Need advice on Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, and Moab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
We've had a sudden change of travel plans for 2024. We would greatly appreciate any advice/recommendations for camping and traveling to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, and Moab. We have a 37 ft. 5th wheel and we are equipped to boondock. Hopefully we're not too late to make reservations at some of the popular tourist locations. We plan to leave MN in mid March.

Moab March and April is BUSY.. did that once during that time, never again. Get online now and try to book something. We like Kens reservoir, BLM Campground, 10 buckscacnight withbsenior pass.

When we made the trip to those very same places back in 2021, we went in the month of Sept. that year and I made reservations 6 months in advance....but we don't boondock and we stayed at some of the more popular RV campgrounds in each area.

All of these locations need reservations.
Grand Canyon - Trailer Village in the park. The bus picks you up at the campground. Not expensive and pretty nice.
Zion - Watchman in the park. Very nice. They have some electric sites that get booked very early, but the no hookup area is slightly more available. Note it gets HOT in Zion in the summer. Either electricity or 100% generator will probably be needed especially since dogs aren’t allowed on the trails.
Bryce - Ruby’s Inn at the park entrance. The bus picks you up across the street. Private and more expensive, but oh so handy.
Arches - I haven’t been to the new park campground, but it might have bigger sites than before. Check it out first. If not available, we have stayed at the KOA (expensive) and Spanish Trails both. 5here are boondocking sites in the area, but it gets HOT in Moab so if you are looking for summer, just go to a park with electricity.

If we start at the Grand Canyon how many days should we plan? ( 4 - 5 +/-) What are the must see stops?
We spent a relaxing three days at the campground at the Grand Canyon. Of course you can see the canyon in a day. But you can go down to the bottom of the canyon on mules, which I highly suggest. And the sunsets at one of the points is worth another evening. I can't remember the name of the location.

But you need to get on the bus early and get there and pick your seat. Once you setup in the campground the bus system rarely leaves you waiting to carry you around to any area of the park.

Bryce Canyon is a relaxing two day stop unless you can do some hiking. Their trails are a bit easier to do than Grand Canyon . I strongly suggest going down into the hoodoos if physically able.

You can drive all the way up to the top. I would start at the top and work your way back down at each stopover. This way you are not fighting trying to park and always crossing the road to attempt to get into the parking lots.

And Zion is tight and almost always filled to the rim with people come April and May.

Last edited:
There’s good boondocking south of Grand Canyon, Tusayan, on USFS land. Boondocking around Moab is disappearing but there are lots of campgrounds in Moab. Reservations are required if you want to stay IN the parks.

How long do you plan to be on the road? I've been to Zion about 4 or 5 times and each time it's been busier and crazier. The last time was a year ago October. The weather was still good and the park is still busy but not crazy busy. It may be a bit colder in March April but still probably comfortable.

We stayed at an RV Park in Kanab Ut. It's about a 30 to 40 minute drive to Zion. From Kanab, we also did day trips to Lake Powell, The North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Bryce. The North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon are two far apart to do both in one day. Both are very nice but the North Rim is not as touristy.

We camped at Kaibab Lake Campground when we visited the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's on Hwy 64 and closer to Williams AZ. Maybe an hour to the main entrance. If you start on the South Rim and then plan on going to Zion I'd take Hwy 64 through the park to Hwy 89 just south of Cameron AZ. From Cameron you probably have about a 2 or 3 hour drive to Kanab.

If you plan on doing Moab first, you have the option of taking the Northern or Southern route. If you have time, I'd take the Southern route to the Kanab/Grand Canyon area and visit Monument Valley if it's open. That's a must see.

The drive on Hwy 12 to 24 is considered a scenic highway. There are some steep declines and one ridgeback that's interesting.. There are videos of the drive on 12.
Picture will not post,

Last edited:
I HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THIS, JUST WHAT I HAVE READ, AND STUDIED.

In Zion, Truck/trailer rigs over 13 ft 1 inch tall or over 50 ft combined length are not allowed to pass thru the Highway 9 Mt Carmel-Zion tunnel. If you are over 11 ft 4 in tall or over 7 ft 10 in wide you can only pass thru the tunnel with a permit ($15) as the rangers have to stop all traffic from passing thru until you get to the other end. This is from the NPS website.

If you cannot use the tunnel, you will have to either cross over from Bryce Canyon to I-15 north of Zion or travel to Kanab/Fredonia and circle around and up to Hurricane/LaVerkin to access the park.

The southern route passes thru the Kaibab Reservation, and just off the highway is Pipe Spring National Monument, and just across from the NM is Kaibab Paiute RV Park & Campground, which might make for a good overnight.

Otherwise, I am reading to see what others have to say.

Charles

How long do you plan to be on the road? I've been to Zion about 4 or 5 times and each time it's been busier and crazier. The last time was a year ago October. The weather was still good and the park is still busy but not crazy busy. It may be a bit colder in March April but still probably comfortable.

We stayed at an RV Park in Kanab Ut. It's about a 30 to 40 minute drive to Zion. From Kanab, we also did day trips to Lake Powell, The North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Bryce. The North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon are two far apart to do both in one day. Both are very nice but the North Rim is not as touristy.

We camped at Kaibab Lake Campground when we visited the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's on Hwy 64 and closer to Williams AZ. Maybe an hour to the main entrance. If you start on the South Rim and then plan on going to Zion I'd take Hwy 64 through the park to Hwy 89 just south of Cameron AZ. From Cameron you probably have about a 2 or 3 hour drive to Kanab.

If you plan on doing Moab first, you have the option of taking the Northern or Southern route. If you have time, I'd take the Southern route to the Kanab/Grand Canyon area and visit Monument Valley if it's open. That's a must see.
We plan to be on the road 2+ months. Thanks for your thoughtful info. We'll be sure to check it out.

April in southern April is fine. I. Fact, it’s delightful. We’re right next door in southern Colorado. And we’ve done April in all those areas with our hairy kids. Just leave some windows open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Traveling Senior
Back
Top Bottom