west.

Heading north out of Johnson City on 11E towards Bristol (Speedway) are a lot of restaurants like Pardner's BBQ where I ran into the sweetened vegetables and too sweet BBQ sauce. BTW, even the locals don't recommend Pardner's but it is convenient.

I never found good BBQ in Elizabethton but there was a fantastic BBQ joint north up 19E almost to 11E then left several miles up a rough mountain road to the southwest. The sauce was too sweet but they had the best meats I've ever had. It's been about 6-8 years and I don't remember the name. It didn't show on maps then but "Ridgewood BBQ" shows up now on Google maps in that location. You may have been there since it is a local favorite.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom