I am a tag reader.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ziplock

Always looking at where people are from.

Maryland gets new stickers for their rear tags every 2 years. There are alot of expired tags around here anymore.

Pennsylvania stopped giving out rear tag stickers. They have front wind shield stickers that, last I read, get updated each year. So when you are behind them, they ALL look expired.:ROFLMAO:

What have you noticed in your area?

No tags anymore for Alberta rear plates. No window stickers and no front plates.

Pennsylvania stopped giving out rear tag stickers. They have front wind shield stickers that, last I read, get updated each year.
TX does that also. It used to be and you could recognize the state of a license plate by it's appearance but today many states have a long list of special license plates each with a different look that you can have for an extra fee. I liked it better the old way.

As of yesterday Colorado has a new $100 maximum "big" penalty for not registering cars! That's really nothing since it's still way cheaper than registering. More than likely they won't ever get caught.

"The state DMV estimates 92,000 people move to Colorado every year and don’t register their cars."

NY State dropped year stickers on the standard license plates years ago in favor of windshield mounted registration stickers with additional information. Trailers and motorcycles are an exception to that, still having expiration year stickers.

I see many cars with lapsed tags and wonder why they get away with it. Well, my neighbor, was doing it and getting away with it. Recently, she went out and parked somewhere and parking enforcement called a tow truck. Cost her a ton a money. She said she had to make an appointment with the DMV, get current on the tags and pay the late registration penalty before the tow yard would release her car. The tow bill plus storage fees and everything else cost her about $1k.

I see many cars with lapsed tags and wonder why they get away with it.
I doubt that most LEO's pay very close attention to expired tags unless they stop the driver for some other reason. When we lived in Ft Worth, it as pretty common for police officers who have a ride-along to show them how to run license plates on the computer and to do that as they patrol. I have twice done ride-along shifts and both officers did that and doing so we did stop several people for expired license or no insurance.

I doubt that most LEO's pay very close attention to expired tags unless they stop the driver for some other reason.
But registration stickers in NY can bite you IF you've let your inspection lapse and now the color has changed for the new year. Troopers can easily spot that even when driving at normal speed in the opposite direction. Don't ask me how I know...

On a related, and somewhat strange note, I received a registration renewal notice for a boat trailer today, the strange thing is it is for a trailer where I had opted to buy lifetime license plates, which I bought in September of 2005 ( remember because it was a week before hurricane Rita hit here). Why I am getting a renewal notice in March of 2023 is beyond me.

On a related, and somewhat strange note, I received a registration renewal notice for a boat trailer today, the strange thing is it is for a trailer where I had opted to buy lifetime license plates, which I bought in September of 2005 ( remember because it was a week before hurricane Rita hit here). Why I am getting a renewal notice in March of 2023 is beyond me.
Maybe that's a clue from above that your lifetime is about to end...

I was forced to register the car trailer I just bought in California. Apparently, no one-time trip permits available. The plate is clearly marked "permanent". Paperwork says I have to renew it in 5 years.
In '94, when I moved to Arkansas, I bought a "permanent" plate for my utility trailer. One time, one fee. Still using it today (well, my kid is, anyway).

Lots and lots of expired “tabs” around here in Washington State. It started with the pandemic when the Department of Licensing suspended late fees and renewal deadlines for vehicle registrations. Police simply stopped enforcement of that and related laws.

Judging by the number of expired registrations I am still seeing, enforcement is either having a hard time tackling the backlog, or it’s still not being enforced.

Everything is “law and order” with folks around here until it personally applies to them and their situation, and then they have an excuse as to why they should get away with not paying their vehicle registration….

I had a car registered in California for a few months recently. I registered it down there so it would be 100% legal and there would be no question about it, if I was pulled over. California is, excuse the term, ****, about that stuff. The car I purchased had lapsed registration. I had to pay for the time it was lapsed to bring it current. I had to provide proof of insurance to register it. It needed to have a current smog certificate. When I moved the car out of state, I had to formally cancel my registration and sign an affidavit stating such, so that California would not continue to assess fees and eventually send me to collections.

I was forced to register the car trailer I just bought in California. Apparently, no one-time trip permits available. The plate is clearly marked "permanent". Paperwork says I have to renew it in 5 years.
In '94, when I moved to Arkansas, I bought a "permanent" plate for my utility trailer. One time, one fee. Still using it today (well, my kid is, anyway).
I've thought for many decades that license plates should be issued to the car, and good for life of the car. But that brings the issue of what business will govt. use to occupy the time of convicts.:)

Last year I went to register our new (to us) motorhome in Alaska. One of the custom plates offered has a bear standing on it's hind legs in the middle and you can get any 6 letters/numbers, 3 on each side. So, we wanted our initials on each side with blanks closest to the bear- XX_(bear)_XX. Filled out the appropriate form waited a couple months for them to show up, and we get XX_(bear)XX_. So wife is cuddled up to the bear but I am keeping my distance.
Went back to DMV, they pulled up the form and verified my plates did not match my request, but could do nothing about it as the making of plates had been shut down to retool for going to one plate only.
They will fix the screw up when they are back up and running, but only for a new rear plate, so we will forever drive around with a different plate on front than on back.

I've thought for many decades that license plates should be issued to the car, and good for life of the car. But that brings the issue of what business will govt. use to occupy the time of convicts.:)

Until 2015 or so, Washington State issued license plates to vehicles, not owners. Plates stayed with the car when the car was sold. Plates could not be re-used.

That all changed, and it’s probably for better. The state also retired the 7-year replacement rule for plates. They finally found a reflective paint that does not fade or disentegrate.

Many incarcerated people in the US actually work for private companies. Stamping license plates isn’t a big industry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom