Our new flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ernie,

gee, I thought you would be the manager by now, not the carpet layer anymore!! 

I've been down with more lung problems but I will go and take pictures tomorrow!!  Well maybe!!

Ernie Ekberg said:
Jim- post some pictures, I need the business. Ernie- in humid Texas

Ernie,
Our Bird needs a new floor in the galley and bathroom. But I want tile, ceramic, porcelain, or etc.

Liz

Liz,

We got tile in this motorhome and I really like it.  It goes all the way from the front door to the bedroom.  No more carpet cleaning!  ;)  I would comment on two things, however.  First, we would recommend the narrowest grouting.  Ours was supposed to have been narrow but they laid it with 1/4 inch grout and, by the time we saw photos, the cabinets had been put in and it was too late to change without great expense and hassle.  Second, be sure the grout is well sealed immediately.  Most  RV mfgrs. do not seal the grout; it's up to the purchaser to do it.  Our deal with Monaco - to make up for their mistake - was their promise to seal the grout extra well with a good quality sealer.  They did as promised and it's been wonderful.  I've had spills, grease, and even tar that came up immediately without any stains (can't say the same for the grout in our house which was poorly done).  The way to tell if the grout is properly sealed is to pour a little water on the grout.  If the water "beads" then it's a good job.  If it doesn't bead and soaks in, it's not done properly and you will get stains.  After almost five years and 30,000 miles of bouncing down highways, we're beginning to notice a few places where the grout and tile are separating, but they aren't very noticeable unless you're looking for them.  It's not like there are unsightly cracks across the grout, just loosening parallel to the tile lines.  Also, Pamela advised me to put a rug in front of the refrigerator in case anything falls out after driving.  I did that so there have not been any problems with cracked tiles which worried me initially.

We also would recommend porcelain because it's the same color all the way through.  If you do happen to get a gouge or crack it won't be as noticeable.  If you get regular tile the color is on the surface and a chip might show up as white when you have a colored tile.

ArdraF

Attachments

• Executive tile floor.JPG
    Executive tile floor.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 71
We originally intended to extend the tile we have in the bathroom and kitchen area to the front of the coach but the Power Gear flat floor slide we have rests on the floor when it is retracted and Bradd & Hall were concerned that that weight would crack the tile, hence the decision to use hardwood.

There must be quite a few built that way because when I mentioned wanting tile the first question Brad asked was if it would be under a slide.

Jeff,

I'd have to agree with the slide cracking the tile. We had two cracks in our tile, which the factory fixed, because the wall sat on the tile and flexed down the road. Now it is just above by a fraction with no further cracking.

Ned,

The new floor looks great. Question, did they remove the slide? If not how far under the slide were they able to get the new flooring. We are considering re-flooring, but are very concerned about removing the slide.

Ken

Ken, they didn't remove the slideout for the flooring, but they did remove the sofa.  The new flooring extends under the slideout far enough so you can't see the edge.  They put a quarter round molding under the sink as well.  I don't know about a dinette slideout, that may have to be done differently than our kitchen slideout.

Ken & Sheila said:
Ned,

The new floor looks great. Question, did they remove the slide? If not how far under the slide were they able to get the new flooring. We are considering re-flooring, but are very concerned about removing the slide.

Ken

Ken,

When we spoke to Habingers in Decatur about redoing our carpet a few years ago they said they did not need to remove the slide. The owner should know since he owns a Dream. Did his in Marble!!! They also said to buy the best carpet since most of the cost was in labor! We haven't had it done but should. Can't believe the coach is almost 8 years old!! Two more years and they might not let us into TGO!! ;D ;D ;D

Ken,

Our slide was neither removed nor tipped to do the carpet.  The carpet on the slide was lifted and gave all the access we needed.   Newmar Dutch Star.

All, this is very interesting about the tile and slideout.  Our kitchen-sofa slideout glides in over the tile and does not seem to have presented any problems.  In fact, the first little grout-tile separation I noticed was near the front door and not even near the slide.  We do move the small rug I have in front of the sink, but that's so the slide roller doesn't go over it and cause an unlevel condition or, worse, get stuck in the out position.  Precautionary more than anything.

ArdraF

Ardra

You have a Monaco with the kitchen slide which has rollers under the slide like ours does and that makes a very big difference, I believe.

Howdy, Ardra.
Thanks for your message and for uploading the photo of the tile floor in your coach. What color is that tile? It looks like off white, bone? Your point on the grout is well taken. I"ll remember that.

Thanks again,
Liz

Lorna, we'll go look later and see what's there.  ;)  Jerry's busy playing with his new USB wireless thingy.

Liz, it's basically beige with tanish flecks for the "design."  It matches the light cherry cabinets nicely.  And, even though we have a blue coach, the fabric trims are kind of tan so it all blends together pretty well.  By the way, I also like the shiny marble-like finish because it's easy to clean and looks nice.  In case you don't know about porcelain, it has a consistent pattern on every piece.  What varies when laid is not the design itself but how the layer-person sets it on the floor.  In other words, it's possible to have the exact same pattern placement for each tile, although changing them around makes a more varied looking floor.  I suspect the layer would prefer not to have to check every tile to make sure it's laid the exact same way.

ArdraF

Wish me luck.  99 Gulfstream Voyager 34 foot.  I just started to rip up the old flooring and will post some pics.  Luckily I am not in a major hurry, just as long as it is ready by Jan 3, 2008 for the FL trip.

Jim, hope you don't get the crud like you had earlier this year.
Liz, we can do ceramic. You might have to vacate the coach and stay in a -- bite my tongue-- motel.
I am actually in management. Feels weird not physically working everyday. Hope I don't put on a bunch of weight.
Ernie- in cool texas- humidity went south

The coffee table lifts up and serves as a dining table for 2 on the sofa.  We also have a wood tray table and the center of the desk pulls out into a full dining table.  We've fed 7 in the coach at one time.  The dinette was removed for the desk.

Back
Top Bottom