Traveling South. Moncton to Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billyboy

Hello People. I am traveling from Moncton to Florida next week with my toy hauler travel trailer.. This will be my first trip south towing a trailer. The trailer is 14 ft high.. just wondering what the best route would be. I have heard us the I95 but stay away from the big Cities. Any suggestions would be great..thanks

I 95 is the only practical route to FL from Maine IMO. It will be very very congested Southbound with snowbirds going to FL and travelers heading home from Christmas with family. The big cities have a bypass around the West side, some are toll roads, but make avoiding the city traffic easier. Do not turn onto a turnpike or boulevard in cities, they can have low bridges or other restrictions.
Just take your time and avoid the outer-most lane of traffic near/in cities if possible, there you must contend with the lane ending, entering traffic, exiting traffic.

If you buy a Motor Carriers Road Atlas all the routes approved for large over-sized vehicles is marked in yellow/orange. Inside the front are pages for each state listing all restrictions for over-size vehicles.

The Garmin RV series of GPS navigation systems have you input your vehice height, length, and weight. It will then route you accordingly.

Tappen Zee Bridge to I-81s, to I-77s, to I-26s, to I-95s to Florida. From there either I-95 if destination is on east side of Florida, or to I-75 if destination is on the west side of Florida. Give yourself at least 4 days and plan your stops. there are RV parks to be had near I-81/77 interchange, and I-26/95 interchange. This route comes as close as you dare to NYC, avoids all other major cities except for Charlotte NC and Jacksonville FL.

***Disclaimer. Watch the weather and stay clear of the mountains (I-81 and I-77) if the weather is going to be bad, or wait a few days, or stick to the coast and I-95.

Tappen Zee Bridge to I-81s, to I-77s, to I-26s, to I-95s to Florida. From there either I-95 if destination is on east side of Florida, or to I-75 if destination is on the west side of Florida. Give yourself at least 4 days and plan your stops. there are RV parks to be had near I-81/77 interchange, and I-26/95 interchange. This route comes as close as you dare to NYC, avoids all other major cities except for Charlotte NC and Jacksonville FL.

***Disclaimer. Watch the weather and stay clear of the mountains (I-81 and I-77) if the weather is going to be bad, or wait a few days, or stick to the coast and I-95.
Yeah, what he said.
I-81 spends a lot of time in Hill Country. It's well maintained, and if the weather holds you can make good time and miss a lot of city traffic.
But keep an eye on the weather, and don't take chances with it.

(Though, If the weather turns bad, I think I'd rather be out in the country a bit than trying to get through all that city traffic. )

Also, when you get to South Carolina, you might want to look at US-301 down to Florida. I prefer that to I-95. I am not certain about the clearances, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Traveling Senior
Back
Top Bottom