Propane detector replacement, install 90° (sideways)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

My Atwood propane detector is due for replacement, they have discontinued the model I have.
The new ones won't cover the existing opening unless I mount it sideways, turn it 90 degrees.
Do you think this will be an issue?

Thanks

You must have installation instructions. Does it mention rotation at all? If it doesn’t, I would mount it anyway you want

Reactions: SMR
Not familiar with an Atwood LP detector. What did you order for a replacement? Can you post pics of the Atwood.

I'm guessing it looks like this? They are still for sale on the internet, but possibly old stock.
atwood-12v-rv-lp-gas-detector-white-36720-91088601.jpg

I'm guessing you ordered a MTI Safe T Alert of some model or another.

Charles

It's just like the one in Charles post. This is the one I purchased

Techamor RV Propane Gas Detector, Digital Propane/LP Gas Alarm-12vDC for Motorhome Travel Trailer, Motor Coach, Truck Camper, (R501 Series Flush Mount-Black)​

And I thought the MTI Safe T Alerts were expensive! I always recommend them, as they are fairly popular and come in several different variations (LP only, LP/CO, black/white/brown, etc)

Charles

You probably have one of the Safe T Alert 30-442-P-BR Classic Propane/LP Gas Alarm - 12V, 30 Series Flush Mount units. While Amazon does show them as in-stock, they are expensive and you have another ordered so I think that I would use it. I highly doubt that the positioning matters but it would be pretty easy to make a cover for the opening of wood that is close in color for the existing hole and then mount the new one to it. I have done that before and I just used pine and stained it to match the existing plywood.

This is what I have.

Attachments

• 16870113370066464399271032173708.jpg
    16870113370066464399271032173708.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2
About the only time it makes a difference is if there's a propane shutoff solenoid. The older ones were 3.5 Volt I believe & the new detectors put out 12 Volts, so you need to replace or adapt the valve too.

Back
Top Bottom