Trying to keep my cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woof-n

I am going to be doing a little off grid camping this year. This not something that I normally do. I have been searching pretty hard, looking for a RV roof Air conditioner that is 5,000 to 8000 btu's. Something that draws about 5-6 amps on 120V ac and will run on my 2200 kw Generac generator. My generator will run the current unit for just a few minutes if I set the fan on continuous low. It is close but no cigar. I have provisions for a second roof top AC. So far, I have come up empty handed. My current generator is mounted in a custom-made box mounted on the king pin. I really like this setup.

My options:
Buy a Generac 3300 watt and build a new box and mount on the king pin. Problem, a lot of cost and work to build a new box for something that I will use once in a great while.

Purchase a free-standing portable AC. Problem, the hot condenser air is exhausted outside but it uses inside conditioned air to cool the condenser. That means if you exhaust out 500 cfm, it is going to pull 500 cfm of unconditioned air through all the campers cracks and crevices. That always makes the room feel clammy. Also have the condensate issue to deal with.

Purchase a fan and sweat. Problem, I am getting soft. My idea of roughing it is when the AC is set to low, and we turn up the electric blanket because it is too cold to get out of bed and turn the AC off. lol

Buy an 8000 btu window shaker and install/remove from the bedroom emergency escape window as needed. This is probably my most cost-effective choice. Problem I have to pick it up, carry and store. It will always be in the way when not in use.

Question:
Is there an RV AC roof top unit that uses inverter/scrolling compressors that can limit output/current?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Lippert has one. Not sure if it is for sale. Big Truck Big RV has a video of it from Lippert 's headquarters. has potential.

I
Buy an 8000 btu window shaker and install/remove from the bedroom emergency escape window as needed. This is probably my most cost-effective choice. Problem I have to pick it up, carry and store.
That’s not your only problem. What if you have to get out through that emergency window. It happens.

That’s not your only problem. What if you have to get out through that emergency window. It happens.
I mounted an 8000 btu window unit in our emergency window. Basically I made a thin plywood frame that fit the window opening, and fastened the ac to that. I added lip at the top that slid over the top edge of the window. Because the weight of the unit held the bottom in place, all I would have to do for emergency exit was push the bottom of the ac unit out away from the bottom window edge and it would drop away. It works very well with my 2000 watt champion generator. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
I normally wouldn't gone to all that trouble, except for the fact that our roof top unit quit working just before a 2 week planned outing in July a couple of years ago.

Safe travels and all the best.

Does your current 2200 watt generator have a parallel port that allows you to add a second unit when you need more power? Not the cheapest option, but would allow you to add the extra power when needed without replacing the original or getting a different AC. Another option would be a 2 hose room style AC. The 2 hose units use outside air to cool the condenser rather than room air.

Have you looked at Soft Start or Active Start? Not sure what you are saying about your current AC unit only running for a few minutes.

Have you looked at Soft Start or Active Start? Not sure what you are saying about your current AC unit only running for a few minutes.
That occurred to me as well, I suspect his 2200 watt would run a single rooftop unit with a softstart capacitor. I can now run my 15k btu rooftop off my 20 amp home shore power plus run vacuum and other low draw appliances whereas before the soft start it was continually tripping with just the a/c running. I can run the a/c and microwave or a/c while dw runs blow dryer on campground pedestal 30 amp with no problems.

I have been thinking about a soft start, but I don't know if this would really help me. The full load amps are really close to the generators limit. As the AC builds head pressure, the FLA will go up. I am not an authority on soft starts, but I believe they are just capacitors that help spin the motor to get it started. Once it is running, it is running and the FLA does not decrease. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you need much air conditioning, I doubt that the small unit would keep your RV comfortable.
The sales brochure :) for an 8000 BTU AC is advertised to cool 350 sq ft. My four-season 5th wheel with slides open is 344 sq ft. Even if it does not completely cool it, it will take the humidity out. The whole house fan draws about .5 amps on low and I could run that to help homogenize the air temp throughout. I use the same fan when I use the fireplace electric heater to warm up the rest of the camper. Works pretty good.
Does your current 2200 watt generator have a parallel port that allows you to add a second unit when you need more power? Not the cheapest option, but would allow you to add the extra power when needed without replacing the original or getting a different AC. Another option would be a 2 hose room style AC. The 2 hose units use outside air to cool the condenser rather than room air.
Yes, I can stack another Generator on. That is certainly a viable option that I had not considered. I have not seen the two hose portables. I will look again Thanks.
I do have one double hung window in the dining room slide that would certainly be a better option. I would need to have some kind of reminder to remove the ac unit before closing the slide. I don't trust my memory.
Lippert has one. Not sure if it is for sale. Big Truck Big RV has a video of it from Lippert 's headquarters. has potential.
I did find this and was pretty excited that it was only 8875 BTUs until I read it was 12 volts and needs 60 to 80 amps. To run for 8-to 10 hours it requires 600 AHs of batteries.

I have been thinking about a soft start, but I don't know if this would really help me. The full load amps are really close to the generators limit. As the AC builds head pressure, the FLA will go up. I am not an authority on soft starts, but I believe they are just capacitors that help spin the motor to get it started. Once it is running, it is running and the FLA does not decrease. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The sales brochure :) for an 8000 BTU AC is advertised to cool 350 sq ft. My four-season 5th wheel with slides open is 344 sq ft. Even if it does not completely cool it, it will take the humidity out. The whole house fan draws about .5 amps on low and I could run that to help homogenize the air temp throughout. I use the same fan when I use the fireplace electric heater to warm up the rest of the camper. Works pretty good.

Yes, I can stack another Generator on. That is certainly a viable option that I had not considered. I have not seen the two hose portables. I will look again Thanks.

I do have one double hung window in the dining room slide that would certainly be a better option. I would need to have some kind of reminder to remove the ac unit before closing the slide. I don't trust my memory.

I did find this and was pretty excited that it was only 8875 BTUs until I read it was 12 volts and needs 60 to 80 amps. To run for 8-to 10 hours it requires 600 AHs of batteries.
The soft start will reduce both starting and FLA requirements. No guarantee it would solve your problem, but it's an upgrade to your rooftp unit in any event and the cheaper route.

Check out this under-bench unit: Pioneer® 9,000 BTU 115V Under-Bench RV Heat Pump Air Conditioner
specs:
Performance Data

Power Supply: 110~120V, 60Hz, 1Ph
Cooling Rated Capacity: 9,000 BTU/h
Cooling EER: 8.5 BTU/w
Cooling Consumption: 8.8A / 995W
Heating Rated Capacity: 9,000 BTU/h
Heating C.O.P.: 2.6 W/W
Heating Consumption: 7.2A / 810W
Refrigerant Type: R410A
Suitable Volume: 1,060 m3
Fan Speeds: 3 (Low/Med/High)

Many thanks to everyone for your thoughts and comments. They have helped me look at problem resolution though many perspectives. After long thought, I don't know that I am all that excited about off grid camping. I will know better after this summer. So, for the short term I am going to buy a two-hose portable AC for my workshop. I will use it in the camper for my off grid camping trip. If I love off grid camping. I will buy a generator that will run my whole camper. Thanks again for your thoughts and comments.

I'd just go buy the bigger generator and a soft cover and tie-down straps to hold it in place. It would seem to be a lot easier than taking out windows, buying extra hardware, big home-style AC that I wonder how it would do bouncing down the road, etc.

The sales brochure :) for an 8000 BTU AC is advertised to cool 350 sq ft. My four-season 5th wheel with slides open is 344 sq ft. Even if it does not completely cool it, it will take the humidity out.
That's an open area in a well-insulated building and even at that they are dreaming. Why do 250 sq ft RVs come equipped with 15,000 btu a/c units that still only manage a mediocre cooling? It's because they gain (or lose) heat rapidly because of poor insulation, numerous air leaks, and a relatively high proportion of windows to solid walls.

I'd just go buy the bigger generator and a soft cover and tie-down straps to hold it in place. It would seem to be a lot easier than taking out windows, buying extra hardware, big home-style AC that I wonder how it would do bouncing down the road, etc.
That is the plan if I love camping off the grid. I have a generator that I have not used in 4 years. The AC purchase is for the workshop.

That's an open area in a well-insulated building and even at that they are dreaming. Why do 250 sq ft RVs come equipped with 15,000 btu a/c units that still only manage a mediocre cooling? It's because they gain (or lose) heat rapidly because of poor insulation, numerous air leaks, and a relatively high proportion of windows to solid walls.
I can't help it. I love a science project. What is the worst that can happen?... Sweat? there is worst things that can happen on the road. :) I can buy a big generator anytime, most anywhere if I want to give up. I will test the idea at home in the heat of the summer before I leave. Wish me luck!!!!

I've always felt that RV AC manufacturers were a bit behind the bubble when it came to developing a 12 volt air conditioner for RVs. I have no personal experience with this unit, but I think it's a step in the right direction - especially for boondockers. If it's durable, I think it will make strong inroads with RVers. (in time) 12V/24V/48V VELIT 2000R Rooftop Air Conditioner

Kev

That is the plan if I love camping off the grid. I have a generator that I have not used in 4 years. The AC purchase is for the workshop.

I can't help it. I love a science project. What is the worst that can happen?... Sweat? there is worst things that can happen on the road. :) I can buy a big generator anytime, most anywhere if I want to give up. I will test the idea at home in the heat of the summer before I leave. Wish me luck!!!!
Our house is off grid, though we do have city water. Relying on filtered pond water got to be too much.

Some things are solar run, some are run with propane.

We use generators to to run big things like the oven (propane burners), air conditioning, table saw, and now the RV. We have been through many generators over the years, some we’ve Frankensteined so they could be remote controlled (generators are in an out building and it sucks to have to go turn it on or off in rain or snow). We recently purchased this generator: https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu7000is

We’ve always had Honda generators, though our first was generac. This model is what food truck guys use. A little steep in cost but has been so worth it. It’s not too noisy, it’s blue tooth controlled and handles all of our heavy duty needs including hooking the RV to shore power, it has clean power so it doesn’t toast computers, it seems to use less fuel too.

A data point for when you’re looking for a bigger, reliable, portable generator.

If it's durable, I think it will make strong inroads with RVers. (in time) 12V/24V/48V VELIT 2000R Rooftop Air Conditioner
The other part of the question is the fact that the sizes are 8000/9000/10000BTU, while in the RV world each unit in all but the smallest rigs are in the range of 13k - 17k BTU. My little travel trailer of only 19' inside with on slides does pretty well with an air conditioner of 9000 BTU but our 36' class A had two units of 15K each.

Our house is off grid, though we do have city water. Relying on filtered pond water got to be too much.

Some things are solar run, some are run with propane.

We use generators to to run big things like the oven (propane burners), air conditioning, table saw, and now the RV. We have been through many generators over the years, some we’ve Frankensteined so they could be remote controlled (generators are in an out building and it sucks to have to go turn it on or off in rain or snow). We recently purchased this generator: https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu7000is

We’ve always had Honda generators, though our first was generac. This model is what food truck guys use. A little steep in cost but has been so worth it. It’s not too noisy, it’s blue tooth controlled and handles all of our heavy duty needs including hooking the RV to shore power, it has clean power so it doesn’t toast computers, it seems to use less fuel too.

A data point for when you’re looking for a bigger, reliable, portable generator.
I'm a firm believer in Honda generators. Not so much their lawnmowers, don't know what went wrong there, but I've owned two of them and neither of them held up well.

I'm a firm believer in Honda generators. Not so much their lawnmowers, don't know what went wrong there, but I've owned two of them and neither of them held up well.
Hondas do fall apart when it comes to taming the yard. We have had John Deere and Kubota for the yard. Both have held up pretty well. In fact the old man is doing the Spring maintenance on the John Deere some time soon. The parts arrived today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foogie
Back
Top Bottom