Ford F150 EV test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBar

I apologize if this link has already been posted. This is a real world test of the F150 Lightening by Tyler Hoover. This test was done while filming the 3rd season of his show on Motor Trend. Click here

. This test was done while filming the 3rd season of his show on Motor Trend.
So he then used 90 miles of range in 30 miles. Perhaps if he went the opposite direction, he would use 30 miles of range in 90 miles.

I have explained here before that the range indicator makes assumptions. One assumption is you will be driving the exact same way all day, but it does its calculation about every ten miles (depending on vehicle). It's best to not even look at the range indicator. Just use the SOC. It is a lot more useful info.

But my Chevy Bolt does it right. It shows the average range, the best possible range and the worse possible range all at the same time. And there is always a big different between the best and worse. Figure out what you will get by if the rest of the trip is going to be mostly uphill or downhill and wind direction and such.

-Don- Auburn, CA

So he then used 90 miles of range in 30 miles. Perhaps if he went the opposite direction, he would use 30 miles of range in 90 miles.
He did go round trip, one way with an empty trailer, the other way with the Model A on the trailer.

With the ~1,400# empty trailer, the range indicator dropped ~70 miles for his ~30 mile trip.

On the return, with the ~2,300# Model A on the trailer, the return trip dropped the range indicator ~90 miles.

His conclusion was that the Ford Lightning EV as equipped (standard range battery option) is great for zipping around town, but is not practical for towing.

(I'm just summarizing his video; I have no experience with electric vehicles of any type.)

I should flame a F150 forum I frequent.. I won't lol. Thanks for the link, interesting video.

Edit: I just saw that that the Ford F150 EV, was named truck EV of the year.. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Lost me at Hoovie's Garage.

TFLTruck's review was way, way better.

He did go round trip, one way with an empty trailer, the other way with the Model A on the trailer.

With the ~1,400# empty trailer, the range indicator dropped ~70 miles for his ~30 mile trip.

On the return, with the ~2,300# Model A on the trailer, the return trip dropped the range indicator ~90 miles.

His conclusion was that the Ford Lightning EV as equipped (standard range battery option) is great for zipping around town, but is not practical for towing.

(I'm just summarizing his video; I have no experience with electric vehicles of any type.)
You should expect the range to drop to around half when towing with an electric vehicle, unless going downhill a lot. Then the extra weight helps a lot, as shown here.

If you want an EV to tow with, you want the largest battery you can get.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I have explained here before that the range indicator makes assumptions. One assumption is you will be driving the exact same way all day, but it does its calculation about every ten miles (depending on vehicle). It's best to not even look at the range indicator. Just use the SOC. It is a lot more useful info.

But my Chevy Bolt does it right. It shows the average range, the best possible range and the worse possible range all at the same time. And there is always a big different between the best and worse. Figure out what you will get by if the rest of the trip is going to be mostly uphill or downhill and wind direction and such.

-Don- Auburn, CA
So, the next gadget will be an app that reads LIDAR topography (satellite-based and accurate to within inches) to determine the slope of the road you are on to compare it to the energy being used to hold speed. This would take into account the weight and wind resistance of what is in, on, or being towed by the vehicle. It would then analyze the topography of your route, based on your navigation system, factor in your historical driving habits, and figure out the amount of energy you need to get to where you are going. It will also check the weather along the route to determine the anticipated HVAC needs, and the traffic report to see if you will be sitting in traffic . Using all this data, it will tell you how far you will be able to go.

However, the car still will not tell you if you have a brake light out because that technology doesn't seem to exist yet. But now that they seem to have figured out nuclear fusion, there is hope that someone will figure it that out also

However, the car still will not tell you if you have a brake light out because that technology doesn't seem to exist yet.
Hmm, I've got a '79 Honda CB750 that warns you when the brake light goes out. It lights the oil pressure warning light. Not kidding.
I got rear ended lightly enough that all that broke was the taillight and bulb. When I restarted the bike, the oil pressure light was on. Upon reading the manual I found this was by design.

However, the car still will not tell you if you have a brake light out because that technology doesn't seem to exist yet.

This has been a feature in many cars going back about 30 years--if not longer in some European makes.

You can put a light on the dashboard....but whether or not the driver does something about it is an entirely different issue.

Saw a recent article where Ford is recommending that owners shouldn't run the heaters in the Ford F150 Lightning during the winter, so as to reduce the load on the battery. Another article mentioned that the battery in the Mustang Mach-E gets degraded by 30% in cold weather.

Saw a recent article where Ford is recommending that owners shouldn't run the heaters in the Ford F150 Lightning during the winter, so as to reduce the load on the battery. Another article mentioned that the battery in the Mustang Mach-E gets degraded by 30% in cold weather.

Nothing safer than scraping the inside of your windshield due to the defroster can't put out enough heat or is kept off.

EV's tested in Colorado degraded to 37% of the EPA estimate at minus 8F, not including further degrading on our mountainous terrain, winds, snow, and towing.

"Cold temperatures also limit the range of electric vehicles. The study conducted by Gunnison County Electric found that cold weather sapped batteries more than was predicted by Environmental Protection Agency estimated averages. In the temperature band of 1 degree to 32 degrees Fahrenheit, batteries performed at 80% of the EPA estimate. Performance drops dramatically as temperatures dive, 37% of the EPA estimate when the average temperature was 8 degrees below Fahrenheit."

Last edited:
Usually more like 20% on most EVs. Not much of an issue unless on a long trip. Then it is best to use the seat heaters as they draw less current, if the F150 has such (my Tesla & Chevy Bolt does).

The range difference on my electric motorcycles is very noticeable in cold weather because they don't have much range to begin with and have the cold air blowing right on the batteries. I use my ICE bikes more this time of year when the engine heat can even be helpful. It's nice to have no engine heat on warm days, nothing gets hot on the electrics. Can put my hands anywhere on the bike on a hot day after a hard ride.

-Don- Auburn, CA

This has been a feature in many cars going back about 30 years--if not longer in some European makes.

You can put a light on the dashboard....but whether or not the driver does something about it is an entirely different issue.
Interesting...Going back 40+ years my memory of 25+/- vehicles of immediate family (which includes Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge and Subaru), plus rentals and cars of acquaintances, the only vehicle that I can recall having a dead light alert was my 1984 Nissan 200SX and that was only for a dead headlight.

Interesting...Going back 40+ years my memory of 25+/- vehicles of immediate family (which includes Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge and Subaru), plus rentals and cars of acquaintances, the only vehicle that I can recall having a dead light alert was my 1984 Nissan 200SX and that was only for a dead headlight.

VW/Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Saab all come to mind, back to 1990 if not earlier.

GM had "warnings" too...lol. For cars that used a single bulb for brake/signal in the rear, if the filament blew, the thermal flasher would blink twice as fast because of the reduced load. In some GM cars, if the 3rd brake light went out, it would cause an ABS fault and the ABS light would come on. But that was just crappy engineering, as much as I love some GM cars.

the only vehicle that I can recall having a dead light alert was my 1984
My 1981 Mercury Capri had an indicator for any light that crapped out.

So does my 1984 Yamaha Venture motorcycle. It also has a feature to turn on the bright light at reduced voltage if the main headlight element craps out.

Many new vehicles don't need such, the led lamps should normally outlast the rest of the vehicle.

-Don- Auburn, CA

My 1981 Mercury Capri had an indicator for any light that crapped out.

So does my 1984 Yamaha Venture motorcycle. It also has a feature to turn on the bright light at reduced voltage if the main headlight element craps out.

Many new vehicles don't need such, the led lamps should normally outlast the rest of the vehicle.

-Don- Auburn, CA
That would seem be a reasonable expectation . However, in my 20 mile commute, the trip that I don't see a vehicle with a tail light or brake light out is an oddity

That would seem be a reasonable expectation . However, in my 20 mile commute, the trip that I don't see a vehicle with a tail light or brake light out is an oddity
Giving the driver the information does not mean it gets fixed!

I bet if you could see the dashboards of the cars on your commute, you'd see even more check engine lights lit! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DICKSOP
Back
Top Bottom