New Garmin RV 1090 10" GPS for RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

I just got an email from Garmin announcing their new RV 1090 GPS -- looks interesting but expensive, $700. Some new features, too, and apparently it's also available in 7" (the 785) and 8" (the 890) models, as well -- at lower cost, of course.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/763101?utm_source=Americas&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=en-US%20Delivery,%20RV%201090%20%7C%20Announcement%20Email%20%28MCJT-35295%29

Garmin apparently still hasn't figured out that GPS devices should be orientated portrait, not landscape.  You typically want to see where you're going to be, not what's beside you.  ::)

Back in the day that was one of my main complaints about GPS devices.  That and offering "text to speech" instead of "speech to text."  Smartphones took care of both those complaints.

Fortunately vehicle manufacturers are starting to figure that out as the screens become too large for landscape.

Can never be a large enough display.  Landscape is not a concern if the the screen is big enough.  They just need to make the display a higher res so there is more realestate displayed.

Goodspike said:
Garmin apparently still hasn't figured out that GPS devices should be orientated portrait, not landscape.  You typically want to see where you're going to be, not what's beside you.  ::)

On the 10" one they state on the website that you can use it either portrait OR landscape.

Larry N. said:
On the 10" one they state on the website that you can use it either portrait OR landscape.

I was going solely by the pictures they were using of it in operation.  Maybe it's their advertising firm that doesn't use a GPS.

BTW, it's been a long time since I've used a Garmin GPS, but I did consider them the best brand of GPS.  It's just their design limitations at the time bugged me--I was glad to be able to move on to something better.

Looks interesting, I might consider the 1090 or smaller 890 to replace my Dezl 770 which I bought lightly used 4 years ago this month.  Though in all honesty I will probably wait at least one more revision to do so, but this one does make me temped.

Goodspike said:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=imRO7YmKPT00bydlg4MRW7

Garmin automotive devices with an Android operating system have a setting in the Display settings menu called When device is rotated. This setting enables the screen to rotate automatically between portrait and landscape display modes based on the device's orientation or sets the device to remain in the current display mode regardless of its orientation.

Trying to understand what advantage you think portrait mode has over landscape? It seems it you're traveling a mostly northerly route, portrait might be preferred while east to west might work best in landscape mode. All this assuming one is using "North up" mode of coure.

I know some prefer the "Direction of travel" mode but perhaps due to years spent in navigation in the USN that doesn't make any sense to me at all.  ;D

I prefer the landscape mode, as most of the stuff I am interested in tends to be displayed to the side of the map, things like distance to next turn, speed limit, as well as the whats ahead function on the Garmin showing upcoming gas stations, food, etc.

jymbee said:
I know some prefer the "Direction of travel" mode but perhaps due to years spent in navigation in the USN that doesn't make any sense to me at all.  ;D

Yeah, I use direction of travel when I have a choice.  North up always bothers me when I'm headed south, but I understand the reason for it.  But yes with direction of travel you see a lot more of the road ahead, unless of course there's a 180 degree turn up ahead!

I have such a poor sense of direction that I lose situational awareness completely in track-up mode. I always use north-up for that reason. And Larry, I am going to blame you for getting Kevin on the Garmin website and muttering ?Ooooh, that looks interesting.?

Goodspike said:

I am one who wants to see more of the surrounding area.In the days of STREET ATLAS with GPS I found many places off the route I was on. The detours gave me many pleasurable memories. Now I am back to using DELORMES Topograhic paper maps. I really miss seeing the surrounding areas. I am not a point to point interstate RVer though which many are becoming today

I have one of the RV890 GPS. I had a RV770 and there are a few things I don?t like about the 890.
No ?grade? info. Why do a new model and drop a good RV feature.
No ?mute? on the screen (or anywhere). You have to press and hold buttons on the rear to raise & lower volume. Quite a stretch.
It doesn?t auto switch to map mode after driving a short while. Another thing to push to get going.
It doesn?t have a ?sandbag? mount available. Suction cup to windshield is default (illegal in my state) with a bold down mount and a ball for a Ram mount.

I do like a larger size. I like just pulling it off the mount to bring it inside to load trip plans.
I don?t care for the voice choices.

The big problem with a very large GPS is that it is very difficult to figure out how to mount it. I used to have a cup holder mount in the center console that put the GPS right next to me and was very east to read and hear. The 7 inch was a pain being in the way of putting things on the passenger seat and then removing them. I knocked the GPS over many times. I tried to use the center console for the 9 inch but it was just too big. The windshield mount was not on the table, I won't do one of those, it blocks too much of the front windshield. I decided to try a CD player mount and that works like gangbusters.I was worried the CD player would not play with the mount stuck in the drive but the CD still works and the GPS now covers the existing screen. The screen was only useful for the CD player controls, but I have a smart steering wheel and I can control the CD player from the steering wheel. The GPS was a bit thicker than the holder was built for so I had to Velco it in place. Works perfect and it is so easy to see the GPS now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C3ZKJYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• GPS mount (1).jpg
    GPS mount (1).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 31
I've got some flavor of 5" nuvi and rather than stick it on the dash or in the case of the RV, on the windshield five feet away I suction cup it to the driver window just below my line of sight to the side mirror.  In this location it's close enough to see and poke the screen, hear the other woman telling me where to go, and easily visible with the periodic mirror glance.  Sometimes I'll add a smartphone on a 2nd mount just ahead of it running torque to monitor a particular engine gauge or two.  Seems like a giant center screen like a tesla would be the answer but in general I don't want that much information to manage while underway.  There's something about a basic instrument or two that only does one thing and not ending up with a space shuttle cockpit that requires a flight engineer to manage.  Seems the user interfaces on most screen devices could be a lot better, the one in the family car is a prime example.  Big touch screen, nice and bright, but with tiny screen buttons bunched together you have to take your eyes off the road to manipulate.  I use a test instrument at work with context sensitive screen controls that is highly intuitive and easy to use, so some companies do it far better than others.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

[From Garmin site]Garmin automotive devices with an Android operating system have a setting in the Display settings menu called When device is rotated.

I think about random things at night and last night I recalled reading this.  Not sure what OS Garmin was using the last time I owned a Garmin device but it wasn't Android.  Running Android probably allowed them to easily make this change.

But if they're running Android I wonder why they don't jump into the app market.  They can't be making that much money off the hardware side, but all I'm seeing for Android apps is something for their fitness watch and something that works when connected to a few of their other devices.  Seems like Blockbuster style management to totally ignore that market, although I realize competing against very good free products is tough.

UTTransplant said:
I have such a poor sense of direction that I lose situational awareness completely in track-up mode. I always use north-up for that reason. And Larry, I am going to blame you for getting Kevin on the Garmin website and muttering ?Ooooh, that looks interesting.?
We gadget freaks have to stick together, Pam...  ::) :D ;D

SeilerBird said:
The big problem with a very large GPS is that it is very difficult to figure out how to mount it.

My first Garmin device was a Garmin i2, which had a black & white 2.5" display.  I think it cost over $600 as I recall, same as my first DVD player.  No problem with mounting!  :-*

Goodspike said:
My first Garmin device was a Garmin i2, which had a black & white 2.5" display.  I think it cost over $600 as I recall, same as my first DVD player.  No problem with mounting!  :-*
Mine was a Magellan about the same size. It lasted less than six months before I threw it away. First gen GPSs sucked. Not ready for prime time. It cost about $500.

Back
Top Bottom