Tow vehicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milon

I am presently using a 2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax with several upgrades (tires, airbags, chip) to pull a 37' toy hauler. Is it ideal? No, but I cannot find a 3500 right now. Have one ordered but it is 12 to 14 weeks out. I have pulled about 5,000 miles with this setup with no problems, including a 2,000 mile round trip from NM to West Yellowstone over some pretty gnarly roads and mountain passes as well as considerable interstate. I do not get in a hurry (55 to 70 mph depending on conditions), I pay attention to my surroundings and road conditions, and have not encountered any white knuckle events. Prior to this I pulled a 1996 Holiday Rambler 32' 5th wheel all over the country with the same truck. I would guess that your 250 would be a better pick than what I have since you have a more modern truck and a lighter trailer. But, I am guessing you are going to be overloaded a bit. I watched a video recently where a 2020 Chev 2500 Duramax was tested on the Ike Gauntlet pulling 16,000#. Also watched one where a 2021 2500 was pulling off the bumper at 11,400# on the Gauntlet towing brownsville tx. I am not saying any of this is right or advisable, just telling you what is happening in the real world.
am going through a MAJOR life change I am wanting to tow a T@B 2014 teardrop trailer. As I have no tow bar and any needed extras advice would be greatly appreciated. The tow vehicle would be my 2001 4dr TDI Golf that I have replaced all major engine and maintenance parts. Thanks in advance!

am going through a MAJOR life change I am wanting to tow a T@B 2014 teardrop trailer. As I have no tow bar and any needed extras advice would be greatly appreciated. The tow vehicle would be my 2001 4dr TDI Golf that I have replaced all major engine and maintenance parts. Thanks in advance!

I owned a TDI back then, it had he ALH engine in it , best year for that engine.. that's a strong little car, motor is superb up to about 300,000 miles then the valve/camshaft assembly becomes suspect.
it should pull the teardrop just fine. be sure to replace your CV driveshafts with a couple of good quality units before you do and you will be good to go.
I upgraded my injectors with Bosio units and also a stronger clutch. got better mpg and a few more HP..

I looked for a tow rating for the 2001 Golf TDI but the spec sheets say "Not Available". That could mean VW doesn't provide one or simply that the data wasn't filled in. In any case, it will be very limited on that type of vehicle, for several reasons, e.g. Front Drive (transaxle), small engine, and light duty suspension. You didn't mention which GDI engine and option package you have either.

Granted a T@B isn't heavy or have a lot of tongue weight, but the smallest T@B is still 1500 lbs empty. Even lightly loaded it is going to exceed 2000 lbs and In my opinion that will be beyond what your TDI can handle.

Last edited:
When you say you don't have a "tow bar", what are you referring to? A 'tow bar' is used to tow a motor vehicle behind, say, a motorhome. A 'trailer hitch' is used for towing a travel trailer. If it doesn't have a hitch there is probably a reason for that. Everything I can find online says it can tow between 2000# and 2500#. I would not, however, be towing anything with a vehicle that small. The first time you need to hit the brakes it's going to push you right into the intersection, or you'll mow down the little kid in the crosswalk.

I looked for a tow rating for the 2001 Golf TDI but the spec sheets say "Not Available". That could mean VW doesn't provide one or simply that the data wasn't filled in. In any case, it will be very limited on that type of vehicle, for several reasons, e.g. Front Drive (transaxle), small engine, and light duty suspension. You didn't mention which GDI engine and option package you have either.

Granted a T@B isn't heavy or have a lot of tongue weight, but the smallest T@B is still 1500 lbs empty. Even lightly loaded it is going to exceed 2000 lbs and In my opinion that will be beyond what your TDI can handle.
It's a 2L turbo diesel, european spec is 300 lbs tongue, 2000 lbs trailer
US version is derated purely by injectors and HP.. fit the european Bosio injectors and an uprated clutch for the 30HP increase and it will perform quite well.

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" excluding VR6 and AWD

200 lb tongue wt/2000 lb trailer wt.

T@B By Little Guy Note​

TRAVEL TRAILERS/5TH WHEELS - For T@B models after model year 2017, please see T@B by nuCamp.
(Model years 2017 - 2012)

Travel Trailers​

Length​

Width​

Coach
Design​

Axle(s)​

Weight
(lbs)​

Self
Cont.​

Slides​

Basic ULQ Floor Plan15'6'Travel Trailers11490Yes
Max ULQ Floor Plan15'6'Travel Trailers11670Yes
Quickstart ULQ Floor Plan15'6'Travel Trailers11600Yes

CS Series​

Basic15'6'Travel Trailers11490Yes
Max Plus15'6'Travel Trailers11670Yes
Quickstart Plus15'6'Travel Trailers11600Yes

CS-S Wet Bath Series​

S Wet Bath Series​

Full set Air struts" have every thing you need, including air bags and shocks. The "front & rear airbags kit only" is just airbags without shocks for customers who already have coilovers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom