Propane generator hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Propane fittings are none of these, they are similar looking but do not interchange. I'm not sure who sets the standards, (It appears that ANSI Z21.XX is the standard that covers Sockets and Plugs for LP and Natural Gas, certification to the standard is done by CSA or other organizations) but they are a standard design that if advertised for low pressure propane, will work. They have a thinner wall and larger opening thru them. Always brass.

If you want a real, made to the standards, meets all the specs including markings and such, go with one made by MB Sturgis or Marshall Excelsior.

Female couplers will have a miniature ball valve incorporated in them.

Curiously, my trailer had a genuine MB Sturgis coupler on it, and the China made nipple on the hose would not fit. It was two or three thousandths larger than what it should have been and would not go in. I had a China made coupler and replaced the MB Sturgis with it. Here is what I found when I removed the one Bigfoot had installed from the factory. Yes, they used the proper yellow thread tape on the threads.
I have replaced both male and female propane connectors with brass Automotive-style connectors with no problems and no leakage. Those female connectors also have a ball valve in them.

Well, I thought the hose that came with the Pulsar looked like the one you pictured above (from a couple of unboxing videos I watched) - but I was waiting until tomorrow when my generator arrives to make sure.

I guess I'm back to trying to figure out (not sure how at this point...) if the motorhome regulator will be enough to run the generator using a hose directly from my Motorhome quick connect to the threaded Pulsar generator connection.

As posted earlier this is the hose I bought and I connected today to my Motorhome quick connect - a little tight but seems to be securely connected.

Amazon.com

Last edited:
It works!

I'm pretty excited - we'll see about durability but I got the Pulsar connected to a regular 20lb tank and it starts right up and powers my motorhome - AC plus...
Then I connected it directly to my RV quick connect using the hose linked above and it works great.
Pretty quiet as well. I put a magnetic dipstick in it so I'm going to change the oil after an hour or so of use and let the motor get broken in, but so far I'm pleased with the performance.

OK, I finally found my generator lp fuel consumption numbers.

It takes about 2 hp to produce 1000 watts.

1 hp consumes about 10,000 btu/hr

Propane contains about 92,000 btu per gallon.

LP weigh's about 4.2 lb/gal

Standard 20 lb propane cylinder (BBQ grill) holds 441,600 btu's
30 lb cylinder holds 653,200 btu.

If I start my Onan 2500 watt LP generator under my Bigfoot trailer............ Yes, underneath.....
and turn on the Air Conditioner, the fridge is running on AC and the water heater is running on AC plus the converter is producing 12v DC, then the generator is fully loaded or possibly overloaded :eek:

I am consuming about 50,000 btu/hr, thus one of my 30 lb LP cylinders will last for about 13 hrs until empty (probably less to be honest) and when I replaced the LP regulator ("just because") I installed a Marshall Excelsior MEGR253H which is the high flow model of their standard travel trailer type auto changeover regulator (identified by its green color) which is 350,000 btu/hr normal capacity. I could have stuck with the standard version (no paint) at 225,000 btu/hr but didn't realize how much, or little, LP a generator consumed, and wanted more cushion in the numbers.

71PYOwx4UIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The Marshall Excelsior regulators used on motor homes are generally are MEGR-291 models that mount horizontal and have the downward facing vent.

81dHh1GZnJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Charles

Attachments

• genny looking fwd lh side.jpg
    genny looking fwd lh side.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 4
Don't think I tried (running at full load) - ran the AC and the hot water tank, converter...don't remember the wattage I was pulling but I'll check it out more closely. I was happy to get the AC running.

Been searching for this answer for days. Just to clarify when you are using the rv quick connect without a regulator it’s not leaking when the generator is off? Does this mean there is an internal regulator/meter so there is no back flow due a lack of a vacuum? Sorry most of the YouTube videos use the meter part and disconnect the regulator. I believe you mentioned it his as well. Last question I have a watchdog as well what is a grounding plug and which one did you use. Sorry for all the questions.

Found this it it’s only 15 amp
Amazon.com

I already have to use an adapter to the generator for 30 amp to the event plug. Using this below. Not sure how to use the watchdog on 30 amp as I can’t find a ground neutral plug for nema l5 -30p

NEMA L5-30P Twist-Lock Power Plug to TT-30R Ready Outlet 120V 30-Amp​

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom