Floor damage repair under wall of 1999 Holiday Rambler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That didn't go very well, sorry to hear that.

I'm no expert using these resins, but maybe the one you used was not really the one suitable for wood? Maybe something like this instead?

Having done a lot of boat work it can be tricky mixing and using the resins.

If the ambient temperature is high you dial back the hardener. If the area you intend to patch requires a thick coating you also dial back the hardener.

The type of resin you have typically is used with fiberglass matt or chop. It is not really intended to be a filler.

In fact when doing boat work we would make a very small batch of resin in a coke can and see how it activates before putting resin to boat. We would lay a stripe on a scrap board to see ow it goes off in layers and then look in the can to see how hot the mix got in a lump. You also can assess the working time this way - i.e. how long you have to mess with the cloth before you can't shift things any more.

When you say you "poured" a bunch of epoxy to create a filler that's when things went south. The chemical reaction creates heat and the more heat you get the faster the reaction creating more heat and then you have a runaway epoxy reaction that usually ends up full of bubbles and if this happens on the glass matte it's brittle and useless as a structural repair.

And yes you will get a lot of toxic smoke...

When you say you "poured" a bunch of epoxy to create a filler that's when things went south. The chemical reaction creates heat and the more heat you get the faster the reaction creating more heat and then you have a runaway epoxy reaction that usually ends up full of bubbles and if this happens on the glass matte it's brittle and useless as a structural repair.

And yes you will get a lot of toxic smoke...
I know this is super old but yes, I think the heat is maybe what did it and maybe not so much the chemical reaction. Hard to say! If I knew then what I know now...

I do think the leak is fixed though, haven't seen any more water in that area and I've done my best to re-lap seal everything on the roof and around the coach.

The fact you kicked the can another couple years down the road is a win, even if the fix isn't optimum or ideal. With any luck the rig stays in service as long as you need it, which is all that counts.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Back
Top Bottom