Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
... Naples, Italy I have to say that Naples  was the best.... The pizza in Naples was a thin crust with just the right amount of red sauce, cheese and fresh basil. Cooked in a true wood fired pizza oven. Delicious.

I remember when the family and I first moved to Naples and ate Pizza
where we held the slice and ate with our hands.  Everyone there knew were new because the Italians used knives and forks to eat Pizza. Those were the days.

[quote author=Seon]Everyone there knew were new because the Italians used knives and forks to eat Pizza.[/quote]
I got a strange look at a pizzeria somewhere in Europe when I asked for a knife and fork the first time I ate pizza  :-[

I ate lots of pizza in Portugal, Gibraltar (at a British pub) and Spain.  It was the only thing with any spice!

Roy M said:
You found their  food quite bland?

Yes I did. 

I admit it: I am a pepper head.  I found a bottle of imported Mexican hot sauce at a market in Madrid.  That evening we were served grilled salmon that tasted like it had no seasoning on it at all.  No salt, no lemon, nothing.  Just thrown on the grill.  I used the hot sauce and passed it to my son & grandson.

[quote author=Tom]...I asked for a knife and fork the first time I ate pizza  :-[ [/quote]
Some years later I brought an engineer over to CA from the UK for a couple of months. He attacked his first hard taco with a knife and fork (it disintegrated).

I guess I'm just a simpleton.  I like most pizzas but Little Caesar's 3 meat treat is the best so far.  If I order through the app as I leave the house I can stop at the adjacent Walmart and pick up a 2 liter bottle of Sam's Club cola, then the pizza is ready when I get to Little Caesar's.

Tom said:
Some years later I brought an engineer over to CA from the UK for a couple of months. He attacked his first hard taco with a knife and fork (it disintegrated).

One of my Indian co-workers said " You Americans don't know what spicy is."  I took him to a burrito place that had nuclear habanero salsa.  I warned him.  He used lots of it.  As I watched beads of sweat form on his forehead and tears roll down his cheeks I asked, "So what were you saying about Americans not not knowing spicy?".  He's working in the UK now.

I have about 100 bottles of hot sauces I've gotten during our travels.

8Muddypaws said:
One of my Indian co-workers said " You Americans don't know what spicy is."  I took him to a burrito place that had nuclear habanero salsa.  I warned him.  He used lots of it.  As I watched beads of sweat form on his forehead and tears roll down his cheeks I asked, "So what were you saying about Americans not not knowing spicy?".  He's working in the UK now.

I have about 100 bottles of hot sauces I've gotten during our travels.

That brought back memories. A friend of ours had never eaten sushi and ate a tablespoon of Wasabi. I told him to spit it out and he said he likes hot food. He was trying to keep his composure and he was overwhelmed. He admitted it was really really hot.

I tried a very little piece of a Thailand pepper once and my month was on fire. I never realized peppers could get that hot.

My wife is half Indian. I find Indian food very flavorful but not hot; just a lot of unique favors.

But anyway, back on pizza. When I lived in Fort Lauderdale, there were two Italian brothers from Brooklyn, New York and they made the best cheese pizza. They would cut the slices really big so you had to fold them; traditional New York style pizza.

I had a Malaysian friend who took me to his aunts home for lunch. She asked if I liked spicy food and I said yes (coming from a household of English background my experience was very limited). Well, I learned a lesson that day! :eek: I had no idea food could be that hot, I didn't want to be rude and spit it out but was scared to swallow. After my taste buds were seared I actually enjoyed it. I still like hot but don't want the spices to overpower the food.

Hi Old_Crow,

How was the Silly AL's Pizza? I sometimes put hot sauce on my pizza to enjoy.

camperAL said:
Hi Old_Crow,

How was the Silly AL's Pizza? I sometimes put hot sauce on my pizza to enjoy.

Actually got side tracked working on my rig.  Today!

I was never a big hot sauce fan.  My wife's family is Mexican, and the food they serve doesn't need added spice.  Then we went to Avery Island(home of the Tabasco factory)and I tried all the different versions they make.  I keep a bottle of the Chipolte and a bottle of their Garlic hot sauce in the cabinet now, and use them regularly.

There is a great place here called Krazy Karls.  They have unique combinations like chicken tenders & waffles, mac n cheese with bacon, loaded baked potato is waffle fries, bacon, jalapenos onions, and the simple cheese pizza is with 7 different cheeses!  Before covid they were krazy (get it?) busy, dinning in was most of the evening.  Now Take out or delivery is about 2 hours, have to plan ahead.

We try to stop at mom & pop places when traveling.  But if we're at a campsite close to town I'll order from Domino's.  Haven't tried Marco's yet, but was impressed with the episode of Undercover Boss done on them a couple of years ago.  Ordered from Red Robin the other night & noticed they had pizza on their menu. 

California Kitchen is the kind I like for frozen, Sams Club has good ones too.  DH is not a big pizza fan so can make him a big salad to go along with it.  I am going to have to learn how to cook  pizza in the convection oven in the new-to-us coach!

Tom that pizza sounds great!  We like pizza hut and get the chicken luau one along with some garlic parmesan wngs.  Delicious!

8Muddypaws said:
My parents owned a pizza parlor when I was in high school.  I didn't eat pizza for 20 years after that. 

That's funny.  My hubby would have considered you Blessed!

Looking back on it now I think I was.  But when I wasn't working one of my other two jobs I was unpaid slave labor in the the kitchen.  At the time I was dating the girl who became my wife and that's where I wanted to be.

I learned all my moms recipes except her Roquefort dressing.  I wish I had paid more attention to that one.  I've been looking and experimenting for years and have never even gotten close.  She made gallon batches and it would be gone in a couple of days.  5 gallon batches of potato salad wouldn't last a whole day.  Several regular customers would ask if we had potato salad.  If we didn't they went somewhere else.

I made money arm wrestling guys at the bar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom