If you boondock a lot . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am currently day 24 boondocking with a 12v compression mini fridge. And only a single 100w solar panel. This month of May has been horrible for solar collection too! I would highly recommend it! A larger 6.0cubic foot fridge w/ freezer may use a bit more power, but with my 2.0cubic foot fridge it will only ever pull a max of 70w @ 5A, my solar panel at max can reach up to 6.5Ah and 85-90W. Fridge being a fridge isn't running all the time, while the sun is shing all the time! Well, with clouds in the way some days.. but seriously, I haven't pulled more than 350wh/day this month (getting into some better weather now) but I've got my fridge going, water pump, LEDs, coffee grinder everyday, cell phone charge up(sometimes, I also charge it up in the vehicle on my way to work, and a 28000mah battery to charge the cell phone on weekends)
A while ago I wasn't so power smart, was using my water pump while using my fridge was running, had more lights on than I needed and still my battery never got below 50% (2x 6V 215AH GC2 FLA batteries) and after unplugging my fridge for two days (because I had nothing critical to chill, until I went grocery shopping again) my battery bank is back up to 88% from the 60% it was sitting at before I unplugged my fridge. (Again, been mostly cloudy) but testing out my generator tonight to figure out the charging for just incase, but, in an emergency, with no solar charging or any external charging I reckon I could go 10 days with just my fridge, about half that using lights and my water pump.

Well my trailer stays, I drive my dodge journey and sometimes carpool with a coworker. 44km one way, I say RV and most people assume motorhome (understandably) but technically a trailer is a recreational vehicle type according to registration here in BC anyway. I like saying RV more than camper, or trailer. People seem to take pitty on me if I say I live in a camper, if I say I live in an RV people are intrigued haha.
1979 prowler 20L Google will show ya what I'm working with.

I have an older class A (2005) and my wife and I have been fulltiming for over 4 years, we boondock at least 220 days per year.

We have 520W of panels on the roof for our main system, it uses 4 GC2 AGM batteries. Installed them 4 years ago, and they usually never go below 12.6. Our fridge/freezer is a Norcold 1200.

I have a 100w portable panel used for charging the engine battery and a small 300w MS inverter for the front tv and antenna.

We also have a 12V 50l compressor fridge, currently used as a freezer connected to a Bluetti 70, connected separately to a 180 solar panel, making it an independant system. We also have a 5500w generator, because being up north, you never know when you will be needing to charge when you have 5 straight days of bad weather.

We wil never get rid of our 100lb propane tank. We would never be able to get by without the ability to heat - solar is very inefficient for heating, and hot water and cooking. because the fridge uses it as well is just a bonus. We have often stayed on wild area boondocking for weeks at a time, thanks to 120 gllons on fresh water, and 2 grey and 2 black tanks (170 gallons total)

You need a balance of all systems, and a backup, ESPECIALLY boondocking.

Back
Top Bottom