Tesla Semi Ready To Replace Diesel Trucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What i would like to see as an interim solution until battery technology is 10x better, is a hybrid gas engine truck with electric motor to assist acceleration and to put energy back into the batteries when braking or as a downhill assist. there is a lot of wasted energy braking, it could be harvested. this of course on a 3/4 ton truck, not the rather impractical battery trucks.

GM sold a hybrid Silverado from 2009 to 2013. They had a 6.0 V8 along with two electric motors to assist the transmission, and regenerative braking. They also made a version of it for the Tahoe.

Few people bought them.

There have been rumors GM may consider a hybrid full-size again.

What i would like to see as an interim solution until battery technology is 10x better, is a hybrid gas engine truck with electric motor to assist acceleration and to put energy back into the batteries when braking or as a downhill assist. there is a lot of wasted energy braking, it could be harvested. this of course on a 3/4 ton truck, not the rather impractical battery trucks.
Reminds me of this. That is new.

But here is your Class A Hybrid back in early 2019. Now they should be able to improve on it by quite a bit already.

Pricetag: a little more than $502,000.00. But what's a half million bucks these days?

-Don- Reno, NV

I'm betting on solar panels as the bodywork for electric cars.
Maybe, but for the added two miles of range per day, they can keep them. Unless I am two miles away from the next charge station when I run out of juice . . . .but that is rather unlikely these days.

-Don- Reno, NV

Maybe, but for the added two miles of range per day, they can keep them. Unless I am two miles away from the next charge station when I run out of juice . . . .but that is rather unlikely these days.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yes, the conversion efficiency of the photovoltaic cell will have to increase significantly to make this concept viable. I'm just throwing it out there so when it comes to fruition I've got a claim on residuals. (y)

EPA says more stringent rules. EV car builder supports and says yea way to go Uncle Sam. We can do it better than ICE.
This is straight up BS.
I’m back home on a long heavy haul. Electric can’t do it PERIOD. I’ll be in and out of cell service for for next 5-10 days and now we want electric plugs/chargers every 100 miles. And if the answer is to put chargers every 100 miles or so. They and the infrastructure all need to be emplaced with electric equipment. Or it’s all for nothing.

Reminds me of this. That is new.

But here is your Class A Hybrid back in early 2019. Now they should be able to improve on it by quite a bit already.

Pricetag: a little more than $502,000.00. But what's a half million bucks these days?

-Don- Reno, NV

fine IF one desires a class A..

I'm more interested in a 2500 or F250 size truck with electric assist.
good for acceleration and braking or assising on steep hills where heavy fuel consumption occurs.
i have money.. just can't spend it on what i need.. ( or want ? )..lol

More on the potential for a new Silverado/Sierra PHEV. Remains to be seen if these will also come in 2500/3500 versions.

Also, Express and Savana vans might finally be getting an update after 30 years...

EPA says more stringent rules. EV car builder supports and says yea way to go Uncle Sam. We can do it better than ICE.
This is straight up BS.
I’m back home on a long heavy haul. Electric can’t do it PERIOD. I’ll be in and out of cell service for for next 5-10 days and now we want electric plugs/chargers every 100 miles. And if the answer is to put chargers every 100 miles or so. They and the infrastructure all need to be emplaced with electric equipment. Or it’s all for nothing.
Meh. It is a good fit for some. Not for others. Depends on lots of things. Trailer size, tow vehicle type, infrastructure in the region etc. For those that don’t like them or want them they can continue to drive gas or diesel. Especially the heavy tow crowd. Bottom line is one shouldn’t paint with two wife of a paint brush. We are all different and all have different preferences.

In the US with most of the ICV stop sale proposals, pickups over 6k lbs are exempt and that typically covers most (all?) 2500 and 3500 gas/diesel pickups. In the same way, they're generally not required to have EPA fuel mileage ratings.

In the US with most of the ICV stop sale proposals, pickups over 6k lbs are exempt and that typically covers most (all?) 2500 and 3500 gas/diesel pickups. In the same way, they're generally not required to have EPA fuel mileage ratings.
For now. I assume someday all that will change as the technology caches up so it works for all.

But even then, just before it happens, many will be complaining and BSing.

Nothing new, with any change, but especially mandated by governments.

But after a few years, people stop complaining and just get used to the idea. Just like I said about same-sex marriage a few years back. :)

-Don- Reno, NV

For now. I assume someday all that will change as the technology caches up so it works for all.

But even then, just before it happens, many will be complaining and BSing.

Nothing new, with any change, but especially mandated by governments.

But after a few years, people stop complaining and just get used to the idea. Just like I said about same-sex marriage a few years back. :)

-Don- Reno, NV

Have faith that everything EV will continue be litigated until even the young generation is old and has gray hair. Just like same-sex marriage, that fight is far from over and there are very active efforts to unwind it.

Have faith that everything EV will continue be litigated until even the young generation is old and has gray hair.
I have no doubt some people will find they love EVs, including the larger trucks, who used to hate the entire idea.

But for those who have a decent job related to ICE vehicles, looks like many could have to learn something new.

BTW, I just got done replacing the window switch in my Tesla. It was a big hassle! I also replaced the cabin air filter. Now I am all done doing anything to it for a few more years or so, hopefully.

-Don- Reno, NV

Another thing many do not know is there are some amazing rapid chargers. Now these tend to be vehicle specific (I've seen one.. .Just one) CAT (Clemson Area Transit) In .. of all places. Clemson, SC has some electric busses. they run between Clemson and Seneca (Where i used to hang out 1/3 of my winters) and there's a rapid charge station at the hospital.. The driver does not even have time for a coffee break and the bus is full up ready to roll.

Another thing many do not know is there are some amazing rapid chargers. Now these tend to be vehicle specific (I've seen one.. .Just one) CAT (Clemson Area Transit) In .. of all places. Clemson, SC has some electric busses. they run between Clemson and Seneca (Where i used to hang out 1/3 of my winters) and there's a rapid charge station at the hospital.. The driver does not even have time for a coffee break and the bus is full up ready to roll.
Between Clemson & Seneca is only 8 miles.

The largest truck EV chargers are now at around a million watts.

-Don- Reno, NV

Electric buses have been around for over 70 years - full-size buses receiving their power from overhead power lines.
Yes I know about those.. But the CAT busses do not use that method. they are true go anywhere EVs battery operated. Also the fare on them $0.00 Yup the Government did some math and found that if more people ride the bus there are fewer wrinkled fenders and they need to spend less on police, and cleanup after the crash and so on. So they made the bus fare $0.00.

Back
Top Bottom