Trying to winterize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yvon

I have a Jayco Melbourne prestige. I’m trying to winterize it. Followed the instructions to siphon antifreeze. Hauls about a cup in and stops. Am I missing something?

Are you opening faucets? The pump will stop unless you do. Once pressure builds up the pump shuts off. Start with the furthest faucet from the pump. Both hot and cold and the the next pair inline. And toilet. Then slightly openthe pow point drains until A/F comes out.
PS: have you bypassed the water heater. You really do not want to fill the heater with A/F. Bypass and drain it.

The pump doesn’t stop. Just doesn’t siphon antifreeze. And yup I bypassed the hot water. And emptied the tank

This is common. Mine does the same thing. What you have to do is raise the pink antifreeze container higher than the hose connection in the camper.

Some folks remove the little spring check valve and put on a double washer and then it will pull from the ground. But, I've never been able to get mine to do that either.

But raising the RV antifreeze container higher than the connection port will work. I set up a base that I clamp to the top of a 6 foot ladder and the gallon jug of RV antifreeze sits in the base so it won't fall over.

Try raising the RV antifreeze container higher than the fill port. I bet it will work then.

If the pump doesn't stop it means there's a loose connection at the pump. Air enters and the antifreeze stops getting sucked in.

But when I have it set to pump water from the fresh water tank , ie, boondocking, it stops….

Maybe I'm missing something, maybe not.

You say it pumps about a cup and then quits.

When working with the antifreeze port, the antifreeze will suck in and then pipes pressurize and the pump will stop. Open a faucet and the pump will start pumping again. Turn the faucet off, the pump will stop again. Go to the next faucet and repeat.

When you initially start the pump, all the faucets need to be turned off. If they are not, it won't pressurize and the pump won't pump.

So, not sure how you are doing it, but this might be one clue to help you out.

All the faucets are closed. I start the pump and sometimes it draws a little anti freeze, but the pump is still on. It doesn’t shut off. But it draws nothing.

All the faucets are closed. I start the pump and sometimes it draws a little anti freeze, but the pump is still on. It doesn’t shut off. But it draws nothing.
It reinforces my theory that there is no proper sealing at the pump's connections.

At least one faucet must be open for the pump to be able to draw in the AF

At least one faucet must be open for the pump to be able to draw in the AF
Yeah, but that's only after the pump has been primed. And it usually stops after the fact, until you open a faucet and then the AF starts flowing.

Well, it sounds like you are doing everything right, so I guess it's now back to basics 101.

From your description, you are definitely getting air before the pump, not after it, especially since you said the pump was pumping water from your fresh water tank. So that means it's drawing air somewhere between the antifreeze bottle and the pump.

Start by re-checking the hose you use to stick in the antifreeze jug. Make sure there are no holes in it. If that passes, then second, make sure the hose is connected good at the port.

I'm assuming you have a separate port to attach a hose (garden hose connection style), and you are not having to pull the in-take like directly off the water pump and attach a hose there.

So, my next guess is, it's either the connection or hose you are using.

One more thing? Have you checked the pipe, behind the wall, that leads from the hose connection to the pump and make sure it's not cracked or broken or leaking.

But somewhere, it's feeding air in between the antifreeze jug and the pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom