Quilters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggbert

Hello there fellow quilters!  So I have been testing out multiple block patterns for a quilt for the RV/TT (going with a TT) and I just haven't found a block I love for a summer quilt until now. A week ago, I made a bunch of HSTs and settled on a very simple diamond pattern after many test blocks, but it really didn't speak to me and I may just scrap it, put it in one of the bunks, or donate it to a shelter...which I will probably end up doing if I ever finish it.  Today, I was on Pinterest and found the quilt for my bed.  It's a map of the USA - with HI and AK by CA.  It is too perfect for a RV/TT.  You can embroider your travels onto the quilt!  I cannot wait to make it, thought I'd share it with you.  I've linked it below.  It not a traditional quilt as it is applique.  I've never appliqued before so this ought to be interesting! 

Are there many quilters here? Do you quilt on the road?  Do you have a sewing machine in your RV/TT?

For my winter quilt, I really want to go Scandinavian (getting in touch with my Scandinavian roots) so I will make a Christmasy fair isle quilt. 

If you are having trouble trying to figure out a quilt design for the RV/TT, check this out: https://www.fabric.com/blog/u-s-map-quilt-tutorial/?cm_mmc=Email-_-20170526_D_S_C-_-Default-_-SummerFabrics&cm_em&spMailingID=15285050&spUserID=MTQ3MDYyOTAxNDAzS0&spJobID=983880897&spReportId=OTgzODgwODk3S0

I am in love!

FWIW, there is a very active "RV Quilters" group on Facebook. Over 14K members! Tons of quilters quilt and sew while on the road!!

I'm not a quilter but Donna who used to be on the RV Forum is.  She carried a sewing machine and all the "stuff" she needed to quilt.  We enjoyed going to quilting stores and I still have some of them in my GPS from those years following her around.  They had a huge cupboard over their bed where she stored quilts while traveling.  They're no longer RVing but she has a new home and finally has lots of walls on which to hang her quilts.  It's nice to see them out of trunks!

ArdraF

I'm curious if you all have a stash or if you tend to only take along what you have chosen for certain projects?  I tend to like having a stash to pull from as the mood strikes me.  I don't really expect I will do any quilting in the camper.  That doesn't mean I can't hit the quilt shops along the way! 

Suggestion for quilt shops-RV parking!

Donna and I always enjoyed Quiltique on Stephanie in Henderson NV (near Las Vegas).  They have lovely fabrics and all are arranged by color so it's a neat store just to wander through.  She bought quite a few things there.

ArdrF

I am not full time, so I just bring the quilt I am working on. I want it at least all cut since I am spoiled by my huge cutting table at home. If I don?t have anything handy, I bring a kit from Quilts for Kids. I can get one or two of those done in a couple of weeks or very part time effort. When I get home I quilt and bind.

ArdraF said:
Donna and I always enjoyed Quiltique on Stephanie in Henderson NV (near Las Vegas).  They have lovely fabrics and all are arranged by color so it's a neat store just to wander through.  She bought quite a few things there.

ArdrF

Henderson is one of our planned stops when we head out west one day.  We have family in Henderson.  I'll add that to my "must see and do" list!

I usually just bring whatever I am working on at the time as I would need a semi to haul all my quilting stuff with us. I like to do some embroidery on most of my quilt/quilt squares, so they always need hand work. If I am in the quilting stage then it may stay home. My van is just too small for a full-size quilt project. depending on how far and how heavy we are packed I sometimes do hit fabric stores.

Back
Top Bottom