Jack Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chims

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but I'm going to ask anyway. Where do you place your jack when you need to change a tire? Several sites online say never put it under the axle and only on the frame. Yet there are a multitude of videos out there showing this exact thing being done, right under the axle next to the U-bolt. I have a single axle trailer, so I don't have the option of perching one axle up to raise the other.

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but I'm going to ask anyway. Where do you place your jack when you need to change a tire? Several sites online say never put it under the axle and only on the frame. Yet there are a multitude of videos out there showing this exact thing being done, right under the axle next to the U-bolt. I have a single axle trailer, so I don't have the option of perching one axle up to raise the other.
I suspect that advice like that is geared toward the technically challenged. Don't want them to place the jack anywhere under the axle except at the very ends, where the suspension attaches. So the advice is safely conservative - if they only jack from the frame, they won't ever bend an axle by choosing the wrong spot. A "better safe than sorry" type of advice.

Those who have a bit more tech savvy can be trusted to understand about the suspension point and do it correctly & safely. Jacking from end of the axle at the suspension point is the more effective method, i.e. you don't have to jack as high to get the tire off the ground. It's the best choice as long as you don't mess up.

The info is normally in the Owner's Manual, isn't it? It probably changes by vehicle/ trailer. But that would be the first place I look.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yep, it says put it on the frame. This is why I ask the question, as many don't follow this recommendation as is evident from the numerous videos online. At the same time, other videos say never put it on the axle as it leaves the risk of damaging the axle.

I suspect that advice like that is geared toward the technically challenged. Don't want them to place the jack anywhere under the axle except at the very ends, where the suspension attaches. So the advice is safely conservative - if they only jack from the frame, they won't ever bend an axle by choosing the wrong spot. A "better safe than sorry" type of advice.

Those who have a bit more tech savvy can be trusted to understand about the suspension point and do it correctly & safely. Jacking from end of the axle at the suspension point is the more effective method, i.e. you don't have to jack as high to get the tire off the ground. It's the best choice as long as you don't mess up.
Agreed. I think I will just get an axle saddle for my bottle jack and place it near the U-bolt and not worry about it.

Is there a good reason not to follow that instruction?
Yes. When jacked from the frame, you have to lift the frame by the amount of the suspension travel before the wheel even starts to rise off the surface. That's not just time & effort - the higher the jack is raised the more susceptible it is to tipping. And some jacks can't even lift high enough to get the tire off the ground. Small scissor or bottle jacks often are limited to 5-6" of vertical lift. And too often aren't very stable to begin with.

It seems strange to me that the vehicle's owner's manual would be incorrect, if followed 100% with the type of jack shown and such.

-Don- Reno, NV
The manufacturers are just covering their butts. There is always a chance that some idiot will jack right at the end of the axle, bend it then try to blame it on the builder. If you place the jack directly, not on the side, under the suspension point, then you can’t go wrong. Ya right.

I have to agree with Gary on this one. If they tell you its OK to jack under the axle only in certain places, then someone will (with an attention deficit) will read the "its Ok to jack under the axle...." and miss the part about only under the spring perches or within 3 inches of them. So they just say, no, don't.

Trying to reach the frame of many trailers indeed would take a very tall jack. On my recent trip to Lake Charles, I discovered on my buddies trailer, a spring hanger torn off the frame. He had his RAM screw jack, and a bottle jack, I had my RAM screw jack, and a small bottle jack, any of which will go under the axles, BUT, I had taken a two stage Mercedes Sprinter bottle jack that while limited to about 7000lbs, goes quite high. I stuck it on top of the 6x6 block I usually put under my tongue jack and we lifted the trailer right up, then we ran his new stabilizer jacks (which are Harbor Freight screw jacks capable of the tonnage) down nearly full extension, to provide a safety. We were then able to get the spring hanger back in place and use a bottle jack to raise that axle to where everything fit and the welder could do his job.

In the shop I usually jack my trailer under the spring at the axle, and then put a jackstand with its U saddle, right under the axle tube as close to the spring as I can get it.

Jacking under the MIDDLE of an axle will most certainly bend the axle (be it leaf spring or torsion type) and you can even bend a automotive axle by jacking under the "pumpkin" (differential) if the vehicle is heavily loaded.

Charles

Using the mount for the U-bolts to lift is no different than when the trailer is sitting on the tires. The weight is in the same place.
The problem with a bottle jack is the small footprint of the base. Any forward or aft movement of the trailer may cause the jack to slip. Keep the trailer hooked up to the tow vehicle to stop the movement.

If you think about it, most automobiles also have owner's manuals that say to place the jack under the frame also. Lifting by the frame with either of them will mean that the wheel is dropped down where it is pretty much clear of the wheel well where jacking under the axel will raise things more easily with far less jacking, it also makes it much more difficult to remove the wheel, in some cases. That said, I too usually place the jack under the place where the spring is attached.

More grist for the mill. These "Trailer Legs" are for lifting your trailer off the ground to preserve bearing and tire life when it's stored for a long period of time i.e. over the winter. Lo and behold, they are mounted right on the axles.

Unless you are on concrete. Place a 2x8x12 under the jack so the jack does not tip over in the dirt.

Using the mount for the U-bolts to lift is no different than when the trailer is sitting on the tires. The weight is in the same place.
The problem with a bottle jack is the small footprint of the base. Any forward or aft movement of the trailer may cause the jack to slip. Keep the trailer hooked up to the tow vehicle to stop the movement.
On time a tire store used my bottle jack on my class a as their floor jacks did not have enough OOMPH This was on ashphault.. They now have the abiltiy to hit a "Hole in one" in their parking lot.. The hole. the same size as the base of my jack. I managed to get it back on the jack with the aid of a lot of plank and two other jacks.. And this time we planked under the jack. no problem. 2x12x3'

Back
Top Bottom