Sterilizing the water pipes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

I need to sterilize my water pipes but my rig is in storage and there's no way to get it to my house to rinse out the system once the bleach has done it's thing. I will be pulling it from Kentucky to Michigan shortly and was thinking about filling the system the day before then flushing it out once I get set up. The bleach water may sit in the pipes for 2-3 days. Has anyone ever let the solution sit in the pipes that long? Did it leave a bleach taste or smell? Did it take a ridiculous amount of time and water to flush it out? Should I use vinegar instead? If so what is the ratio for vinegar to water?

Thanks

I don't see a problem leaving it in for a few days with a good through rinse/flush. I use 1/4 cup vinigar per 15 gallons water and have never had an issue with smell or taste after a rinse.

Vinegar does not sterilize anything. It reduces bacterial/virus load because it is slightly acidic, but it does not sterilize. I personally would not leave bleach in the pipes for days, just worried about rubber seals. Put the bleach in, let it sit for your first day’s drive, then rinse it out.

I think if you make it a mild solution of about 1/4 cup of bleach per 10 gallons of water you should be fine to leave it for a while.

I think if you make it a mild solution of about 1/4 cup of bleach per 10 gallons of water you should be fine to leave it for a while.
I agree and in fact at that level it needs to be left for at least 4 hours according to the USDA. Leaving it longer might require a bit more flushing to remove all taste but that won't be harmful to drink.

To remove the bleach odor and taste, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and pour into the freshwater tank. Fill the tank completely and pump this solution through the water heater and the rest of the water lines. Allow it to stand at least two hours, then flush again with clean water.

I personally would not leave bleach in the pipes for days, just worried about rubber seals.
I don't think there are any rubber seals (besides the toilet) in an RV. The gate valves have seals, but they are most likely made of Santoprene which isn't affected by bleach.

My rig has a bypass for using the water pump to winterize the unit. I'm planning on using that system and not filling my frest water tank right now. Just going to sterilize the pipes. Unit's been sitting for 5 months. Will fill the pipes tomorrow then start flush Monday afternoon when I get to the Detroit area.

I don't think there are any rubber seals (besides the toilet) in an RV. The gate valves have seals, but they are most likely made of Santoprene which isn't affected by bleach.
How about all the cone shaped foam seals at just about every mechanical pipe joint and seals in a faucet

How about all the cone shaped foam seals at just about every mechanical pipe joint and seals in a faucet
I would need to see a picture of what you are referring to. I've done a bunch of home plumbing and I can't think of any seals that are made of foam. Rubber gaskets and O-rings, but not foam.

Will fill the pipes tomorrow then start flush Monday afternoon when I get to the Detroit area.
That should work just fine but I suggest that you mix up a few gallons to put into the fresh water tank as well just to take care of it. If it has been empty all winter it probably did have a little bit of water that doesn't drain out as most tank drains will leave about 1" of water. Doing that will make sure that there isn't any algae in the tank and the water slopping as you travel will pretty much take care of the entire tank.
I have been sanitizing our RVs in this way for about 30 years now and I have left the treated water in the system for as long as a week with no problems.

Just make sure you have flushed everything out before you add any baking soda to your tank and run it through the pipes. And that will need to be flushed out also.

I agree that you need to add bleach to the fresh water tank, as well as the pipes to make sure you kill anything in it. Then you might want to replace your whole house water filter if you have one.

I would need to see a picture of what you are referring to. I've done a bunch of home plumbing and I can't think of any seals that are made of foam. Rubber gaskets and O-rings, but not foam.
Maybe I used the wrong word. Most mechanical joints in a rv is sealed with a cone shaped gasket which may be made out of either a very dense foam or rubber

Most mechanical joints in a rv is sealed with a cone shaped gasket which may be made out of either a very dense foam or rubber
But I think the plumbing joints in an RV are typically PEX, ABS, or polyethylene – all of which are bleach tolerant.

But I think the plumbing joints in an RV are typically PEX, ABS, or polyethylene – all of which are bleach tolerant.
Agree but I’m talking about the mechanical joints where there is a cone shaped gasket involved

Ok so at this point I've pushed a solution of 1/4 cup to 10 gallon bleach water solution into the pipes. I purposely didn't do the water tank because I don't use it. I can sanitize it when I get to where I'm going. It has sat overnight so far and if I have time I'll haul more water over to flush the system out or at least get a start on it. The rig is in a storage lot with no water access and I can't get it down my road right now so hauling water is the only way to do this

No worries. At the concentration of chlorine used for sanitizing a water system, there will be no danger of harming anything.
Agree but I’m talking about the mechanical joints where there is a cone shaped gasket involved
I think you are talking about the cone washer in a compression fitting, and possibly the flat washer used to connect a shower head or hose or similar. The cone washers are typically a soft plastic of some type and the washers are typically some variant of neoprene. Neither are particularly susceptible to chlorine, since they are designed to be normally exposed to it 24/7/365 anyway.

Have you noticed that household bleach is sold in plastic bottles? And that's 10x the concentration used for sanitizing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom