EV Travel Trailer towed by Electric Vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elected officials, in part, are put in office to help solve problems.
LOL, The largest percentages of politicians that have held office and hold office now have never solved a problem of a grease vat not heating up for french fries in the private life will never solve the worlds problems. They have only their personal interest at heart.

Just look at how they live by comparison to the people they claim to represent. And the loudest ones on climate change fly around in their own private jets, never rubbing elbows with the people they have scared into believing the world is going to catch on fire as a result of global warming.

Last edited:
LOL, The largest percentages of politicians that have held office and hold office now have never solved a problem of a grease vat not heating up for french fries in the private life will never solve the worlds problems. They have only their personal interest at heart. Just look at how they live by comparison to the people they claim to represent. And the loudest ones on climate change fly around in their own private jets, never rubbing elbows with the people they have scared into believing the world is going to catch on fire as a result of global warming.
It is amazing how people are unable to see this. None of these people are pushing for EV because of global warming. It is part of their agenda and who helps them on the back end.

Some time ago there was a company that was using the same concept on commercial trailers. I do not recall if this was in production or exploration of the idea. My guess is it didn't gain too much traction due to weight. I have long forgotten what they were saying about the gains. Can't find the article now.
I think software developments and even AI will play a significant roll in the self powered trailer development. Eg, evaluation of conditions, roads, weather, road conditions etc. Some neat stuff coming out in the next 10 years.

It is amazing how people are unable to see this. None of these people are pushing for EV because of global warming. It is part of their agenda and who helps them on the back end.
Some even bought stock in the EV industry behind the scene before some of the EV funding was added to spending bills. Normally that is known as insider trading.

The thing about EV's is that unlike gasoline a century ago, there is a fuel distribution network already in place. Where I see the house of cards coming down isn't in charging stations, those are mostly for opportunity charging while enroute. A basic dryer outlet covers most commuter charging easily. The problem is supply - where is all this additional energy going to come from? You can talk about off-peak charging, "smart" cars that talk to the ulilities to take advantage of off peak times and all manner of efficiencies and mitigations but at the end of the day you now have "appliances" soaking up pretty substantial amounts of power where there wasn't before. I know for my paltry commute I ended up using more kWh charging the EV than my house used every month. That's the same as doubling the residential use times millions. Gasoline is incredibly energy dense and simply exchanging that amount of power to another form is not a simple problem. Consider that today there are "rolling blackouts" in many areas when everyone has their A/C fired up, that problem isn't just increased it's multiplied with EV's in the picture. The economy of EV's is based on today's utility profile, but it's not hard to imagine when the grid and generation hit critical capacity levels it will come down to pay as you go power, and dynamic rates. The idea of 10 to 15 cent per kWh will be not unlike the 25 cents a gallon gas of yesteryear. This will create a rift of have's and have not's in society, where even if you can afford the car you won't be able to afford to run it. It's just a shell game and the consumer pays either way. I'm not saying fossil fuels are any better factoring in their up front and hidden cost but for sure electric will be no panacea.

Edit: There are proponents that will throw down the "green energy" card as the ultimate solution. If Texas last February isn't a testimony of the fallacy of that idea I'm not sure what would be.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
The thing about EV's is that unlike gasoline a century ago, there is a fuel distribution network already in place. Where I see the house of cards coming down isn't in charging stations, those are mostly for opportunity charging while enroute. A basic dryer outlet covers most commuter charging easily. The problem is supply - where is all this additional energy going to come from? You can talk about time of use charging, "smart" cars that talk to the ulilities to take advantage of off peak times and all manner of efficiencies and mitigations but at the end of the day you now have "appliances" soaking up pretty substantial amounts of power where there wasn't before. I know for my paltry commute I ended up using more kWh charging the EV than my house used every month. That's the same as doubling the residential use times millions. Gasoline is incredibly energy dense and simply exchanging that amount of power to another form is not a simple problem. Consider that today there are "rolling blackouts" in many areas when everyone has their A/C fired up, that problem isn't just increased it's multiplied with EV's in the picture. The economy of EV's is based on today's utility profile, but it's not hard to imagine when the grid and delivery hit critical capacity levels it will come down to pay as you go power, and dynamic rates. The idea of 10 to 15 cent per kWh will be not unlike the 25 cents a gallon gas of yesteryear. This will create a rift of have's and have not's in society, where even if you can afford the car you won't be able to afford to run it. It's just a shell game and the consumer pays either way. I'm not saying fossil fuels are any better factoring in their up front and hidden cost but for sure electric will be no panacea.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Yah some good points. Where we are it’s not just cheap to run an EV compared to gas, it’s STUPID cheap. One of the routes we do a couple times a week it seems us about 104 kilometres return. So about 16 or 18 kWh. So about 1.70 ish. A lot cheaper than gas here. But that is here and of course other places have different prices. Our hydro power bill doesn’t change that much here. Maybe 20 or 25 bucks a month. Air conditioning is the big bill here but only in summer of course.

I hear power generation in the US is a real problem so I get where you are coming from. Not an issue here but again, it will vary from region to region.

I have no answers but watch with interest as it all unfolds.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The thing about EV's is that unlike gasoline a century ago, there is a fuel distribution network already in place. Where I see the house of cards coming down isn't in charging stations, those are mostly for opportunity charging while enroute. A basic dryer outlet covers most commuter charging easily. The problem is supply - where is all this additional energy going to come from? You can talk about off-peak charging, "smart" cars that talk to the ulilities to take advantage of off peak times and all manner of efficiencies and mitigations but at the end of the day you now have "appliances" soaking up pretty substantial amounts of power where there wasn't before. I know for my paltry commute I ended up using more kWh charging the EV than my house used every month. That's the same as doubling the residential use times millions. Gasoline is incredibly energy dense and simply exchanging that amount of power to another form is not a simple problem. Consider that today there are "rolling blackouts" in many areas when everyone has their A/C fired up, that problem isn't just increased it's multiplied with EV's in the picture. The economy of EV's is based on today's utility profile, but it's not hard to imagine when the grid and generation hit critical capacity levels it will come down to pay as you go power, and dynamic rates. The idea of 10 to 15 cent per kWh will be not unlike the 25 cents a gallon gas of yesteryear. This will create a rift of have's and have not's in society, where even if you can afford the car you won't be able to afford to run it. It's just a shell game and the consumer pays either way. I'm not saying fossil fuels are any better factoring in their up front and hidden cost but for sure electric will be no panacea.

Edit: There are proponents that will throw down the "green energy" card as the ultimate solution. If Texas last February isn't a testimony of the fallacy of that idea I'm not sure what would be.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
None of this matters to most people. They just say that EV work and that is what the country is going to and too bad if you don't like it.

None of this matters to most people. They just say that EV work
Until their "connected" car gets limited or disabled , even remotely, based on some usage criteria. And here people think a cell connected car is all about getting tweets and playing their spotify lists. It's not a huge step anymore for cars to become a subscription service, and it's my guess the first thing to get throttled will be charging when the grid is deemed critical. Not to mention every single movement you make in it is uploaded and processed somewhere. Yep, them EV's are something else...

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Until their "connected" car gets limited or disabled , even remotely, based on some usage criteria. And here people think a cell connected car is all about getting tweets and playing their spotify lists. It's not a huge step anymore for cars to become a subscription service, and it's my guess the first thing to get throttled will be charging when the grid is deemed critical. Not to mention every single movement you make in it is uploaded and processed somewhere. Yep, them EV's are something else...

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
It’s great that ICE vehicles never break down.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I hear that concern often, but the reality is regardless of the fuel, gas, diesel or electric, all cars are connected the same now. There is really nothing special as far as an electric goes. Just a different “fuel”.

Ask the folks on here that own one.
Just a quick search on the net, as of 2016, which I could probably find a better source if I had time, this is what is stated for servicing ICE engines. Nope, EV owners cannot say that if and when their vehicles break down or need parts. there is no one to turn to as a rule on the next street corner so to speak. For the most part, you buy the EV and you own it, for better or worse.

This shows the break down of new franchised dealers and used auto businesses. Nope Tesla owners cannot lay any claim to this massive support network. And I am sure that their component age out quicker for replacement. Unless I am wrong, there is no mandatory requirement to stock parts for EV vehicles across the US.

And yes recent stories tell us that even in California there are EV owners giving up on their vehicles and going back to ICE vehicles. So they are not Eutopia items to the few, the proud and the expectant save the world from fossil fuel pollutants folks.

According to the National Automobile Dealers Association, 16,708 franchised dealers were registered and active in 2016.

This number does however not include the used car dealerships. According to IbisWorld, there were 139,501 businesses actively dealing in used cars.

Here’s some highlights from 2016’s franchised dealers:

• A record 17.5 million new vehicles were sold.
  • Total new-vehicle sales topped $995 billion.
  • Dealerships wrote more than 300 million repair orders, with service and parts sales of nearly $110 billion.
  • Franchised dealerships directly employed more than 1.1 million workers
Source: NADA Data

That is what I am doing. My guess is that it is of very little concern if any at all for the people that are pushing us in that direction.

We have been an EV only family (except for the diesel pusher until recently :) ) for about 6 years. Quite frankly it hasn’t come up yet. I suppose if it happens we’ll just call Tesla roadside. No idea after that :).

Smaller problems are just looked after by Tesla rangers which come right to the car, or over the air software fixes. Bigger problems they trailer it to the nearest service centre.

I guess we’ll figure it out when it happens. :).

We have been an EV only family (except for the diesel pusher until recently :) ) for about 6 years. Quite frankly it hasn’t come up yet. I suppose if it happens we’ll just call Tesla roadside. No idea after that :).

Smaller problems are just looked after by Tesla rangers which come right to the car, or over the air software fixes. Bigger problems they trailer it to the nearest service centre.

This is a good starting point . But i doubt the network has reached tens of thousands by comparison to the ICE service network. Has the dealer network increased since 2017? Catchy title,

It's interesting how fast Tesla is gaining on the Premium market segment with its Model S, Model X and upcoming Model 3 pre-orders. Currently out of 96 dealerships and galleries only 26 provide after-sale services as far as I know, and Tesla needs to increase this number (the number of service centers in the United States) about ten times.

I am glad you have had good luck. My concern is that when they gain in popularity the service part of it will not keep up. That is something the politicians pushing this movement will not consider at all and will not care. I would also bet on the fact that there will be a lot of smaller shops across the country that will not want to take the training required to work on these cars especially the ones close to retirement.

To some that see this movement as being better for our environment little things like this will not bother them. That is until they have a car that is broke down for an extended period of time waiting for it to be repaired.

This is a good starting point . But i doubt the network has reached tens of thousands by comparison to the ICE service network. Has the dealer network increased since 2017? Catchy title,

I'm actually not up on how much things have changed since 2016 when your article was written. I know in our province there are still only two service centres and a few Tesla Ranger outposts. Apparently the ranger outpost close to us is turning into a service centre centre next year...or so the rumour goes. Our one and only experience with service was kinda not really an experience as it got fixed before the ranger got here. On the way home from picking up the car in Vancouver we had a "camera alignment" warning show up on the screen. The service centre is 500 kilometres away and we were halfway home so we used the App to schedule service. (Thats how its done with a Tesla). We got a ranger date for a couple weeks later and that was that. A couple days before the ranger came out he called us and said he was going to try an over the air fix. Whatever he did worked and that was the end of it. He said he would stop by the house anyway to check it out and while he was there he fixed a squeak in the dash.

The ranger vehicles are kinda cool. Its a model S with the the whole rear of the car turned into a tool bay setup. Kinda like a joey bed in a motorhome. The Frunk (open in the picture) is a small parts setup. Kinda neat. Anyway, that was the closest we came to actually having anything done. Lets hope it stays that way. :)

49894674056_256007533a_c.jpg

Cars are often totalled by insurance companies when the estimate to repair them exceeds their blue book value. If it's an ICE vehicle you have the option to buy it back, usually for a few hundred bucks and use the balance of the insurance money to either repair it yourself or have a third party do it. You'll get a salvage title after it's confirmed to be road worthy.

I did this with a 5 year old Nissan Sentra that had relatively minor rear end damage after it was hit from behind at low speed while I was stopped at a light and it served me well for another 10 years.

You can't do this with a Tesla - after an accident the car will be banned from using Tesla or third party fast charging stations, greatly reducing the utility of the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DICKSOP
Back
Top Bottom