Water transfer pump...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cameodon

Will be boondocking in southern Maine mid may for 2-4 weeks then central Maine after that for a while next yr. Need recommendations on small battery operated transfer pump to push/pump water from spring maybe 40-50 ft to trailer. it's ok if it's slow, I really don't care if it takes an hr to pump/push 40-50 gals. Do not want anything heavy. I keep saying pump/push because pump can sit IN the spring and push the water. You can push water a lot farther than pull it.
That is as long as the water isn't still frozen then!!! LOL Thanks.

Sorry i meant to add, hopefully 12V, 18V not 110, rather not mess with cord but I probably could if I had to....
Farmington N.H.....we won't be all that far from you!!

When you answer what power you would like to use, you also need to tell us how high the water inlet will be above the surface of the stream. Frozen doesn't matter, just use a hatchet to open a hole for the pump.
I may have two workable answers for you.
If 12VDC, get a lot of wire and a bilge pump for a small boat.
If 120VAC, find a "garden pump", these are available all over if you look for them.
Either will want to be put in a cloth bag because they will be in sand and gravel that is not their normal environment and they will need protection.
Matt

Sorry i meant to add, hopefully 12V, 18V not 110, rather not mess with cord but I probably could if I had to....
Farmington N.H.....we won't be all that far from you!!
You’ll be around 40 or so miles from me

Last edited:
A small transfer pump. has 1/2 inch inlet and outlet.
This isAmazon dot com. Many to choose from Different capacities all are 12 volt battery operatred

Oh. and they can come in handy in case of a breakdown (of the on board pump)

Assorted water pumps at Amazon

If you scroll down far enough there is one that is called a 'Transfer Pump" but it's over 100 dollars. I'd try to keep it under 50.. Get close to the specs of the pump you have because with some pump control systems a more powerful pump may not work (Unless you know you dont' have that kind of system) Two major types of pump control systems
one is a switch or two. just like the lights in your house No electronics
the other is electronic (This is the one that's picky)

I just saw one on that Amazon link made by Populo hybrid pump. It will pump over 150 gallons of water on a single charge. 325 GPH. 45’ max head lift. 20 volt DC or 110 volt AC. Scroll down to the red pump.

Last edited:
We got a Harbor Freight one that we connect to truck. Not sure if it would work at the distance you need. We fill plastic containers then pump at trailer.

Your RV has a 12v battery, so get a 12v pump and enough wire to reach the RV battery. It can be submersible or suction - take your pick. Submersible works fine from a bucket or open tank; suction works with that or a standard faucet outlet (threaded or use a "hose bandit" type adapter).

If you will be using the city inlet, a small bilge pump won't do it but a medium size will. Better yet, a "wash deck" pump or a transfer pump, both of which generate more pressure. The reason is that the city inlet has a check valve that has to be forced open, so you need some psi pushing the water.

you dont want to "mess with a cord" so you are asking about a self-contained battery powered pump?
Everyone is showing you pumps that have to be plugged in. I am betting that you already know about all the RV water pumps people are showing you - if you know what a pump is then you know that these exist....
50 feet is a long run for DC power, there will be a voltage drop, but it might not be enough to matter to the pump. You will want to use the biggest wire you can, but you said no cord, so all the links to pumps are useless... I would use an AC pump if doing the cord as you can run 300 feet without problem on AC, and you likely carry 50 feet of extension cord anyway. 50 feet is nothing on AC current.

you dont want to "mess with a cord" so you are asking about a self-contained battery powered pump?
Everyone is showing you pumps that have to be plugged in. I am betting that you already know about all the RV water pumps people are showing you - if you know what a pump is then you know that these exist....
50 feet is a long run for DC power, there will be a voltage drop, but it might not be enough to matter to the pump. You will want to use the biggest wire you can, but you said no cord, so all the links to pumps are useless... I would use an AC pump if doing the cord as you can run 300 feet without problem on AC, and you likely carry 50 feet of extension cord anyway. 50 feet is nothing on AC current.
Oh there’s no debate, if I use a cord it will be AC, otherwise it will be DC battery.

AC is fine as long as you have a 120vac power source. We suggested DC pumps because this appeared to be a boondocking need and thus battery more useful.

I ran my 12v transfer pump using a adapter plugs that allowed me to employ 120vac extension cord(s) as needed between the two 12v ends. I already carried those cords, so the adapters gave me both distance and 20A amp capacity (12 ga cord). The adapter puts 12dc on the 120vac ground and neutral pins to avoid hazardous mistakes.

AC is fine as long as you have a 120vac power source. We suggested DC pumps because this appeared to be a boondocking need and thus battery more useful.

I ran my 12v transfer pump using a adapter plugs that allowed me to employ 120vac extension cord(s) as needed between the two 12v ends. I already carried those cords, so the adapters gave me both distance and 20A amp capacity (12 ga cord). The adapter puts 12dc on the 120vac ground and neutral pins to avoid hazardous mistakes.
Oh I agree Gary! I'm definitely lookin at DC pumps.
Why don't you find out what model pump your RV currently uses and buy one of those. That way when you're done in Maine you have a spare part for your RV should your current water pump ever fail.
Good idea but I am concerned with pushing water 40-50+' from spring to camper. I know you can PUSH water almost forever so that may work, I'll look into it. Good thought

I love the idea of the Populo Hybrid Water Pump. Runs runs off 110 volt AC or 20 volt DC. The only thing I would change is either see if the head could be rotated 180 degrees or I would purchase two 45 degree hose adapters. I don’t like the way both hoses come off the pump. I’d be concerned about the hoses kinking especially the suction hose.

Good idea but I am concerned with pushing water 40-50+' from spring to camper. I know you can PUSH water almost forever so that may work, I'll look into it.
If you keep the pump intake close to the water source and at near the same level (a low "pump head"), you are mostly pushing rather than sucking. But you need long power wire. Or a portable battery. I always had a couple 20A or 30A extension cords with me anyway, so could easily put togther a cord for 50+ feet (using the adapters I described in my previous message)

I love the idea of the Populo Hybrid Water Pump. Runs runs off 110 volt AC or 20 volt DC. The only thing I would change is either see if the head could be rotated 180 degrees or I would purchase two 45 degree hose adapters. I don’t like the way both hoses come off the pump. I’d be concerned about the hoses kinking especially the suction hose.
I wonder if that head maybe can be rotated 180 degrees...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom