The city with the happiest people in the USA is:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What was it that you didn't like about FL?

-Don- Reno, NV
Florida was a great place to grow up. Barefoot and shirtless all summer running through the woods fishing and hunting squirrels. Riding bicycles to the beach. Sneaking into the races at Daytona International Racetrack. We left in 75 when I joined the AF. Visited off and on until retirement. Went back to go to college. We have family there but both of us are estranged from them. We have some friends left in Florida. But if I told you the salient reason this topic would probably get locked.

Perfectly happy living here in Santa Rosa, Ca. Some of the best beer and wine in the world produced here. 20min drive to Bodega Bay and some wonderful camp sites for the RV. 3hrs from the Giant Redwoods in Humboldt Co., 4hrs from Lake Tahoe.

That said- looking forward to exploring more of the Southwest an Northwest in our RV!

We've also traveled internationally extensively. If we were to choose another country to live in we really liked Panama and my wife is Filipina and we really like PI as well.

Heading to Fiji, Vanuatu and Australia next month. I'm SURE we will like Fiji and it's only a 10hr direct flight.

So many places to go, so little time!

I was happy in Cambridge England and Misawa Japan. Not so much in Las Vegas or Mt Home ID. Enjoyed King Salmon AK but it sucked my family couldn’t be with me. We lived in San Antonio for 6 years. It was okay but a pain in the arse to get from point A to point B. Didn’t care for Witchita Falls, TX. Born and raised in Florida and was stationed there at Eglin AFB in the early 80’s. Lived in Gainesville from 1999-2002 while going to college. Not going back to Florida. We live in Dover DE now. It’s alright. No sales tax. Close to Philadelphia, DC and NYC. I’m not so sure it’s the place that makes you happy. I know folks that were stationed in Hawaii that grew to hate it there.
I did a 1-year tour there in the Navy - hated every second of it. I'm not the tourist type, I can't lay on the beach all day and broil in my own juices, I don't surf or dive, and the monotony of driving anywhere just to be back at the ocean again was, well, monotonous.

I'm an avid fisherman, but no one was interested enough to want to charter a boat with me and go. I ran Harbor Patrol there and worked 1800 - 0600, so I went and bought some fishing gear and fished off the patrol boat in the middle of the night when there was nothing going on. I caught a few - including one small hammerhead shark.

One long, boring year.

Perfectly happy living here in Santa Rosa, Ca. Some of the best beer and wine in the world produced here. 20min drive to Bodega Bay and some wonderful camp sites for the RV. 3hrs from the Giant Redwoods in Humboldt Co., 4hrs from Lake Tahoe.

That said- looking forward to exploring more of the Southwest an Northwest in our RV!

We've also traveled internationally extensively. If we were to choose another country to live in we really liked Panama and my wife is Filipina and we really like PI as well.

Heading to Fiji, Vanuatu and Australia next month. I'm SURE we will like Fiji and it's only a 10hr direct flight.

So many places to go, so little time!
We lived in Napa until we retired in 2013. In the 14 years I was there I never set foot in a winery. Don't like wine so I never saw the point. Besides, the wineries don't give free tastings anymore. It's like $4 - but, you can keep the glass. :rolleyes:

We have some friends left in Florida. But if I told you the salient reason this topic would probably get locked.
I probably have a few of such reasons why I shouldn't like FL as well. But I just ignore all the political BS there, if that's what you mean. So I can still enjoy Florida by ignoring all their political nonsense.

-Don- Reno, NV

I love living in central Florida. We have the best weather year round of any place else in the USA. I pay no attention to the politics here. Doesn't affect me at all.

. We have the best weather year round of any place else in the USA.
That depends on who is asked. Some will say it's too hot and muggy.

BTW, when I was in the Everglades in December, the weather there reminded me of the weather in the Central Highland jungles of Vietnam. The number mosquitoes as well.

Made me wonder what the summer would be like there.

But it was very comfy where you're at and no mosquitoes. At least in the winter, I don't know what your summers are like there.

-Don- Reno, NV

That depends on who is asked. Some will say it's too hot and muggy.

BTW, when I was in the Everglades in December, the weather there reminded me of the weather in the Central Highland jungles of Vietnam. The number mosquitoes as well.

Made me wonder what the summer would be like there.

But it was very comfy where you're at and no mosquitoes. At least in the winter, I don't know what your summers are like there.

-Don- Reno, NV
I am not asking anyone else, it is merely my opinion. I have not been bitten by a mosquito in 8 years, and I have a large pond in my back yard. I love the summers here. The humidity does not bother me in the lease. The weather is fine until about noon, then it gets hot. So I do all my running around in the morning and the weather really has no effect on me.

Nope, won't let you do that. If they did, folks would just bring their own bottle and say, "Fill'er up!"
We were in Italy visiting our son out driving around town and our son stopped at a hardware store. He came out with several bottles with stoppers. His next stop was a bar. He came out with the bottles filled with red and white wine. He said it cost just a couple euro each.
I am not asking anyone else, it is merely my opinion. I have not been bitten by a mosquito in 8 years, and I have a large pond in my back yard. I love the summers here. The humidity does not bother me in the lease. The weather is fine until about noon, then it gets hot. So I do all my running around in the morning and the weather really has no effect on me.
i grew up in Florida. The heat, humidity, venomous snakes and spiders didn’t bother me. I didn’t know any different. There are states I don’t want anything to do with; won’t even drive through them if I can avoid it and I can avoid Florida.

I have been in the Napa-Sonoma wine county countless times. Likewise, I have never been in a winery.

-Don- Reno, NV
When we were living in SF we always had friends that would visit us and want to go to wine country. I would always take them to the champagneries for a change of pace. Hans Kornell was my favorite but it is long gone.

Nope, won't let you do that. If they did, folks would just bring their own bottle and say, "Fill'er up!"
One particular brewery in SE Alaska we went to would not fill our growler, you had to buy theirs. Told the guy I don't need growlers, I just need beer. Also told him if I was selling beer I'd fill anything the customer wanted- a boot, their pocket, whatever. Then we walked out.

One particular brewery in SE Alaska we went to would not fill our growler, you had to buy theirs. Told the guy I don't need growlers, I just need beer. Also told him if I was selling beer I'd fill anything the customer wanted- a boot, their pocket, whatever. Then we walked out.
They would sell a heck of a lot more beer if they let folks bring any container they wanted.

We lived in Napa until we retired in 2013. In the 14 years I was there I never set foot in a winery. Don't like wine so I never saw the point. Besides, the wineries don't give free tastings anymore. It's like $4 - but, you can keep the glass. :rolleyes:
Great- not a big wine drinker myself. Doesn't change the fact the region produces some of the best wine in the world. :rolleyes:

Great- not a big wine drinker myself. Doesn't change the fact the region produces some of the best wine in the world. :rolleyes:
I'll have to take your word for that.

About 20 years ago, during the time I was in Napa, I saw an interview on TV with a wine expert. He said, "Unless you are going to pay $100 for a bottle of wine, don't waste your money trying to find a good 'middle-of-the-road' wine. If you think that a $20 bottle will be better than a $5 bottle, it is not."

I'll have to take your word for that.

About 20 years ago, during the time I was in Napa, I saw an interview on TV with a wine expert. He said, "Unless you are going to pay $100 for a bottle of wine, don't waste your money trying to find a good 'middle-of-the-road' wine. If you think that a $20 bottle will be better than a $5 bottle, it is not."
All I know about wine is that red wine goes best with steak. :)

-Don- Auburn, CA

Back
Top Bottom