No More Roaming For TMHI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, it used to be 50GB, a miss type. The current plans says unlimited based of Pam and Kevin's post HOWEVER, notice the Management over 100 GB. Read throttle, but to what. Inquiring minds want to know. Throttling usually means an unusable speed for anything other than email. When a provider says unlimited, they are just not telling you the whole truth. My T-Mobile Home Internet and older AT&T Car Connect are truly unlimited, for now. T-Mobile has also just started "deprioritizing" Home Internet for those using 1.2 terabytes. But I am not sure if that will be for everyone or just new accounts. Time will tell but unlimited internet is simply a marketing phrase. Keep that in mind whenever you're choosing a provider. Chuck

The other question is how long deprioritzation lasts once it's imposed. Verizon and Visible only deprioritize during periods of actual network congestion, speeds go back up when the congestion eases. I believe T-Mobile and AT&T slow you for the remainder of the billing period.

I'm considering options and would like to know the cost of FMCA's T-Mobile offering. Can't find that info on FMCA site without becoming a member.
Would an FMCA member care to share what the current cost is for the 5gb hotspot through that organization?
As I recall The FMCA plan was 50+50 but you'd need to log in (plus membership if not a member) That's 50/month + 50 initial setup.. but that was also a few years back. and SPRINT at the time. (T=Mobile bought sprint like a month after I signed up) It worked very well better than my T-mobile home internet in some respects but where as I can plug my Personal Router into the "home" box. not so on the RV-box. I had to link to it via wi-fi and all my wi-fi to ethernet adapters are 2.4 Ghz only .

I only hit the limit on my T-mobile once.. The month my wife died. (Lots of e-mails and faxes and so on lots of data) but I do not stream a ton of video either. I get my video for the most part the old fashion way (VIA RF.. Also known as Television)

Beginning May 8th T-Mobile will begin "Geofencing" their Home Internet service so there will be no more taking your router with you on the road. At the same time they will be offering a mobile service for, get this, $160.00 a month. If your caught with your router outside your home address area they can and will cancel your service. T-Mobile can easily tell if your router has moved or is moving. Most likely you will get an initial warning but there is no guarantee. The free ride is over. Chuck

So much for "Mobile" They going take a tip from Elon and change their name to "T" ?

Yeah...that's a bummer. We have TMHI as a backup at home, and we thought it could be a Starlink backup on the road, but clearly, not anymore. TMHI hasn't been very performant at home, very disappointing. But, we're in an underserved area for broadband and TM's local tower is pretty much tapped out. It completely chokes twice per day - when parents drop their kids off at school, and again when they pick up. And then it's slow all evening.

PureTalk 5G service works perfectly for us. We stream HD video all the time with it. I switched from Verizon and get better service for 1/3 the cost.

PureTalk uses AT&T networks and gets deprioritized when towers get congested. Their data plan is up to 30GB on a hotspot for $65.00 monthly. We can usually use this in a couple of hour. And that's the most expensive "unlimited" plan.

Verizon and Visible only deprioritize during periods of actual network congestion, speeds go back up when the congestion eases. I believe T-Mobile and AT&T slow you for the remainder of the billing period.
With full disclosure that I don't know the acutal facts re. deprioritization, based solely on my experience once you hit the "limit" with Verizon, you're SOL until the end of that billing cycle. IOW, just settle for things like slowly checking your email. Forget about streaming anything.

For Visible, there are 2 unlimited options. I had the less expensive premium plan for a couple of years. Then I switched to the $45/month plan ($35/month with autopay). It promises the first 50 gb per month won't be deprioritized. I've used 100 gb to over 200 gb and have not experience any reduction. I stream a lot of TV each month using my Visible hotspot.

Back
Top Bottom