Ford Transit And Mercedes Chassis Class C Motorhome MPG Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aufgeblassen

If you have a Ford or Mercedes Chassis Class C, kindly post the typical MPG you get, along with engine size, and if it is gas or diesel. Also year, make and model if you feels so inclined. I'm just curious what great mileages folks are getting in these small wonders.

Our Ford chassis one gets 17-18 MPG in good weather conditions (which is most of the time we drive).

It has a 5 cylinder, 3.2L Powerstroke diesel, 6 speed transmission and it is a 2018 Thor Gemini 23TB with one slide out.

I think the MPG is phenomenal compared to our 1st Class C we got in Y2K that was a 1994 30' (about 1,000 lbs. heavier than current) wit 7.3L Ford/International non-turbo diesel that averaged only about 10-11 MPG.

Ford dropped the diesel from the Transit chassis, so consider yourself lucky.

I had a Class C 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel, Sprinter chassis, Winnebago View. It was the older T1N chassis, before they switched to the V6 diesel (and gas for a short time). I averaged 17 mpg on it, better or worse depending on terrain. Decided a trailer and truck would be a better thing for me, no sense towing a toad and having another motor and drive train to keep up.

I bought a 2003 RAM 2500 Cummins 5.9L HO diesel and have a Bigfoot trailer. I average about 16 mpg with the truck and trailer and 20 to 21 with the truck alone. (2003's tend to get the best mileage of the 5.9L engines) and this is a straight shift.

The Ford E series was available with the 7.3L diesel and later with the 6.0L diesel but after that the engine got too big and would not fit so the Ford E series is gas only after 2010 model year chassis. Fairly rare to find a Class C with a diesel. GM did put the Duramax in Savannah/Express chassis from 2006-2016 and I have seen ambulances with them, but have personally never seen a Class C motorhome with one.

Charles

Attachments

• MH RH side view.jpg
    MH RH side view.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Ford dropped the diesel from the Transit chassis, so consider yourself lucky.
Wow, I would have sworn I saw that Ford had a 2.0L 4 cylinder diesel for the Transit after the 3.2L I-5, that had greater HP than the 285 of the 3.2. The 3.2 does well in mountains, I only occasionally have to downshift to 5th (I always use manual mode).

I bought a 2003 RAM 2500 Cummins 5.9L HO diesel and have a Bigfoot trailer. I average about 16 mpg with the truck and trailer and 20 to 21 with the truck alone. (2003's tend to get the best mileage of the 5.9L engines) and this is a straight shift.
A funny thing about towing: On a long trip I towed our 5,000 lb. trailer with a BMW X5 3.0 I-6 diesel, and MPG went from normal 30 highway to around 13.5 MPG average. When towing same exact trailer with an F-350 6.0L Powerstroke, MPG dropped from normal 18.5 MPG highway to the same 13.5 MPG.

The Ford E series was available with the 7.3L diesel and later with the 6.0L diesel but after that the engine got too big and would not fit so the Ford E series is gas only after 2010 model year chassis. Fairly rare to find a Class C with a diesel.
Yes, our 1994 E-350 motorhome we got in Y2K was indeed a rare find. It had only 25,000 miles on it, but right away we found it burned through a quart of oil every 500 miles. If you started it from cold and put your hand near exhaust pipe, it would get covered in tiny droplets of oil. It must have had a bad O-ring on one cylinder.

In fact, we used said motorhome for 13 years burning oil. It had 50,000 miles when we sold it. Since nominal oil change interval was 5,000 miles, and crankcase held 10 quarts, I NEVER changed the oil, as it got fresh oil at that same rate. I only changed the filter.

Yes, if you go to the Ford website and get into the Transit CutAway/CabChassis, the standard engine is the 3.5L PFDi V6 Engine, and the only optional engine is the 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 Engine. No other choices are given. When the Transit diesel was introduced there were rumors circulating in various publications that it would not last long as that engine had been in use elsewhere in the world for quite a long time and it was considered nearing its design "end of life".

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit-chassis/models/cutaway/

Engine Specifications​

Engine type3.5L PFDi V63.5L EcoBoost® V6
Displacement (cu. In../ ml)213/3497213/3497
Horsepower (SAE net @ RPM)275 @ 6,250310 @ 5,000
Torque (lb.-ft. @ RPM)260 @ 4,000400 @ 2,500
Compression ratio11.8.110.0:1
Bore x stroke (in.)3.64 x 3.413.64 x 3.41
ValvetrainDOHC, 4 valve per cylinderDOHC, 4 valve per cylinder
Fuel deliverySequential multiport electronicDirect gasoline injection, dual turbochargers
Transmission type10-speed automatic Selectshift® with overdrive10-speed automatic Selectshift® with overdrive
Engine block materialAluminumAluminum
Cylinder head materialAluminumAluminum
*90% of peak torque available in the 1500 - 2500 rpm range

Charles

Last edited:
When the Transit diesel was introduced there were rumors circulating in various publications that it would not last long as that engine had been in use elsewhere in the world for quite a long time and it was considered nearing its design "end of life".

WelI I'm glad I got our RV when we did because its a great engine!

Getting back on subject: Our 2021 Transit gets about 15mpg with steady driving on x-way. In the city it drops to about 14.6mpg. We use it as our second car when home. Safe travels

Getting back on subject: Our 2021 Transit gets about 15mpg with steady driving on x-way. In the city it drops to about 14.6mpg. We use it as our second car when home. Safe travels
OK. So a bit lower for gas vs. diesel. So considering cost difference (except CA where diesel is cheaper than gas) Both yours and mine cost/mi. about the same.

Last edited:
Hi, bit of European input here,
I have owned various different vehicles for different reasons and have mpg knowledge of them all.
FIRST - UK gall = 4.55L, US gall = 4.2L.
My figures will be UK, so US will be 9/10th approx.
FORD 2.5L MINIBUS 16 seats 2ton, towing 2axle trailer with 1.5ton racecar and spare wheels always did 32mpg.
FIAT 2.5L RV Class B always 3.5ton does 30mpg.
COACH, Mercedes 14L, Setra215HD, 16ton, varied between 8 and 10mpg.
PEUGEOT, 3.0L VAN, 1.75ton ranges between 30 to 36mpg.
Cars:
2.0L Ford Mondeo Estate -58mpg
3.5L Lexus 450h- 35mpg
1.8L Lexus Ct200h- 64mpg
2.2L Lexus IS220- 56mpg
1.6L Toyota Auris-57mpg

All vehicles travelled UK, Ireland, Europe and have provided good to exceptional reliability.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbritt
Back
Top Bottom