Non-RV door install question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

My garage has a rear entry door that needs replacing. The door jams are toast so I will be buying a pre-hung door. Home Depot wants $798 to install the door. It's a 32 x 80 fiberglass door that weighs about 100 lbs. I've never done windows or exterior doors, but for $798 I'm thinking maybe I should try. So for those of you who are or were home improvement contractor or did handyman work, how hard is it?

if the rough opening is square, fairly straight forward but it does require some experience.

watching videos will be very helpful.

Fairly easy if you have the right tools and supplies. If you don't it might be better to hire a handyman.

The trick is to concentrate on the hinge side. Everything "hinges" on that. Once the jamb is perfectly square and the hinge side is plumb, with the space between the door edge and the striker side evenly spaced ( the reveal should ideally be about 1/8" all around) and the hinge side fastened, just screw it in at the shim locations on the striker side. The top you can just shim but no need to use screws ( if you screw it in in between the shim locations it will pull the jamb away from the door).

Last edited:
You are going to need a second person to hold the door in the rough opening until you get it anchored on the hinge side otherwise it may fallout onto the ground causing damage to the door.

The difference between a handyman and someone who's never done it before it just the efficiency of getting the frame plumb/square/true. The only way to gain that experience is to see and do. Watch some videos to see how and where to shim. Spend all the time it takes to get the gap right and so the door contacts the jambs evenly all the way around. One thing I'll do after it's set is to take a middle screw out of the frame side of the hinges and sink a 3" deck screw through the hinge into the rough opening, which takes some of the stress off the frame and I think is a more sturdy install. Same for the strike plate on an exterior door, instead of 1/2" screws or whatever into the frame I'll use deck screws all the way through to the rough opening which makes it a bit harder to bust open.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If you have a reciprocating saw (sawsall), it will make removing old door much easier and cleaner. If you are somewhat handy, it is a doable job. It will be easier with a helper to carry door and hold in place.

Great information. Thanks for all the responses. I have most of the tools needed but might pick up a cordless finish nailer and maybe a 6 ft level. The one thing I am missing is the strength of a younger man :mad:. One of my concerns is a small section at the bottom of one jam. It's either dry rotted or I've got a bigger problem, termites. The videos are great.

following removal of the existing door, frame and moulding, evidence of any bugs/rot will be evident. clean things out and spray the crap outa it with a good termite concentrate. if its gone to far, removing the bad sections and replacement become an option.

you will need a mitre saw for the finish work. a nailer is helpful if you are not good with a hammer. the frame should be spaced up off the floor a half inch or so both sides to give the ends a chance to dry when wet. once the door is set, insulation sides and top before the moulding is helpful to keep therms in. you may need to paint it too so be ready for that if needed.

This is the sort of job where some experience is the key, i.e. know what to do and where to do it. Getting the old door frame out may be just as challenging as installing the new one if you don't know where & how to attack it. Good tools can make the job easier, but are not the secret to success.

There are some videos on YouTube that can help you learn what to do. One already posted, but here are a couple more:

Removal video very helpful. I hadn't given much thought that part. I'm not going to reuse the jams but don't want to damage the studs they're nailed in to. House is stucco so I'll have to add another tool to the list. An angle grinder. The video says to use a diamond bit. Is that right or did he mean a diamond blade?

FWIW, my husband was a builder and he eventually specialized in old houses. He always uses an old fashion plumb bob before he removes the old door so he can see how out of whack it is. Most old doors aren’t square and they all “settle” he says. What he does after that sometimes takes hours or days, depending on how many times he has to go to home depot. Has seriously lessened the excessive language used. From a wife’s POV.4A9EA6BF-C1FA-487B-A945-C0E147914BBD.jpeg

Removal video very helpful. I hadn't given much thought that part. I'm not going to reuse the jams but don't want to damage the studs they're nailed in to. House is stucco so I'll have to add another tool to the list. An angle grinder. The video says to use a diamond bit. Is that right or did he mean a diamond blade?
Blade, it will work fine for Stucco, Dryvit or EIFS (synthetic Stucco). Just be careful an angle grinder will eat your lunch, especially when used for cutting applications where there's the temptation to remove the guard. A 4 1 /2" should do anything you need. Sometimes you have to go to the tile section to find a diamond blade.

Blade, it will work fine for Stucco, Dryvit or EIFS (synthetic Stucco). Just be careful an angle grinder will eat your lunch, especially when used for cutting applications where there's the temptation to remove the guard. A 4 1 /2" should do anything you need. Sometimes you have to go to the tile section to find a diamond blade.
Thanks. Thought it was the blade but wanted to make sure.

Removed a small section of jam. Used a reciprocating saw with metal blade. That did a pretty good job. The jam is 1 1/4" thick. Typical 70+ year old home replacement issues. Doubt they make anything close today. I've got a table saw, compound sliding miter saw and router so could probably make a jam if I can't find anything suitable.

I managed to remove that small section of jam without damaging the stucco so I'm thinking I can do the install myself. I'll use some of that money to buy any tools I don't have. Always like buying tools.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HenryPel
Back
Top Bottom