Spring Concerns - 16,800 GVW with upgraded 8,000 lbs axles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigTB

Hi Everyone!
Just wondering if these springs are as designed? - 2022 373FB Solitude with 1,000 miles of highway use.
Any suggestions or thoughts? Tks

Attachments

• 68F25638-3781-487D-97AB-7483FE087F36.jpeg
    68F25638-3781-487D-97AB-7483FE087F36.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 167839CD-B716-4275-ABFA-09BCFE9D5E79.jpeg
    167839CD-B716-4275-ABFA-09BCFE9D5E79.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 10
Federal safety standard for fifth wheel trailers require the axles to support at least 80% of the GVWR. 7000 lb axles would have been sufficient if that 16,800 was the target, but maybe 8000 lbs was what they had available when that frame was built. Or maybe they just wanted to keep the number of different parts to a minimum.

Have you checked the federal weight label on the trailer? It should be readily visible on the front left exterior. It will show the OEM axle GAWRs.

The brochure specs don't show GAWRs but the numbers suggest the standard axle was 7000 lbs, so maybe yours was ordered with an upgrade. Or, as I said earlier, maybe 8000 lb axles was what they had on hand the day that trailer frame was built. It happens...

Federal safety standard for fifth wheel trailers require the axles to support at least 80% of the GVWR. 7000 lb axles would have been sufficient if that 16,800 was the target, but maybe 8000 lbs was what they had available when that frame was built. Or maybe they just wanted to keep the number of different parts to a minimum.

Have you checked the federal weight label on the trailer? It should be readily visible on the front left exterior. It will show the OEM axle GAWRs.

The brochure specs don't show GAWRs but the numbers suggest the standard axle was 7000 lbs, so maybe yours was ordered with an upgrade. Or, as I said earlier, maybe 8000 lb axles was what they had on hand the day that trailer frame was built. It happens...
Hi Gary,

I did order the 8,000 lb upgraded axles with disc brakes and have weighed the unit - all is fine. My concern is with the visual shape of the spring. I am more used to springs that smile to me! These have a significant flat spot/downward droop over the axle - they look like they are years old - not 2 years with low mileage. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Tks!

Who is the manufacturer of the axle/springs?
Since it's a 2022 I would contact them.
I agree with you that they dont look correct and should be smiling, something I was told when I replaced mine.

Been there done that; installed too heavy springs. It made the 5er coach ride like it was on solid axles and shook things apart inside.

The problem with trailer springs is their narrow size, 1-3/4 inc if I recall. Even in lower capacity, I feel they should be wider.

The other problem is most of these springs are made in China, of blended scrap metal formed into bulk spring material. There are a few places in the US that custom make springs, hopefully using US materials.

While everyone loves Dexter, fact is, they make axles here, but brakes, drums and hubs, bearings, springs, etc are all made in China. In all fairness, China does buy lots of iron ore from Australia, but I am highly suspicious that leaf springs warrant the cheapest stuff they can muster.

The springs in your pics have lost their "spring" and are flattening out.

Charles

^^^^ What he said + They have definitely lost their "arch", you can have them re-arched but you need to be specific in selecting a shop with a heating process, cold re-arching won't last. Additionally you could consider having a leaf or two added.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurttj05
Back
Top Bottom