Unbreakable Corelle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My "Gold Butterfly" Corelle dates the 1970's (that makes it roughly 40 to 50 years old) and was bought in 1987. I've only broken a couple pieces, none while driving. And both my "pre-owned" and newer "Frost White" Corelle has bounced down the highways since 1987 in a popup camper, Class C, bus conversion and truck camper with no cushioning between the plates and bowls, just like my mason jars that I use for food storage and as drinkware. No one in the family likes eating off of plastic, so we don't. And the only time we eat off paper is when we have a dryish sandwich, for which we use waxed deli paper. But then we are a bit different.

Corning, one of their plants is just 15 miles from my home near Renselear Falls, NY; does some facinating development. I have a good friend retired from there - he was in develpment - lots of secrets in that company. Amazing, the products, corelleware being one of them, they have developed.

Just in case folks didn't understand my first message in this thread, Corelle is virtually indestructible, unless you do something stupid like drop it on concrete, as I did.

Just in case folks didn't understand my first message in this thread, Corelle is virtually indestructible, unless you do something stupid like drop it on concrete, as I did.
The video shows the factory doing a 6 1/2’ drop test, you must have dropped it 6’ 7”. 😂😅🤣

Some do shatter; break is not the correct term for what DW had since the 1970's. She had it in an upper cabinet in our last 5er, we hit a rough stretch in a highway, the cabinet door opened, Corelleware fell out onto the imitation marble countertop and shattered. I used a vacuum sweeper every day for a week and still sucked up shards of glass the last day.
When we returned home I used her upright Hoover 3-4 times and still sucked up shards of glass. That stopped us from going barefoot in the camper living, dining room,kitchen.

You should have seen my first set I ever owned after our first house burned down. All still stacked neatly in the cabinets... until you touched it, then it was like breaking tempered glass. Very interesting. The fire got so hot in the kitchen area that we couldn't tell what appliances had been on the counters. The microwave had melted away to a puddle. This is what happens when your house is framed out of wormy chestnut.

I am really surprised at you Lou,, with your engineering background and you didn't calculate the load,, angles,,and mass and support it properly.???..>>>Dan:rolleyes: ( I know,, the money wasn't there to support all that work.)

Last edited:
I have - and wound up with a lapful of food when it folded in half.

That's what you get for using the cheapo's. I use those Dixie Ultras or the generic equivalent for every meal I make except a steak.
I carry a 4-piece set of Melomine and I'll use one of those plates when I cook myself a steak. That way I don't cut the bottom out of the plate.

The solution is real simple. Use what you want to use for plates. There is no law that says you have to use any particular type or brand of plates or utensils. Corelle, melmac, paper, stoneware or metal is all acceptable if it's what you want to use. Stop thinking like lemmings. If you aren't sure if a certain type of something will work, go to a thrift store, buy a couple and take them traveling. After a few uses, you can decide if you want to invest in a whole set of whatever it is. I've known people who take fine china and crystal glassware in their campers. They just pack them well.

"Pretty harsh comments"? I don't think so. Perhaps it loses something in the printing. Some of you RVers think that your opinions are law. It's a bit tiresome.

New Rv owner here. Just starting to outfit my rig. Was considering Corelle, but traveling with a pet, I'd be fearful of if one broke, my kitty would be finding all those minute splinters quicker than I could. Plus, I like leaving my shoes at the door. I guess I could always use my bare feet to find the bits of glass!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom