Reconfiguring the A-frame and propane to mount generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarmijo6

Hi everyone,
I'm changing the configuration of the A-frame area and was just wondering if anyone has any opinion on the change, Here are some details:

This is what it looked like when I bought it, battery was mounted right above the tire carrier but was removed during the solar panel upgrade.
Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 9.19.49 PM.png

This is what I am planning on doing:

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 9.22.35 PM.png
Here is a couple of pictures from the preliminary layout. Nothing is welded or attached yet:

IMG_7041.jpegIMG_7039.jpegIMG_7040.jpeg

Just a few details,
1. I realize that the generator would be adding some tongue weight since it weights 95 lbs but because I am removing the spare tire and carrier as well as having removed the battery from the frame, the weight change is almost completely offset. The new batteries sit about 8 feet further back and inside the RV.
2. this is just a mock setup and noting is welded or installed yet. I have however, ground down the brackets for the tire carrier and removed the assembly completely.
3. The generator would be sitting on a 1/4" steel plate that is welded and the propane tank mount plate would be screwed into the same crossbars that the generator plate sits on. Cross bars are made of 12ga - 3/4"X1.5" steel.
4. there will be a metal brace that I will be installing that allows the generator to be locked up for security
5. I am ordering a generator cover

Let me know what you guys think.

Thank you

Julian

Have you considered fitting a bracket that puts the generator over the propane and batteries. I've seen other travel trailers with this done, and this would save you running new battery cables.

Hi TonyL,
Thanks for the reply. Even though the Batteries are not in question because they have already been relocated with the solar upgrade and lithium ion pack, I had considered the bracket you mentioned. It's made by stromberg Carlson.
Here is a generic pic of it:
1678882150224.png
The issue was that I could not keep using the hard enclosure for the propane tanks because there would be no way to remove it since the generator would side right above them.

Hi Boat Bum, that did come to mind. However it seems that it’s not as much of a concern as I had imagined. Many of the newer inverter/generators are propane capable and run right next to the tanks. Nothing is enclosed together so, unless there is a massive leak, dissipation apparently happens too fast to cause a concern.

Have you weighed the trailer to know what it actually weighs and compared that to the design specs that came with it? Weight distribution could be a problem and impact the handling of the trailer.

I have not yet weighed it but so far all the changes have been somewhat balanced. This is a very light trailer at 5,412 lbs dry. I did weigh the added components so far (solar panels, lithium batteries, a few electrical components, and now a generator) and the total added weight so far is just over 300lbs so it has not changed much. Once it’s finished and all gear is loaded I was planning on taking to a weigh station to verify.

Great idea and looks like it's well thought out. Nice setup!
Thanks DeckArtist. It worked out pretty good after all was said and done. We took the RV on the first trip last weekend and there were no issues. Pulled like a champ, no sway, tongue weight was good and the generator and tanks did not move at all. Overall everything worked out perfect(other than not needing the generator at all over 4 days. The batteries never dropped below 85% even using the 120v for lots of functions (not the AC). The solar system seems to be keeping up with all the usage).

Very nice setup!! It looks like you covered all of the bases!! LOL
I considered doing the same but would, as you know, have to move the batteries. I ended up taking the lazyman's route and carry my genny on a front mounted hitch carrier..

Safe travels and all the best

Back
Top Bottom