Gilbert Ray Campground AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
Any recommendations for best loop for our truck and trailer please?

30ft. I'm thinking C?

We drove thru last year and found most sites really tight, we are 30' too, let us know where you stay. We decided to stay at Picacho State Park, close to there, huge sites there!

No, we were looking for future site.. and decided it was too tight for us. We wouldn't ever go there... it was 100% booked, so lots of rigs... nice place, lots of trails, bike riding, etc...

Gilbert Ray is one of the first places we stayed when we started fulltiming in 2003. We have a 40-foot motorhome plus toad and stayed in site A-47. (Check out that brand new motosat dish!)

Gilbert Ray.JPG

I think we looked into staying there on a subsequent swing through Tucson but it was fully booked on short notice.

I stayed in A 70 last year with my 32' motorhome, no toad. In 2021, I stayed in A43. However, sites are tight. I dug out my old map where I had circled a couple of sites in C, but I read somewhere that C was closed for 2024, so you need to check that.

I did find this site that lists sizes of each C site. PCNRPR

And here is a page for A area: PCNRPR

You can also use Google maps, but two sites that look big enough but are almost impossible to get into because of the cement divider in the roadway are A62 and A63. No way to back up easily.

I assume you know that you must enter from the NORTH, right? Cannot go over Tucson Mountain Park to the south with a trailer or motorhome. (Correction: Cannot enter with big RV from south through Tucson Mt Park.)

Enjoy the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum nearby!!

Last edited:
Oh, and I love Piccachio Peak, but last spring (2023) their water was salty, so they required you to bring your own. Just checked and warning was still on site, so OK for a few days if you come in with a full tank, but otherwise, not. I was told then that their well had gone bad, and they had no plans to drill a new one as it would be very expensive. You might want to call the park directly before you make a reservation.

Thanks Judy. Yes knew about south entrance and checked Google. Pima website is a bit crap as you need to click on every site. No filters for size unfortunately. Didn't see the legend so that is useful.

Appreciate the info!

Last edited:
I'm here now. In A15 and I'm 26ft. Have a few feet in front and behind me. Leaving the 9th.
I just checked my space fore and aft. Plenty of room in A15

Last edited:
Oh, and I love Piccachio Peak, but last spring (2023) their water was salty, so they required you to bring your own. Just checked and warning was still on site, so OK for a few days if you come in with a full tank, but otherwise, not. I was told then that their well had gone bad, and they had no plans to drill a new one as it would be very expensive. You might want to call the park directly before you make a reservation.
Yes no water there, but their hot showers are awesome. We just bring 60 gallons fresh on board, we had way too much water!

Just love all the input when one of us has a question... you get feedback on all.. sites, obstacles, etc. My hubbby can get us in most spaces, however, that being said, IF he has a heads up, I will get a different site. Two hours at Lost Dutchman and a Oregon State park, fixed him for life!!

Wow, live within 50 miles, never heard of it. All sites should be easy for us now with the truck camper. It is within days of being ready to head out in.

Been on the reserve site, not the easiest to pick a site if you have no idea what to look for, any better areas for views?

Kind of short on pictures of the campground from what I have seen so far. C will close June 1 for electric upgrades.

Any A loop recommends?

I'm here now. In A15 and I'm 26ft. Have a few feet in front and behind me. Leaving the 9th.
I just checked my space fore and aft. Plenty of room in A15
That's great. We wouldn't be there till 14th...

Thanks for the info!

We drove thru last year and found most sites really tight, we are 30' too, let us know where you stay. We decided to stay at Picacho State Park, close to there, huge sites there!
I have ridden my electric motorcycle in Gibert Ray a few times to check it out.

But I was staying at the Western Way just a few miles south of there, on the same road. Across from Tuscon Estates. One thing I like about this place is everything is very close by such as a grocery store right across the street from the RV Park, several restaurants and a hardware store--all within a very short walking distance. I really enjoy the morning American breakfast at the little Chinese restaurant across the main street from the WW RV Park. The House of Cheng.

But Gilbert Ray is in a beautiful part of the Sonoran Desert, and I have been thinking about staying there, just it's not as convenient as the Western Way but I hike in the desert between those places often, so I still see a lot of it.

I have visited the desert museum every time I have been there which is countless times over the years. If I need it, I can charge my electric motorcycle there, but I can do the same at the WW RV Park.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
We stayed a night at Gilbert Ray last spring. Not sure now which loop. We usually stay at Picacho when in the area as Gilbert is hard to get reservations on short notice.
Both are beautiful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldgal
Back
Top Bottom