New Bathroom Door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevem

one thing that always annoyed us about our older kz spree 260 was that with the slideout in for travel, you could not access the bathroom!
more frequent quickie bathroom stops are a sign of older age and we always had to open the slideout!
so, i fixed it! gone is the old hinged door with a narrow opening, now we have a sliding door and a wider opening.
had to move the thermostat and a light switch on the other side, the rest was basic carpentry. new flooring in the bathroom is next.
oops, i have to resize my pics to upload them, i will post them later

355673748_10226868320988619_92374440059288399_n.jpg

355127999_10226868322588659_4628483639743242189_n.jpg

That’s great idea and an awesome job. Thanks for sharing. You should be proud.
thanks, been a professional carpenter/cabinet maker all my life, so this is easy stuff!
made the drawers under the dinette (in the slideout) too and some other little additions too

Looks good. I feel your pain - we had a TT with a slide that blocked the bathroom door. In an "emergency", that 10 seconds for the slide to move seemed like forever!
Exactly. any travellers worst nighmare words, "honey, i have to go RIGHT NOW" and who is going to open the slideout at the side of the road.
really dumb design, they could have moved the original door 18 inches over and the problem would be resolved. i would have done that but the wiring for the t'stat and a switch on the other side would have to be moved a lot further to another wall instead of the 12" that i did within the same stud bay.
i'll get some pics of other projects in there too

B
Exactly. any travellers worst nighmare words, "honey, i have to go RIGHT NOW" and who is going to open the slideout at the side of the road.
really dumb design, they could have moved the original door 18 inches over and the problem would be resolved. i would have done that but the wiring for the t'stat and a switch on the other side would have to be moved a lot further to another wall instead of the 12" that i did within the same stud bay.
i'll get some pics of other projects in there too
Oh we get the poor design part! Our old TT bathroom was weird. You couldn’t sit down in the toilet comfortably without your knees hitting the wall in front of you and almost pushing them up to your chest. It was best with one foot propped up on the shower pan.
We never went in the bathroom and gave it a trial sit before we got it.
With our ‘new’ TT we just got, I told DH to make sure we sit on the toilet with the door closed when we were viewing it the first time. 😂

My TT has the bathroom access blocked by slide as well, no room for slider, but we have an extra outside door to the bedroom/bath access. So on a stop, I go to kitchen door unlock then to bed/bath door, unlock and jump in.

Your hardware looks just like the hardware I used in my house, built 3 barn doors using that hardware. Bathroom and closet in master bed and access to the guest room. Nice hardware.
Oh, with bath closet, I butt-welded 2 of the rails and had to cut about 3" off so rail went from wall to wall. Fun project.

My TT has the bathroom access blocked by slide as well, no room for slider, but we have an extra outside door to the bedroom/bath access. So on a stop, I go to kitchen door unlock then to bed/bath door, unlock and jump in.

Your hardware looks just like the hardware I used in my house, built 3 barn doors using that hardware. Bathroom and closet in master bed and access to the guest room. Nice hardware.
Oh, with bath closet, I butt-welded 2 of the rails and had to cut about 3" off so rail went from wall to wall. Fun project.
the hardware came from lowes in canada but i' sure its pretty common. the door came from habitat for humanity. i had to cut the top and bottom off and fill in the resulting cavities top and bottom, i also added wood inside the door where the wheel brackets are bolted on. i made the wood parts for above the door and to hold the track away from the wall. door sides nicely between the wall and the slideout. all it needs now is a catch to hold it either open or closed particularly while towing

Maybe just a piece of 2” X 2” placed on the floor between the door and the right side wall like many do on a sliding glass door.

In my house I used a magnet catch, and for your I might suggest the same. Lowes has them it is more for a swing door, but I used one in the TT for a swing door and it never disengages while traveling. Basically a post and a magnet on the door. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom