Forgot to empty hot water tank…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yavne

In preparation for the campaign season I just realized I forgot to empty hot water tank last fall… It was full with water all winter.
The temperatures here well below freezing point during the winter.

Any recommendations how to check the hot water tank now?
Anything to do before I am filling it with water and turn it on?

Thank you!

The water tank is covered with styrofoam, in case of a leak, will I be able to see it?

In preparation for the campaign season I just realized I forgot to empty hot water tank last fall… It was full with water all winter.
The temperatures here well below freezing point during the winter.

Any recommendations how to check the hot water tank now?
Anything to do before I am filling it with water and turn it on?

Thank you!
How did you winterize? If it involved opening the low point drains then it should have also drained the water heater 'enough' that what did freeze caused no damage (best scenario). If you have a water pressure regulator w/gauge, close all taps/valves, have the 'city water' connected with the pressure regulator and then turn on the water. IF the water stops flowing, shut off the water and monitor the pressure gauge as if it drops, there is a leak. There may be some initial pressure drop while it settles...
Good time to go around listening for any air or water leaks.

Could start by pressurizing the system with air regulated to 45 or so psi.

How about taking the drain plug out to see if it still has water in it. If a lot of water comes out, you may be in luck.

If you left low point caps off and faucets open, 50/50 chance there was room to expand when frozen. If everything closed, I would say 90% chance your tank is cracked. I would think if it cracked, you would feel water around it, on the floor.

Well… it is quite expensive, no?

Price depends on the make and model of the heater. Anywhere from $400 to $700.
This is one reason that I have a winterizing checklist. First thing on the list is bypass and drain the heater.

Possibly it cracked, but if it did you would have water leak evidence. Take cover off, take out the plug, it unscrews, drain it, if it uses an anode, it will be a good time to change it. run water in via hose to flush, Reassemble, connect up city water to refill and turn water heater on, that is when the leak will show, when it is hot. If not leaking run hot water for a bit and sniff. If water was in there all winter it might be stinky.

Well… it is quite expensive, no?
Depends an hour labor or so you can google new water heaters.

or you can do just the tank but the labor increase will offset any cost of materials savings.

The job is actually very easy in most cases if you replace like with like (The whole heater job that is.. Tank replacement is a .... job and a half)

in case of a leak, will I be able to see it?
Water heater tank leaks become evident pretty quickly if the water system is pressurized. If you connect to city water or use the water pump and pressurize the system, a leak would be apparent around and or under the tank within a short time. If it is still dry after a half hour, it is pretty safe to believe that you have no leak.

Let us know what happens next, please.

I had a pin hole leak in a water heater, way back with my first truck camper. Took it apart and foolishly thought I could patch with epoxy. Did not work. Bought new water heater. Then with my CountryCoach, it developed a pinhole leak. I knew enough to not attempt a patch, but when looking for a new one found I could buy just a tank. Found a youtube video of 2 guys replacing the tank in one. My wife was watching and said, just buy a new one. It wasn't even that much more than just the tank. I doubt that it cracked though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krefvem
Back
Top Bottom