Need some camping ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

memtiger

Instead of camping near a beach my son said he wanted to go somewhere we learn some history instead. Of course the first thought for me was we could drive up and camp around DC and see the monuments. I am looking at possible other ideas I know there has to be really good ones that I am not aware of. We live around Nashville, TN so something around a 10 hr radius is kind of what we had in mind.
Any ideas?

Instead of camping near a beach my son said he wanted to go somewhere we learn some history instead. Of course the first thought for me was we could drive up and camp around DC and see the monuments. I am looking at possible other ideas I know there has to be really good ones that I am not aware of. We live around Nashville, TN so something around a 10 hr radius is kind of what we had in mind.
Any ideas?
Aviation museums and civil war battlefields come to mind. See what some searches pull up. Have fun, safe travels!

Nashville to DC is at least 650 miles. I doubt if you can make that in 10 hours.
I was going t suggest Gettysburg, but it's about the same distance.
You may also run into problems making reservations in either area.

Nashville to DC is at least 650 miles. I doubt if you can make that in 10 hours.
I was going t suggest Gettysburg, but it's about the same distance.
You may also run into problems making reservations in either area.
Yeah it is about 10 hour normal car drive to DC so the thinking was maybe stay and hour or so outside of DC in a state park and take day trips to DC or other parts of VA that might be neat to look at. I don't know I am thinking about trying to find something a little more low key. We have been to the Pensacola Aviation museum and that was pretty cool I would recommend that to anyone.

Vicksburg, New Orleans (battle sites), Pensacola (Naval Aviation history and beach), retrace Shermans March to the Sea from Atlanta to Savannah ( Guide book ), Lots of history and some beach at Civil War battlefields. Almost forgot Redstone Arsenal for space age history.

The USAF museum in Dayton OH is a terrific visit if he has any interest in aircraft and only about 350 miles and with camping available in the area.

Williamsburg & the Yorktown Battlefields are just barely within the 10 hours limit.

What about the Vicksburg Civil War battlefield? About 500 miles.

I would suggest staying near
Richmond VA.. There are numerous museums and battlefields to visit, with williamsburg within an hours drive.
Check ahead for re-enactments. We were entertained the whole afternoon in Williamsburg.

Safe travels and all the best.

The USAF museum in Dayton OH is a terrific visit if he has any interest in aircraft and only about 350 miles and with camping available in the area.

Williamsburg & the Yorktown Battlefields are just barely within the 10 hours limit.

What about the Vicksburg Civil War battlefield? About 500 miles.
I like the Dayton, OH, idea. The Air Force museum there is terrific, and I remember taking my kids there when they were about the same age.

Also, doesn't Dayton have a Wright Brother museum? That is where their bicycle shop originally was, I think.

Vicksburg is a little farther, but there is the civil war battlefield and also a riverboat museum.

Last edited:
You also might want to consider something closer to home. Chattanooga with Look Out mountain and about 2 hours further down the road, Stone Mountain, in Georgia. Both are loaded with history and lots to do.
Its been a long time since I've been down that way. I would hope things would have gotten better. Safe travels and all the best.

Try checking out www.onlyinyourstate.com You're in a location that is loaded with history. I know because I used to live the Chattanooga area and I homeschooled my kids. There are lots of museums and living history museums in that corner where TN, NC, AL, GA meet. It doesn't take much effort to find a place. Go to Oconaluftee in Cherokee, NC. Also take in the play "Unto these Hills" (pricey but well worth it). You will want to take a jacket or blanket when you go to the play. It get's cold at night.

Charlottesville, VA has Jefferson's Monticello and Jefferson's university, University of Virginia along with some nearby wineries. Richmond is only 75 miles away from Charlottesville. Richmond has lot of historical sites including American Civil War Museum, White House of the Confederacy, Thomas Jefferson designed capitol building, Civil War battlefields, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts which includes the Civil War Hospital, Poe Museum, and many more attractions.

There are a lot of different kinds of history. The first step would be to determine what type of history that you think you are interested in and how far you are willing to travel. We have been married for 62 years. During our working life our hobbies and vacations all involved the great outdoors...hunting, fishing, hiking, boating, etc. I thought that would continue in retirement...only a small amount of it did continue. Before I retired we were transferred from the west coast to the easy coast. We remained here since retiring in 1999.

After arriving on the east coast my wife suggested that we take a few camping trips to historical areas, sites/towns and learn some of the eastern history. Well, for the last 25+ years we have traveled up and down the east coast visiting historical sites from Maine to Florida. We toured presidents homes, civil war battle fields many historic rice, cotton and indigo plantations and museums, toured lots of National Wildlife Refuges and learned the importance of protecting wildlife, wildlife habitat and the history of market hunting. We got hooked on visiting National Parks both historic and wild areas and their history and purpose. We really got hooked on learning the history of the Low-country of the east coast, the plantations and the history of slavery, slave trading and the Gullah Geechee Culture. We camped near and toured many historic towns and cities like Charleston, SC, Beaufort, NC and SC, Savannah, GA and many more taking the horse and buggy tours and visiting the city museums. I could go on and on and on about our history learning RV trips and there is more out there than we could possibly visit or learn about just on the east coast. Oh yeah, we aslo got hooked on Appalachian History and its music history which took us up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway, on the Crooked Road...The Virginia Music Trail and to many old country, bluegrass, dulsamer and old-tyme music festivals. museums and events.

My advice, just start visiting various historic sites, areas and museums, etc., and learn what history types interests you. You are likely to be surprised by what type history catches your interest and pulls you in. There is interesting history out there that you never have even heard of. Of course you should consider your family varying interests and share.

We learned about historic sites by searing online for state or region history, picking up information at visitor centers in cities and at state lines and library books on Historic Driving tours, etc.

I like the Dayton, OH, idea. The Air Force museum there is terrific, and I remember taking my kids there when they were about the same age.

Also, doesn't Dayton have a Wright Brother museum? That is where their bicycle shop originally was, I think.

Vicksburg is a little farther, but there is the civil war battlefield and also a riverboat museum.
And if you are a ham radio opertor ther's another major attraction just south of Dayton one weekend in may.. Though you might have a bit of trouble finding camping (I have attended that event twice I stayed at the Thousand Trails CG 17 miles to the south of it. )

Ditto on Gettysburg. So fascinating taking the self-guided tour of the battlefields, and then imagining that over 50,000 were dead and wounded in three days of battle.

Closer to Nashville is the WWll Museum in New Orleans. We just visited it in February and it is worth traveling to see.

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is a great destination. Not only is the arch spectacular, but the museum beneath the arch is full of history of building the arch and the challenges they faced, but the Westward expansion of the United States.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore1947
Back
Top Bottom