Seeing a lot of EV RV combos on the road this last 3 weeks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've read the lithium manganese battery due in 2024 may be a game changer. 600 mile range, survives 4000 charging cycles, lighter weight, and much quicker charging. I could live with that if true. I'm not holding my breath because there have been non-stop false predictions about better batteries. I do wonder if EVs will become like computers 20 years ago, obsolete and worthless by the time you get them home.
Who knows. Technology will continue to march on no doubt. Right now the best selling car in the world is electric. That took 12 years from when the first production EV hit the market. Last year the first electric half ton hit the market. Time will tell how it does in 10 years. Fun to watch. 😊

I'm not holding my breath because there have been non-stop false predictions about better batteries.
Agreed. There is more vaporware with EV batteries than anything else. I am now at the point I do not what to hear about the EV batteries that could be coming someday. I only want to hear about when they are actually on the market.

I expect anything that is mostly electronics to go down in value superfast. Like computers, the best time to buy one is after we have been dead for a while.

Makes no difference to me, since I do not care about trade-in values and deprecation of motor vehicles. I keep them until they are junk that can no longer serve their purpose and are not worth repairing. Still has not happened to my 1971 BMW R75/5, purchased new then. Runs better now than when new (several performance modifications).

600 mile range
To me, range is not as important on a trip as are the charge locations. I enjoy the breaks. 600 miles is a bit far to go nonstop.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Saw a few in our campground today, I'm looking now.
Have you had any extra fees for EV charging? Curious as one of the campgrounds on the island charges 25.00 a night for EV charging
Hadleys Point Campground in Bar Harbor

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-125910_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620-125910_Chrome.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 4
Curious as one of the campgrounds on the island charges 25.00 a night for EV charging
How do they know what you're using a 14-50R for? If you can plug in your motorhome, you can plug in an EV. If you're afraid you may overload their outlet, there are many ways to handle that also, such as unplug the RV or adjust the charge current inside the EV.

The EV chargers (inside the EV) can use any AC voltage from around 90 to 250 VAC and often the draw current can also be set.

But if you're NOT staying at an RV park, how they handle EV charging varies greatly. Same with motels. Some will charge a fee, some will even let you charge for free KNOWING you are not and never have been a customer.

Others will not let you do it, even if you're willing to pay, even if the charge stations or outlets are not being used.

Example is how I charged for free here and here at a motel I have NEVER stayed at. That is my electric motorcycle in both photos. Some places are just very pro-EV and they try to help out all EV owners. Often, they are themselves EV owners.

Some want you to ask permission in advance, usually where they only have one charge station such as there in Downieville, CA. Of course, their customers have first priority. But it is NOT used most of the time during the day. More likely to be used by a guest overnight.

The motel above in Portola, CA has several charge stations, no need to ask, just plug in. It's their policy, don't even need to ask. That is my electric motorcycle charging (at no cost to me) in both photos.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Hi Don. I thought you might find this interesting as you seem a techy kind of guy.

Below is a pic of a chevron town and country charging station. These guys installed about 30 of these in the last 6 months. So normally a DCFC station like this (150 kw) needs three phase power and a big BC hydro transformer. These ones just need a single phase 120 amp 240 volt breaker. What’s happening is there is a 160 kWh battery bank in then. So while they are not being used they charge up the battery bank so when a car arrives it is ready to go. It can charge up to 17 cars per day at full speed and then it drops off. Each station can charge two cars at the same time but if two cars are hooked up it divides the power between the two. Super easy install though as very little grid infrastructure is needed.

We like them because they are reasonably trailer friendly (at least for a tesla when driving straight in) and they have window washing and vacuuming facilities. They are also co-located with triple o white spot restaurants at chevron gas stations.

And right now they are all free as they are in testing phase

Anyway. Thought you might find this interesting. Here is us charging close to parksville on the island. We are camped at Rathtrevor provincial park. (No services). Some cool waterfall hikes here. Suspension bridge etc. Headed back to the mainland tomorrow via the Sunshine Coast and Powell River.

Safe travels Don.

9AFB6615-9A5E-4186-A879-0933E74630E8.jpeg

F45CAC40-0F96-4265-9D6F-33DD71E94858.jpeg

E488D78A-EF25-40D2-9D5D-0B450CD8E434.jpeg

Saw a few in our campground today, I'm looking now.
Have you had any extra fees for EV charging? Curious as one of the campgrounds on the island charges 25.00 a night for EV charging
Hadleys Point Campground in Bar Harbor
We charge routinely at serviced campgrounds and we have never been charged a fee but that may be because we only rent 30 amp sites and one really can’t have an EV and an RV plugged in at the same time.

Charging 25 dollars nightly just to be able to park in the campground is silly and more than likely that campground has been added to the “no fly” list for EV’s. And that’s fine. Operators should be able to run their campground the way they want.

The smart camp ground operators are putting in inexpensive EVSE’s in a public place and charging a flat fee for an overnight charge. Typically 15 to 20 dollars from what I have seen on the EV towing groups. One only usually needs to charge once in a 4 or 5 days stay. Usually upon arrival.

6C87F67F-691C-45BB-8669-96E8C045252C.png

Others like KOA are adding sema pay as you go EVSE’s that simply use an app. Typically 2 dollars an hour for a sema station. This is a sema connect station in a KOA. Handy as some are right on the site. We just use the RFID card as it doesn’t rely on cell connectivity.

Anyway. Thanks for that campground info. I’ll send it off to the various EV tow groups. Sounds like he is busy enough where he doesn’t need new custumers.

Cheers.

9FCF2A29-8D65-4D04-A349-0B930BC8397B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SMR
What’s happening is there is a 160 kWh battery bank
I have heard about those, but I have not yet seen one. Sounds like a great idea for places where the chargers get little use. Since the LR Tesla (like mine) has a 70 KWH battery, it better not be a busy location or be a place with many such chargers.

Is there a way to see when they have been used last, such as how many KWH is left in the "charger" 160 KWH battery? So you know you're not using one that has less KWH than you need?

-Don- Reno, NV

I have heard about those, but I have not yet seen one. Sounds like a great idea for places where the chargers get little use. Since the LR Tesla (like mine) has a 70 KWH battery, it better not be a busy location or be a place with many such chargers.

Is there a way to see when they have been used last, such as how many KWH is left in the "charger" 160 KWH battery? So you know you're not using one that has less KWH than you need?

-Don- Reno, NV
Sorry Don, I don’t know. We always seem to be on the top half of the battery when we arrive so I’m not even sure what kind of top speeds they get. But they are a good stop for us sometimes when we want a lunch stop, walk the chihuahua, clean up the car etc. They have their moments for sure. Wish the vacuum hose was a little longer so it reached the trailer. 😊

About those SemaConnect. They will soon be history, will soon be Blink.

The first Blink I ever used in CA was here. Just a few weeks ago. I am glad to see they have those out in the middle of nowhere. Both of the motorcycles shown there are mine. Before there, I have only seen Blink in AZ.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yah we got the update and new App yesterday. But good news, the SEMA RFID card will to work as per there email yesterday. You do have to change the App though.

Yah we got the update and new App yesterday. But good news, the SEMA RFID card will to work as per there email yesterday. You do have to change the App though.
I try to avoid using the apps as much as I can. I have the Blink Card. But until recently, I have only used in in AZ where they have a lot of Blinks in the Tucson area.

I have a card from every charge company that has a card available. Lots of cards. With the others, if they do not take a credit card, I need to boot up my Smartphone (normally is off) and find a place dark enough to use it and all those other hassles. But I already have all the apps on it for the charge stations.

I wish they all worked as well as Tesla Superchargers on a Tesla-just plug in and walk away. I wonder if the new Fords and Chevys will work the same way or if they have to use the "Charge your non-Tesla" on the Tesla App.

-Don- Reno, NV

I try to avoid using the apps as much as I can. I have the Blink Card. But until recently, I have only used in in AZ where they have a lot of Blinks in the Tucson area.

I have a card from every charge company that has a card available. Lots of cards. With the others, if they do not take a credit card, I need to boot up my Smartphone (normally is off) and find a place dark enough to use it and all those other hassles. But I already have all the apps on it for the charge stations.

I wish they all worked as well as Tesla Superchargers on a Tesla-just plug in and walk away. I wonder if the new Fords and Chevys will work the same way or if they have to use the "Charge your non-Tesla" on the Tesla App.

-Don- Reno, NV
Hard to say.

That chevron unit in the picture we used yesterday is only app based. Hate it. But it Works.

With FLO, ChargePoint and BC hydro it’s just an RFID card and they are all interchangeable so you can use FLO on BC hydros charger etc etc. Better…I guess.

Still prefer the No card no app approach from tesla. Pull in, plug in, go get your coffee. Done.

Still prefer the No card no app approach from tesla. Pull in, plug in, go get your coffee. Done.
Perhaps one of the reasons whey Tesla is so popular. The only button on the machine is the one on the plug that will open your charge door via wireless.

Unfortunately, Tesla Superchargers is what I use the least, but need to work with my motorcycles the most.

I have used a Tesla Supercharger three times on my Tesla since new in 2018. I have used it once with their Magic Dock in Placerville, CA on my Energica Experia. Looks like that Magic Dock idea is not getting anywhere fast. Only where not needed for now. I only went there to try it. It works, but only charged my motorcycle at 8 KW where I can charge at 24 KW around 1 km away from there. And their app was a hassle to use for the non-Tesla.

-Don- Reno, NV

I don't think you see many Ford Lightenings out in the world of camping because of the price of the P/U, plus the limited mileage they reportedly get while towing relatively light trailers which last I read was about 125-40 miles before needing to be re-charged.

I have seen a very small amount of Teslas with small teardrops or tent camping. However, last summer while in a state park outside of St. Louis, we saw a Tesla pulling a $200K Bowlus.

In my opinion, until further notice, you won't find a large influx of EVs in campgrounds simply because of the price of a decent EV, $50K +, add in the cost of a nice RV of some sort, throw in the limited mileage and charging times plus adding to that maybe having to wait in line for a charge station to become available and it doesn't add up. Most campers, especially the 40% of RV buyers who are about 40 years old don't have the extra $$$ nor the additional time to commit to EV camping of any distance beyond regional areas. Plus you have a much different view of EVs on the East Coast vs the West. A big factor here is called Winter and freezing temps that will zap a proven 25% or more battery power with our prolonged winter weather.

I don't think you see many Ford Lightenings out in the world of camping because of the price of the P/U, plus the limited mileage they reportedly get while towing relatively light trailers which last I read was about 125-40 miles before needing to be re-charged.

I have seen a very small amount of Teslas with small teardrops or tent camping. However, last summer while in a state park outside of St. Louis, we saw a Tesla pulling a $200K Bowlus.

In my opinion, until further notice, you won't find a large influx of EVs in campgrounds simply because of the price of a decent EV, $50K +, add in the cost of a nice RV of some sort, throw in the limited mileage and charging times plus adding to that maybe having to wait in line for a charge station to become available and it doesn't add up. Most campers, especially the 40% of RV buyers who are about 40 years old don't have the extra $$$ nor the additional time to commit to EV camping of any distance beyond regional areas. Plus you have a much different view of EVs on the East Coast vs the West. A big factor here is called Winter and freezing temps that will zap a proven 25% or more battery power with our prolonged winter weather.
Correct for the most part. With the exeption of the one Rivian most of the EV’s we saw towing were towing smaller trailers or teardrops. Getting pretty common here but EV’s are super common here so that corresponds.

On our second last night in Powell river there were 3 Tesla campers in a row with two pulling teardrops.

The most we saw in o e campground was in a campground in Nanaimo where there were 8 EV campers, 5 pulling small trailers.

The lightning guy we talked to towing something similar to our trailer had a comfort zone of around 300 kilometers. But bigger profile and heavier trailers bring that number down pretty fast. As well speed limits play into it a lot as well and in this part of the country speed limits tend to be lower because of the mountains etc.

Cheers and happy camping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DICKSOP
Back
Top Bottom