New to RVs, need a recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in the town of Oracle, AZ where wildlife abounds, winters are short and frequently get a little below freezing, and summers are long, hot and dry. I know very little about RV ownership. It's not urgent, but I am seeking sometime this year an RV that can accommodate myself, 1 cat, and 2 large dogs. It needs to have at least two rooms with a door so I can separate animals if necessary. I need to be able to install a doggy door in the RV. It needs to be able to be towed by an older model Toyota Tundra or similar. I don't have a metal storage building to enclose an RV. Is there a way that I can reliably protect my RV from leaks, mold, water damage, termites and pack rats apart from a metal storage building? What do you recommend for my unique situation? Thanks so much for your help.

No mention if this is for travel or stationary. Define "accommodate". Not sure what the tow rating of your Tundra is but it's fair to assume a travel trailer somewhere around 24-26' is going to be about it. Most of your concerns of water/critter ingress is mitigated by repair/maintenance (mandatory for all RV's). Keeping it from turning into a hotbox in the summer is going to be difficult even with shore power.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

No mention if this is for travel or stationary. Define "accommodate". Not sure what the tow rating of your Tundra is but it's fair to assume a travel trailer somewhere around 24-26' is going to be about it. Most of your concerns of water/critter ingress is mitigated by repair/maintenance (mandatory for all RV's). Keeping it from turning into a hotbox in the summer is going to be difficult even with shore power.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
When I say accommodate, I mean a place I and my animals can live in with little travel. My cat and dogs would stay in the RV pretty much full-time while I'd go back and forth between my parents' house and my RV which would be on their property since I live with my parents. We're on almost 2 acres of fenced land.

When I mention the Tundra truck, it's not mine; it belongs to my uncle who I was considering enlisting for help in towing the future RV to my location. I could also call a professional RV transporter in the area if I opt for a longer, wider RV. I'd prefer an RV of about 30-32 ft in length, but I might also settle for one with the length you mentioned.

A lot of the RVs I've seen for sale in towns near me have working AC units.

What sort of maintenance should I expect to do for my RV and how often? Could you give me an estimated yearly budget for RV maintenance costs? (I'm not a handy person, so I'd be asking for outside help.)

If it will be stationary you would be much better off with a small "park model" mobile home. Which is probably cheaper. An RV isn't built like a house on wheels like a mobile home is. An RV is built from the lightest weight materials for driving or towing. An RV doesn't have much insulation because it is built for camping weather between 30-90 degrees. Your electric bill would likely be half as much in a mobile home. An RV needs a lot of maintenance and a mobile home requires very little. And consider how you hook up electric, water, and sewer. A mobile home is built for permanent hookups whereas an RV is built for temporary hookups.

If it will be stationary you would be much better off with a small "park model" mobile home. Which is probably cheaper. An RV isn't built like a house on wheels like a mobile home is. An RV is built from the lightest weight materials for driving or towing. An RV doesn't have much insulation because it is built for camping weather between 30-90 degrees. Your electric bill would likely be half as much in a mobile home. An RV needs a lot of maintenance and a mobile home requires very little. And consider how you hook up electric, water, and sewer. A mobile home is built for permanent hookups whereas an RV is built for temporary hookups.
Thank you!

Maintenance/repair of RV's is perpetual - there is always something that needs to be done even just to operate one much less keep up with wear and failures. Constant monitoring of systems, turning things on and off, deploying/stowing stuff, filling and draining of tanks. RV's may have appointments like a home such as appliances, lights, carpeting, furniture but they're not built or operate like a home. Example, RV's have A/C but it's anything like A/C in a home. They're loud, and because RV's are poorly insulated it's unlikely you will reach 70's on hot days, and the thing will run nonstop which uses a ton of electricity. Same for cold days. The heater will be doing all it can to keep up, condensation inside is a big problem and you'll go through a ton of propane which is expensive. These aren't exceptions, it's normal. When you only spend a week at a time or whatever camping or traveling, then these distractions don't usually amount to much, you're out "making memories". When you're stuck in a 200 square foot box crammed full of all your stuff, and animals, the daily grind of keeping the thing going gets old in a hurry. It's not practical or affordable to expect someone else to do all the upkeep, even a "handyman" is going to run you hundreds for service calls, and there will be a lot of them. So while living full time in a camper has been done it's not something you want to do long term if you have other options, unless it's your idea of adventure.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The biggest trailer is only 400 sq ft, so not a lot of space for an adult, two large dogs & the cat. One that a Tundra could move is barely half that, maybe 25 ft, so better plan on a pro delivery. A 32 footer will be about 270 sq ft, even with slide out extensions. Go look at a few on the sales lots and get a feel for the livable space.

Yes they have a/c and furnaces. No those aren't very efficient, nor is the RV insulation anywhere close to that of a site built home or apartment. Take heed of Mark's and TheBar's cautions.

At your parents farm you will need 50A/240v electric service, fresh water source (hose), and sewer line access.

Back
Top Bottom