Removing door for wheelchair access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenLantern33

Hi! In order to make the bunkhouse in our Venture SportTrek ST327VIK wheelchair accessible, I need to completely remove the bunkhouse door and frame. It looks like it would be relatively simple, just a single, non load-bearing panel. Has anyone done something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1813.jpeg
    IMG_1813.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1812.jpeg
    IMG_1812.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 4
Hi! In order to make the bunkhouse in our Venture SportTrek ST327VIK wheelchair accessible, I need to completely remove the bunkhouse door and frame. It looks like it would be relatively simple, just a single, non load-bearing panel. Has anyone done something like this?
To clarify, I would not just be taking the door and black trim off. I need the entire panel gone as well - the interior wall panel with the door in it, that sits on an angle between the interior wall on the left and the entertainment center wall on the right. Imagine that entire panel and door gone, making it an opening wide enough to accommodate a small wheelchair.

This is how I would go about it: Remove the door first, probably a full length piano hinge with lots of screws. Then carefully remove all the trim and start prying back the thin paneling with a large screwdriver to remove it and reveal what framing is behind it. A sawzall should make short work of the framing. Use the removed paneling and trim to finish the job neatly.

I agree with Dutch's assessment. That doesn't appear to be a load-bearing wall, so removing the entire panel shouldn't affect structural strength. If privacy is needed, a simple full-length curtain hung on a standard curtain rod should suffice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom