Skylight and sealant recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaubsNU1

The old 2010 Heartland Sundance has a skylight that is cracked and leaking a little. I patched it up last year.

Crawled up on roof tonight...and noticed probably need to scrape off the old sealant and get some new down.

Recommendations on a replacement skylight 26"x18", and self leveling sealant? Or go with Eternabond Tape?

Pictures for reference. Thanks!

Attachments

• Roof 5.jpg
    Roof 5.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Roof 2.jpg
    Roof 2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Sealant.jpg
    Sealant.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 5
This may be the skylight you need.

I would not used Eternabond tape though. It is almost impossible to remove if you ever need to.
I don't know the quality of the Camco sealant, but you can get Dicor or Alpha Systems sealants. Clean as much of the old sealant off the roof. Carefully use a plastic putty knife to remove the skylight and as much of the old sealant as you can. Be careful not to damage the roof material. SLOW AND EASY!!
Use mineral spirits sparingly to clean the surface. The put a bead of non-sag sealant around the area where the new skylight sits making sure to cover the old screw holes. Put NEW screws back in and press the edges of the skylight into the sealant. Put self leveling sealant over the screws and around the edges of the skylight.

When a stick went through mine, I ordered as above. Get on roof, peel back old caulking, pulling off much, but if it was solid to roof, I pulled no more. Installed new one, put self leveling caulk around everything. A month later, went on top to touch up some dried and sunken valleys in the caulk. Very simply project.

I replaced my cracked skylight this year. Winnebago no longer had these so I ordered one with the same dimensions online from EZ Tops World Wide. Old one was removed and and all traces of old sealant cleaned off, first scraped with a dull putty knife then followed up by scotchbrite and paint thinner, wiping with clean paper towel. The mounting surface looked "new" so a good foothold for new sealant. The skylight supplier specified Surebond 140 sealant. I drilled holes along the skylight flange for #10x3/4" screws, and I used new stainless ones. I dry fitted the skylight by attaching at the four corners then drilled pilot holes into the roof at each flange hole. Using the drilled holes as a line, I applied a bead of sealant around the whole thing and set the skylight in place. Started each screw, then incrementally tightened them around until sealant started squeezing out from under the flange. From there I put another bead of sealant around the edge, and sealed the heads of all the screws. Probably took 2 hours start to finish. Just for giggles I wanted to see how easily the old skylight would crack so I flexed it and it shattered into a dozen pieces. So pretty much any impact from a branch or maybe even hail would've done it in, it had no integrity left. Contrasted to a new lexan skylight which can probably take a hit from a baseball bat and bounce back. So skip the eternabond and self leveling sealer, go with what the skylight supplier recommends and not have to re-seal every year or wonder about it. I have no doubts that my skylight install will outlast the RV now.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom