SF Bay Area gas prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Menlo Park area DCFC rate is even cheaper than your home rate, if you charge during late night after 2200 hrs or before 1000 hrs.

"Payment Required
29¢ / kWh off peak

58¢ / kWh on peak

On peak is 10am to 10pm as of 7/12/22Peak was 11am to 9pm."

-Don- Auburn, CA
At Tesla's average of 4 miles per kWh that "fuel" costs more than the fuel used by a 20-30 MPG gas car. Even at $5 or $7 a gallon.

At Tesla's average of 4 miles per kWh that "fuel" costs more than the fuel used by a 20-30 MPG gas car. Even at $5 or $7 a gallon.
It can be anything from free to more expensive than gasoline to charge an EV on the road. But usually averages cheaper. Tesla is 113 MPGe at a steady 65 MPH. Better when slower, worse when faster.

"The various versions of the Model 3 are rated between 113 MPGe and 141 MPGe by the EPA. Our test vehicle, however, managed only 84 MPGe when we took it on our 75-mph highway fuel-economy test."

It says here.

To be fair in above, they should have also tested it at 10 MPH less, or 55 MPH. It would then be MUCH better than that 113 MPGe.

But normally even cheaper when charged at home, than on the road. And that is by far most EV charging.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Do you know where that pipeline is ran? I assumed the gasoline was trucked in from CA.

BTW, diesel is now much cheaper than gasoline in Reno. I don't know about other places.

I have not checked the prices here in Auburn. I usually have no need to check on gasoline prices while here.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Washoe County has a special gas tax that makes the price higher than the rest of the state. Gas is cheaper in Carson City and Minden than in Reno.

Gas is cheaper in Carson City and Minden than in Reno.
Yes, cheaper even in Sun Valley, which is NOT Reno, but even closer than is Sparks to my Reno home. One thing nice about Reno is that gasoline is cheaper everywhere else. Except for west and north--into the CA Mountains.

Not much of an issue to me. I normally ride or drive EVs between my Reno and Auburn home.

And if I want to take a break on the way, I can get a free charge at a couple of places in Truckee (At and the Truckee Airport as well as the Truckee townhall) as well as in Colfax (train station). But most of my EVs can make the entire trip on a single charge. In the case of my Tesla, a round trip with juice left over. So I normally only stop when I feel like taking a short break and get what is called a free "opportunity charge".

They used to have a free to use DCFC at the Donner Summit Rest Area. But some EV haters cut both the cables last year ago and it was never repaired:

1714259369296.png

-Don- Auburn, CA

That's pretty good but Sam's in not Top Tier. I focused my search on that.
True story, back in the 80's I was pilot w/ a tankerman's ticket on a dedicated 1100' tow transporting gas from Houston to Corpus Christi and Port Aransas. It was common practice if the facility was low on premium unleaded to transfer 20,000 barrels of regular unleaded to those tanks.
I suspect the difference in top tier gas and ordinary gas is the price and urban mythology. No different from the summer and winter blend ruse. In about 6 months we'll be hearing the price of a gallon of gas is up because of the switch to the more expensive winter blend, just as we're hearing gas recently went up due to the switch to the more expensive summer blends.

Charge your EV for free at Furnace Creek! (right across the street from Sunset).

Ten charge stations, all free to use (charging my bike there at 6.5 KW as I have lunch in my RV in Sunset):.
View attachment 172593

-Don- Auburn, CA
I learned a long time ago that nothing is free. Someone or everyone is paying for your charge.

Someone or everyone is paying for your charge.
Sure, but still free to me. I guess I should thank the taxpayers in Truckee, CA and the Truckee, CA airport for my free charges there.

And the train station in Colfax.

But I wish Cal-Trans would fix their fast chargers. I do pay enough road taxes to CA, where I really get the shaft with EVs. Unlike ICE, where you pay as you use the roads in gas tax, I pay for the road tax in advance on several EVs that just sit. I cannot drive seven EVs at the same time, so I could be paying road tax seven times an ICE car where they go by gallons used, which is a much fairer system.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
True story, back in the 80's I was pilot w/ a tankerman's ticket on a dedicated 1100' tow transporting gas from Houston to Corpus Christi and Port Aransas. It was common practice if the facility was low on premium unleaded to transfer 20,000 barrels of regular unleaded to those tanks.
I suspect the difference in top tier gas and ordinary gas is the price and urban mythology. No different from the summer and winter blend ruse. In about 6 months we'll be hearing the price of a gallon of gas is up because of the switch to the more expensive winter blend, just as we're hearing gas recently went up due to the switch to the more expensive summer blends.
Top Tier gas is different in that there added detergents and other additives to keep an engine clean.
I just bought a new car last year in intend to only run Top Tier brands through it. It does make a difference. It really won't make a difference in any engine with 10k+ miles already on it.

Sure, but still free to me. I guess I should thank the taxpayers in Truckee, CA and the Truckee, CA airport for my free charges there.

And the train station in Colfax.

But I wish Cal-Trans would fix their fast chargers. I do pay enough road taxes to CA, where I really get the shaft with EVs. Unlike ICE, where you pay as you use the roads in gas tax, I pay for the road tax in advance on several EVs that just sit. I cannot drive seven EVs at the same time, so I could be paying road tax seven times an ICE car where they go buy gallons used, which is a much fairer system.

-Don- Auburn, CA
No different from the 400 lb'er drawing SSI disability because their a** is so big they can't work, it's free to them. Only difference being they don't gloat about it so much.

Top Tier gas is different in that there added detergents and other additives to keep an engine clean.
I just bought a new car last year in intend to only run Top Tier brands through it. It does make a difference. It really won't make a difference in any engine with 10k+ miles already on it.
All gasoline has to meet minimum detergent and additive levels specified by the government. Top Tier brands have been certified as exceeding those minimums.

Different gasoline brands may draw their base stock from the same pipeline or refinery but add their own additive packages when the gas is put into the tank truck for delivery to the gas station.

Saying it doesn't make it true, no taxpayer is subsidizing my gas, none.
See here.

"There is a long history of government intervention in energy markets. Numerous energy subsidies exist in the U.S. tax code to promote or subsidize the production of cheap and abundant fossil energy."

-Don- Auburn, CA

See here.

"There is a long history of government intervention in energy markets. Numerous energy subsidies exist in the U.S. tax code to promote or subsidize the production of cheap and abundant fossil energy."

-Don- Auburn, CA
Name a corporation in America producing anything that isn't the recipient of tax breaks and loopholes? The plain truth is however your free to you electricity is being directly paid for by someone. No producer of electricity gives it away, someone is paying for it. So it's free to you, not free. No one is getting free to them gas. Meantime, who cares, it's your intentional irritating gloating about it that rubs people up. Otherwise, it doesn't appear free charging is doing the EV market much good, Tesla is tanking and other carmakers are scaling back. I don't care if you saw them bumper to bumper in California, the market is saturated and the EV industries 15 minutes is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom