Help with large paint bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We recently were gifted a 19ft 2006 StarCraft travel trailer and the prior owners had it painted and they said they believe the painter did not prepare the surface well enough and this caused large bubbles to form (see video link below).

Any ideas for the fix, assuming there is a way to strip this paint off the fibreglass and then refinish it?

I was also wondering if perhaps the bubbles are from the fibreglass layer itself being compromised with water damage. Though the bubbles do change shape in the sun/shade and become more and less pronounced so I believe it’s likely the paint which is affected.

We’re keen DIYers but new to restoring trailers.

Video of trailer bubbles

In order to see the bubbles I would have to download an app and I’m not interested in doing that.
Ah sorry there is a button on the page which says “or continue to the website” and then it just loads the video directly in your browser

A few layers of paint would not be that thick. IMO that looks like fiberglass delamination. This is caused by water intrusion and chances are you have damage inside the walls. Make sure any roof or trim leaks are fixed first.

The obvious best way is cut out sections and replace but that would cost more than the trailer is worth. I've heard people drill a small hole and inject non-expandable spray foam or 3M spray adhesive in as much area as the nozzle tube will reach, then prop plywood larger than the bubble tight over it until it cures. But I've also heard that sometimes causes the bubble to get bigger or move because the fiberglass is already stretched, so your mileage may vary.

Too bad it wasn't localized to just the tip out. How much do you love this thing? It delaminated for a reason so you could attempt an injected epoxy repair but given how great an area is affected that would be a protracted process with variable success. If you decide you really love the thing you can re-skin it but then you're all in on a trailer that's old enough to vote. My opinion on delamination is to run it as is, this isn't a show car or an heirloom. Have some fun with it and save your time and money for something that didn't start out wounded.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Or this link might be easier (iCloud link): iCloud
That worked good.
Have you tried to open up a bubble using a sharp razor blade to see if it is indeed paint or delaminating of the siding? Try it in a place where a repair maybe using EternaBond Tape would be kinda hidden if that’s possible.
I also believe it is delaminating and not paint. The reason I say that is because Along both sides, the bubbles are in one area and they are adjacent to each other telling me you have a roof leak. If it was paint, you’d have bubbles on the entire rv. Get a ladder and look on top to see if you see anything above those two areas where water could enter. Look specifically where the sides and roof meet.

Last edited:
The panel in the back will be the easiest to repair and eliminate the leaks that caused it. The side of the unit is a whole different story. If you can fix the leaks you will have a good chance of recovering the trailer for use. Had a 2005 Aruba and it was a good sturdy trailer.
Looks like it was an Antigua in a former life. Don't recall Starcraft having a Seafarer line.

Thank you all for your input! I agree that it is likely delamination. We had the roof and trim all resealed last year when we got it and I think that not being addressed earlier by prior owner started the problems.

I am starting to think that we should just enjoy what is left of the trailers life as it’s not worth the amount of money it would seem to cost to completely repair the issues.

The panel in the back will be the easiest to repair and eliminate the leaks that caused it. The side of the unit is a whole different story. If you can fix the leaks you will have a good chance of recovering the trailer for use. Had a 2005 Aruba and it was a good sturdy trailer.
Looks like it was an Antigua in a former life. Don't recall Starcraft having a Seafarer line.
Yep the prior owners had it painted and stuck that seafarer decal on themselves. It’s definitely a 2006 StarCraft under that paint.

It’s a real shame because the trailer is great otherwise! The inside is in perfect condition.

Were the bubbles there when you received it? I think the original owners knew what they had and pond it off to you so you could dispose of it.

Thank you all for your input! I agree that it is likely delamination. We had the roof and trim all resealed last year when we got it and I think that not being addressed earlier by prior owner started the problems.

I am starting to think that we should just enjoy what is left of the trailers life as it’s not worth the amount of money it would seem to cost to completely repair the issues.

Depending on how handy you are and how much work you want to put into it, it could be fixable. I found this on YouTube:

and there's a whole bunch more just like it.

Video soundly reinforces my view of "How much do you love this thing?". I get it though, I've done my penance of time underneath mine. The lengths we go to in the quest of "making memories".

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

One way to look at it, if your repair doesn't make it look like new, what have you lost? Look at it as a learning experience.

If you are handy the front and back panels are a do it yourself project. After replacing the panels and putting in new seals the two ends will not have issues. If the roof was resealed you probably eliminated what caused the water damage on the sides. Resealing is at least a yearly task and if stored in the sun at high temps more like every six months.
The only question then is whether you can overlook the sidewall delamination and enjoy the camper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom