New EV Laws in California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could there also be reasons why over a half million people have left the state in the last 3 years? I know it is very populated but that is a lot. Where does it rank as far as population density? I think it is out of the top 10.
The reason is cost. So many people wish to live here that it has become very expensive for anybody who makes less than 100K$ per year or so.

See here.

"Why are so many people choosing to leave California? Various factors contribute to decisions to move. The leading factor is cost — it is far more expensive to live in California than in other places, and multitudes have decided they are unable or unwilling to pay the premium to live in this state."

Also see here.

"A person working in California typically earns around 112,000 USD per year"

-Don- Auburn, CA

Here is a good write up on who's leaving CA. It's from the Public Policy Institute of California dated March 28, 2022.

Here are a few snippets

the primary driver of the state’s population loss over the past couple years has been the result of California residents moving to other states.

Since 2010, about 7.5 million people moved from California to other states, while only 5.8 million people moved to California from other parts of the country

People who move to California are different from those who move out. In general, those who move here are more likely to be working age, to be employed, and to earn high wages—and are less likely to be in poverty—than those who move away.

Those who move to California also tend to have higher education levels than those who move out

But the fact is that California has been losing lower- and middle-income residents to other states for some time while continuing to gain higher-income adults. In the past five years the flow of middle-income residents out of the state has accelerated and net gains among higher income adults have ceased.

People who move to California are different from those who move out.
Yep.

And another rule that is still true. If you sell your CA house and move to another state from CA, it is very unlikely that you will ever be able to afford to move back to CA.

One way to get around that is to do what I did. Keep a house here in CA and still move out to just across the border in NV.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Oh all the CSI shows the Phone expert says "He turned it off but I was able to turn it back on".
NO.. they can not (unless as someone suggested the phone is hacked).

OFF is OFF.
Now screen off.. (But still turned on) that's no problem.. Even I can "Remotly" activate the screen on my phone... But if it's off. it's off.

I think the on-off controversy is a bit of a misnomer and terminology problem. There are at least 3 power states for all the phones I can think of.

Airplane mode - Shuts off transmitting devices.
"Sleep" mode - Press the power button momentarily or wait until the phone times out. Basically only shuts off the screen.
Power Off mode - Usually press and hold the button for a few seconds, then answer the question, "Are you sure you want to power off the phone?", then the phone goes dark.

I am not an expert on cell phones but I know that people who are lost in the desert cannot be found after their phone battery goes dead. I believe that if you truly power down the phone it can't be located and it's the same as being dead.

"Since 2010, about 7.5 million people moved from California to other states, while only 5.8 million people moved to California from other parts of the country"

Interesting stats considering the States population grew by more than 2 million people over that same period. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/CA,US/PST045221

From my limited perspective, the more people leaving California the better. When I moved to California in 1977, the population was about 22 million. Today it is about 39 million.

So please, those that are thinking of moving out, move. Just don't take any water. :D

OFF is OFF.
In the case of trunking radios, only the system really turns them off. The term we used was "bricked". Say a portable radio is lost or stolen from the cops (which happens fairly often). We "brick" it, not having any idea where the portable radio is at and don't care much. It can never be turned on again until I or one of the other techs turn it back on through the system. If it is out of range of the control channel at the time, it cannot work anyway and as soon as it is in range, it becomes a brick. Won't even turn "on". That is why we call it a brick. The radio then works as well as any other brick. Until we turn it back on. Such as if a lost radio is found a few days later.

"Out of range" is totally different from the radio being off. The system knows which is which and if a radio tries to contact a radio which is off, it is a different beep to other radios that try to call it, from a radio way out of range where it has totally lost the control channel.

As for "airplane mode" of cell, I am not sure. The data bursts are so short even if they do work, they will not interfere with anything--and they are not sent often. It nothing like trying to actually use the radio that puts out a continuous carrier on a voice channel while transmitting.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
In the case of trunking radios, only the system really turns them off. The term we used was "bricked". Say a portable radio is lost or stolen from the cops (which happens fairly often). We "brick" it, not having any idea where the portable radio is at and don't care much. It can never be turned on again until I or one of the other techs turn it back on through the system.

One of the reasons I am NOT interested in DMR (The system you are describing) Oh I can work DMR with one of my devices (It's not brickable) but I don't.. I Did, professionally for about a decade.. but today I work D-Star.
But off, is still off if you are ultra worried pop the battery on that radio (They are all removable unlike modern cell phones)

As for "airplane mode" of cell, I am not sure. The data bursts are so short even if they do work, they will not interfere with anything--any they are not sent often. It nothing like trying to actually use the radio that puts out a continuous carrier on a voice channel while transmitting.
Modern Digital Cell phones do not continuous transmit They packet.

The rest of the USA could be VERY SLOWY trying to catch up with California:

"About 25.5% of U.S. electricity came from renewable energy sources in the first four months of 2022"

See here.

But the rest of the country still has a way to go to catch up to CA. CA is always the leader on such stuff.

-Don- Reno, NV

I'm not sure what the heck the second link (catch up to CA) is trying to say. I could not make any sense of it.

California renewable energy is about 35%

I guess I'm not getting this writers point. The dates make no sense, the percentages of renewables make no sense, the author makes no sense.

On April 30, 3033 at 2:50 p.m. we reached 99.87 percent of load served by all renewables, which broke the previous record set on April 3, 2022 of 97.58 percent," reads a statement from California Independent System Operator (CAISO), as per Vice. “The previous record was initially broken at 2:28 p.m., but the percentage of load served by renewables continually increased for about 20 minutes until 2:50 p.m. when it sustained 99.87 percent for approximately 2 minutes.”

I assumed a typo there between the 2's and 3's.

IOW, S/B:

"On April 30, 2022 at 2:50 p.m. we reached 99.87 percent of load served by all renewables, which broke the previous record set on April 3, 2022".

-Don- Reno, NV

"Since 2010, about 7.5 million people moved from California to other states, while only 5.8 million people moved to California from other parts of the country"

This doesn't seem to have hurt CA's GDP (which is the largest of all the states). . .

ca-gdp.jpg

The reason is cost. So many people wish to live here that it has become very expensive for anybody who makes less than 100K$ per year or so.

See here.

"Why are so many people choosing to leave California? Various factors contribute to decisions to move. The leading factor is cost — it is far more expensive to live in California than in other places, and multitudes have decided they are unable or unwilling to pay the premium to live in this state."

Also see here.

"A person working in California typically earns around 112,000 USD per year"

-Don- Auburn, CA
OK so what has driven up the cost to live there?

OK so what has driven up the cost to live there?

Primarily housing. I remember in the mid 90's my dad and I looked at some new construction in Rancho Cucamonga (SoCal) - 2200-2400 sq ft houses selling for like $275k - Those houses are now turning for like $1.3m.

With high housing comes higher wages in the professional sectors, fueled by a strong economy for jobs. On top of that are high taxes for gas and a fairly high state tax and sales tax structure.

Don's stats make total sense. If you are making north of $120k you can still live in Calif. If you are middle income and have owned your house for a long time you can also make it.

If you are below the median you are probably having a struggle.

It is hard to argue that the California economy isn't remarkable in its size. It seems like all contained strong economies the cost of living is really high and human stress levels go up. Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, New York, Chicago - etc etc...

"On April 30, 2022 at 2:50 p.m. we reached 99.87 percent of load served by all renewables, which broke the previous record set on April 3, 2022".
Except that CA only generated renewable energy of about 35% of total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DICKSOP
Back
Top Bottom