How do you deal with flies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfatz

Hi all, I'm still new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question....

How do you deal with flies? My wife hates flypaper, and I do do more damage swinging that flyswatter around than good. I've heard that a 50/50 mix of Pinesol cleaner and water, wiped on all solid surfaces helps. What tricks do you use?

I used one of those electronic fly swatters - loved to hear the pop when I got one. I saw a video of a gun that shoots salt to kill flies and bugs. I really wanted one but my wife said it would be too messy.

Rubber bands.  One thing of importance I learned working in computer rooms in my misspent youth was how to shoot a rubber band with power and accuracy.  ;)

But your best bet is to keep them out as much as possible.

Oddly enough, my dogs are great for flies. The younger one has a super long tongue and picks them off when they are crawling up the window. Of course that does lead to lots of dog art on the window pane, but it washes off easy enough. The older dog is really good at snapping them out of mid-air when they fly near him. 

You could possibly put a fly trap near by but out of the way..... These work really well. If you put meat products in them, you will also catch yellow jackets... http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/quick-and-easy-to-make-highly-effective-fly-trap/

Your flies might be coming up the sewer hose. Also, maybe your garbage is aging and attracting them. Or it could be your neighbors.

I keep a loop in my sewer hose so there is a water barrier to keep them out.

I have used the fly paper but then I found out the real problem was my neighbor. He wasn't carrying out his garbage, he was just tossing it inside a tent and the flies were swarming his garbage tent and working their way over to my place. When he left the camp, he left his garbage behind and the campground maintenance crew had to come out and carry off the nasty mess. After that we had no more flies.

I keep the garbage carried out once and more daily. I use those tiny grocery bags to line my garbage pail by the same size, so when one is full, doggy and I walk to the dumpster. He loves this "chore". This also keeps flies at the dump and not in my motorhome.

I get free products for reviewing and one they sent me was an electronic pest repeller.
http://amzn.to/1OlUcq7

I guess it works. My front door is often open and I haven't seen a fly or bug inside in  months.

There is a foil package you can find in the insectcide area of many stores.. May be called HOT SHOT, it is about 4 inches wide by 6-8 tall fairly flat.

Wearing disposable gloves open the package, Inside is a plastic holder (White) with a yellow strip of plastic inside, And a "Hook" that snaps into the top of the plastic holder so it can hang on a rod or door knob or some such.

The strip is impregnated with a product originally sold as VAPONA by Shell, I do not know who makes this sdtuff.

You will need 2 or 3 of them, they last for months. and so long as there is not too much fresh air they kill flys dead.

Back in the old days we bought that stuff in liquid form in 5 gallon pails.. Worked great. Did not kill me

But I do recommend using disposable gloves, Follow proper hazmat procedure when de-gloving, and wash hands after.

I have never dealt with flies, but I think it would be one to every player in a clockwise direction. just like cards.

Vapona was developed by Shell Chemical in the 60's.  (I worked for Shell in the late 60's early 70's.). The stuff was sold as 'Shell No Pest Strips' for years but I think Shell sold the patent and manufacturing rights to Bayer when it was found to be more toxic to humans than they thought.

It was originally designed for large spaces like barns but people were putting it in kitchens etc.  As I remember it was linked to liver and CNS damage.  I wouldn't use it in an RV.  It works by becoming airborne and goes in through your lungs & skin. 

Why would you want to breathe something you're warned not to touch? 

We have a product we use in the barn called "Quickbayt".. it comes in pellet form as well as other forms.  I am afraid to spread the pellet form around the barn because of the cats, dogs and native birds.  I only want to kill the flies. 
I think we bought the powder or pellet form and mixed it with water to make a stiff paste. We brush it high (above the animals) on the posts in the barn.  **You can also brush the mixture on to small pieces of cut up cardboard box (like you are painting it on) and hang the cardboard pieces by string in the rafters (Or trees) .. kills flies INSTANTLY.  They are attracted to it and you see them start hitting the ground.  It's amazing.

You can buy it at a local Tractor & Supply or on Amazon.  Quickbayt.  It is poisonous to domestic pets. (thus the reason we hang it very high and where even the cats can't get to it) Our barn is fly-free again! 

Attachments

• quickbait.jpg
    quickbait.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 15
8Muddypaws said:
Vapona was developed by Shell Chemical in the 60's.  (I worked for Shell in the late 60's early 70's.). The stuff was sold as 'Shell No Pest Strips' for years but I think Shell sold the patent and manufacturing rights to Bayer when it was found to be more toxic to humans than they thought.

It was originally designed for large spaces like barns but people were putting it in kitchens etc.  As I remember it was linked to liver and CNS damage.  I wouldn't use it in an RV.  It works by becoming airborne and goes in through your lungs & skin. 

Why would you want to breathe something you're warned not to touch?

I remember the "No Pest Strips." They looked like long pieces of American cheese... :p

We find bathing more often to be a good strategy. :D But, seriously, like Clay L, we use an electronic flyswatter (zapper).  Works well for about any flying critter (gnats, mosquitoes, flies, etc.).  Gets an aggressive dog's attention, too, while out walking.

Actually, we did have a problem with flying critters.  We have a class B with a sliding side door and double rear doors and it was very difficult to get in and out or to access storage without letting in unwanted visitors.  We made some screens from an old screen
room and really minimized the problem.

Attachments

• 2015_08_27_006s.jpg
    2015_08_27_006s.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2015_08_27_010s.jpg
    2015_08_27_010s.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 54
Once I have tied them up, I keep them in a box with lots of slitted foam until I go fishing next.

Attachments

• 20170418_092308.jpg
    20170418_092308.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 44
I found the hardest thing about shooing flies is making all those tiny socks. :eek:

About two years ago we were at Lake Fort Smith SP during "fly season".  About as bad or worse than mosquitoes here in Louisiana. There were literally thousands of flies.  We could not get into the trailer without letting in dozens at a time.  I purchased a box of mini pads and soaked them in insect repellent with the highest amount of Deet that I could find and stuck them around the door.  It looked really strange but it worked better than anything that we had tried.  I am sure our neighbors were wondering what we were doing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ddellamaggiore
Back
Top Bottom