internet situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morning

hello? i just bought a 2021 Puma Destination, but the area I'm in only has DSL internet, I definitely need internet because I work from home. there is no phone wiring/jack in the trailer to connect a DSL line to - I need advice, whatcha got?? Thank you!! ☺️

DSL comes in to you via a telephone line. It runs on the same wires as a land line phone service. You need to locate in an area that has decent 4G/5G with the provider you use and use your cell phone to do a drop to a router in your trailer.

OK, re reading, you are permanently in a park in a destination trailer. You will need phone service to the trailer and then either your or you can pay to have wiring and jacks run inside the trailer to connect your DSL modem to.

Charles

I would just run the phone line into the RV through the slide seal, window or up through the floor in the wet bay following a water line. It isn't like they are sealed air tight from the factory.

I think it may depend on the phone company, and if they have any requirements for running the line to/into the trailer. After that, it's a matter of plugging in and getting to it. But you have to get the line from the phone company to your trailer first.

Check with T-Mobil or Verizon for their "home" service. I have T-Mobil and get 500 down. $50 per month. Verizon has a similar service but it isn't available in my area.

hello? i just bought a 2021 Puma Destination, but the area I'm in only has DSL internet, I definitely need internet because I work from home. there is no phone wiring/jack in the trailer to connect a DSL line to - I need advice, whatcha got?? Thank you!! ☺️
Many RVs do have phone connections (RJ-11) which is how I got DSL when I had it.
You can easily run a Telephone line if you need to I recommend you follow the electrical cord into the unit also if you need Rj45 LAN cable. Same advice different cable.
You can also set up a Rubbermaid type cabnet outside with the DSL modem and a wi-fi router

When you say "only" do you mean you have no wireless service there? I used my Verizon portable Hotspot all over Florida with no issues at all anywhere, a couple of years ago.

And I am using it right now. I works even in places where I do not expect it to, such as two days ago at every stop I took on Hwy 50 in eastern NV.

In past years, I have found a few places where it did not work, but so few I can remember them all. Such as at Convict Lake in CA, I had no trace of a signal.

I am using it right now. I never use the wireless at the RV Parks.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

When we travel, we use Visible. $40 a month, truly-truly unlimited. We purchased a cheap-o ZTE phone that is dedicated only for using the internet. It's connected to a mini portable router / wifi. Multiple devices can connect to the router, either by wire or by wifi then.

After the initial purchase of the phone, the only cost is the $40 a month. With the router, you can stream on multiple televisions at the same time and still work on a lap top computer without any noticeable lag.

At home, we have a different system completely. I'm retired now, but before retiring I was Information Technology (software development) and worked 100% from home. My wife also is in IT and works 100% from home. Visible worked flawless for us as we traveled from Georgia to Upper Michigan over the course of a couple years.

I'm retired now, but my wife is still working. At home, she connects to Visible with her work laptop. My son lives with us, also working IT and from home 100%, but he prefers to connect to our system at home. We are in a unique location, about 2 miles square that will not permit AT&T, or any outside phone carrier in. And this little phone company refuses to allow their phone lines to go DSL. So, we have a line-of-site system that bounces off cell phone towers for our internet and we have no land line phone at all.

Anyway, Visible works and works well. It uses the Verizon network. So if you have good cell phone service where you are located, Visible will work very well for you. No contracts, make no monthly payment and you are automatically shut off. Make the payment and you stay connected. Stop any time, pick it back up any time. Affordable, works, and works well.

Check it out! This is the video that changed our lives!

When we travel, we use Visible. $40 a month, truly-truly unlimited. We purchased a cheap-o ZTE phone that is dedicated only for using the internet. It's connected to a mini portable router / wifi. Multiple devices can connect to the router, either by wire or by wifi then.

After the initial purchase of the phone, the only cost is the $40 a month. With the router, you can stream on multiple televisions at the same time and still work on a lap top computer without any noticeable lag.

At home, we have a different system completely. I'm retired now, but before retiring I was Information Technology (software development) and worked 100% from home. My wife also is in IT and works 100% from home. Visible worked flawless for us as we traveled from Georgia to Upper Michigan over the course of a couple years.

I'm retired now, but my wife is still working. At home, she connects to Visible with her work laptop. My son lives with us, also working IT and from home 100%, but he prefers to connect to our system at home. We are in a unique location, about 2 miles square that will not permit AT&T, or any outside phone carrier in. And this little phone company refuses to allow their phone lines to go DSL. So, we have a line-of-site system that bounces off cell phone towers for our internet and we have no land line phone at all.

Anyway, Visible works and works well. It uses the Verizon network. So if you have good cell phone service where you are located, Visible will work very well for you. No contracts, make no monthly payment and you are automatically shut off. Make the payment and you stay connected. Stop any time, pick it back up any time. Affordable, works, and works well.

Check it out! This is the video that changed our lives!

I really like Visible and their standard plan is now $25 a month including the unlimited hotspot. Or you can get Visible+ at $35 a month for 6 months and $45 a month afterwards.

With Visible+ your first 50 GB a month is "premium" data (no network de-prioritization), after that your data returns to standard speeds. Plus international calling and service in Canada and Mexico.

Existing users were required to choose one plan or the other. You said you use your phone when you travel. Have you tried it recently to see if it's still active?

"You said you use your phone when you travel. Have you tried it recently to see if it's still active?"

Yes, it's in use right now. Working just fine. My wife told me she bumped us up to the 5G. We are now paying $45 a month. No issues at all.

Here's a link to the one we are using:
Thanks much. I have a half dozen routers-- primary & backup-- across multiple properties but for the most part they're just too big for our coach. The offerings from GL.iNet would work well and I have seen that name recommended quite a bit before. I wasn't aware they had so many options. Their Beryl AX model is a tiny thing!

neither are available in my area 😕
You don't need "home service", just whatever mobile cell service is available and will accept a mobile hotspot for internet service. You can use any old cell phone or a buy a wifi/modem device, available for most any network. Here's an example. Then connect your computer stuff via wifi.

Or do the same thing with a DSL landline (phone cable) run to yur campsite. The DSL line runs to a modem and you plug a wifi router to the modem. The access with your computer via wifi. You don't have to bring the DSL into the trailer is you don't want to - just provide a weatherproof box of some sort on the campsite. The wifi will bridge the gap into the trailer.

T-Mobile 5G Home internet $50 per month w/no contract

Been using mine for 2+ years now and it works great. I have a 300w inverter that I plug into my cigarette socket and it powers the gateway.

I tried the T-Mobile solution, but was just out of range of their antenna. I could pick up the signal, barely. The connection dropped a lot, and was super slow in the evening when a lot of people were using it. We had that same issue a few years ago when we tried their cell service for phones. Lots of dropped calls and broken connections. So this solution really depends on how close you are to a tower that supports T-Mobile. Otherwise I would use it in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom