What are your travel plans for 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Due to our medical constraints where our doctors don't want us to be more than 2 hours away from home and medical support, we'll be spending 8 weeks in 2 week increments at Gilbert Lake State Park near Oneonta, NY. We'll also squeeze in a week at a new us Schodack Island State Park near Troy, NY. Obviously we really like Gilbert Lake SP, both for the beauty of the park and the fact that it's only 20 minutes from our granddaughter's house. Between going there and them visiting the park, we'll get plenty time to enjoy our now 7 year old great-granddaughter!

1) Heading to the Phoenix area (McDowell Mountain Regional Park) this Friday. Staying there until the middle of Feb. May head further South to Tuson/Tombstone/Brisbee and/or to Austin and/or Houston (may visit NASA since we have a friend that's work there for 40 years) or may come back home to Rapid City.

2) Big Horn mountains, WY, Sibley Lake middle of June for 10 days.

3) Yellowstone at Fishing bridge RV park the first week in August. May head down to the Wind River range after that or head back home depending on how we feel at the time.

4) Petosky, MI end of August to the first or second week in Oct. depending on the weather.

Due to our medical constraints where our doctors don't want us to be more than 2 hours away from home and medical support, we'll be spending 8 weeks in 2 week increments at Gilbert Lake State Park near Oneonta, NY. We'll also squeeze in a week at a new us Schodack Island State Park near Troy, NY.
Good to see you guys making do with the circumstances you're dealing with! Gilbert Lake is indeed a nice park. We stayed there with some friends a couple years back.

Weird but as we typically don't travel that much in the summer I know a lot more about out of state parks in TX and along the Gulf Coast than I do about parks right in our backyard!

Good to see you guys making do with the circumstances you're dealing with! Gilbert Lake is indeed a nice park. We stayed there with some friends a couple years back.

Weird but as we typically don't travel that much in the summer I know a lot more about out of state parks in TX and along the Gulf Coast than I do about parks right in our backyard!
Same here! We have our favorite NY parks, but overall we know a lot more about Florida and Georgia state parks...

Our 2024 travel plans started on Dec 26, 2023. We left Anderson, Indiana and spent an overnight at a small campground in Gilbertsville, Ky.

From there we traveled to Cosar State Park (Oakland, Mississippi) and spent the night of Dec 27 there.

From there we traveled to Lake Lincoln State Park in Wesson, Mississippi where we spent the night of Dec 28, 29, and 30.

On December 31 (Tomorrow morning), we're heading to St. Francisville, Louisiana where I will be a tour guide at the Audubon State Historic Site for the months of Jan, Feb, and Mar (2024) in exchange for a full hook-up site.

We'll return home (Indiana) shortly after April 1.

We'll probably do week long trips to some of the many state parks in Indiana between April 1 and the end of June.

July 1, we'll be back at Pilot Mountain State Park, NC (Mount Airy area) as a camp host for all of July and August.

Not sure what we'll do after August, but kind of hoping we can get more state parks lined up in Indiana till the end of October.

I do know, North Carolina wants me to camp host at more State Parks and since I got my foot in the door in Louisiana, I've already been asked about doing a more conventional campground host at some of the other state parks. So who knows what may become of all of this.

Had to c/x last falls trip to Maine to bury brothers ashes and set his grave marker due to cancer with the daughter and then sickness with wife. after that we had planned on Tulsa Oklahoma and point in between this spring to visit daughter, step son in Missouri and points in between. So told wife at our age (me healthy mid 70's) we may not have forever to enjoy ourselves so we plan on Tulsa May-mid June, back home and Maine late Sept/early oct thru Nov till it gets too cold. Each trip 2500-3000 miles. Thats about we can afford this year. oh... forgot granddaughters wedding Mayberry No. Carolina early March...

As many might recall I am transitioning from a Class A that is slowly dying in my yard to a TT. I am also a guy who likes to work with a deadline - LOL... I am currently building up the war chest to buy but I need a deadline so...

A good buddy and I are booked into Round 9(?) of the pro motocross circuit at Unadilla (New Berlin NY) August 10th. The plan is for him to fly into Jax and we will road trip to NY.

Plan is to buy the TT NLT June and get at least one shake down trip done. After NY I plan to hit the road for an extended period leaving my kid in charge of the homestead.

We are booked in the "premium" RV parking.

1704460564967.png

At McDowell Mountain Regional Park next to Fountain Hills AZ. An amazing RV park. Very difficult to get reservations. We are here until Feb 9th.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 3
June- Travel perimeter of Prince Edward Island from Nova Scotia and stay at the camp at the lighthouses for a few days, then May head into north eastern US is time permits.. July- book a nearby campground and venture into Quebec city for a few days :)

Interesting that this thread popped up again. Things morph into new directions for sure.

I posted above, here's the follow up.

Jan, Feb, March we WERE at Audubon State Historic Site near St. Francisville, Louisiana and it was the most rewarding experience of my life serving as a tour guide to a plantation house and doing a hundred different tasks around the plantation.

Se did return home to Indiana for the month of April. We had Dr. visits, pet Vet visits, got our taxes done, did some work around the house.

Then turned right around and headed back to the Audubon State Historic Site near St. Francisville where we are now currently (again), for the month of May and June. I'm doing house tours again and still have on my plate another hundred minor little tasks to help out at the plantation.

We are still scheduled to go to Pilot Mountain State Park for the month of July and August as camp hosts.

Then back to Indiana for the month of September.

Then BACK to Louisiana again to Audubon for the months of Oct, Nov, and December (2024)..... what a great year!

I've enjoyed and .... still enjoying .... my position at the Plantation. It's absolutely phenomenal! Who would have though. I dress in character (1821) as a Plantation "Mr" and give tours! Fascaniting! I love this!

Then returning back to Indiana for Jan and Feb (2025) and believe it or not ..... back to Louisiana for the month of Mar, April, and May (2025)!

My son is tending to our house in Indiana just fine! Of course he lives there and afterr all.... we did deed it over to him a couple years ago! So, we are truly LIVING THE DREAM!

Life just dojn't get better than this!

Starting off in California.

Thinking Southern Utah in Spring.

Probably visit the Oregon Coast in Summer.

The other half wants to do a bigger trip towards Fall but we haven’t planned that far yet.

Little trips in-between.

California happened--and it was fantastic. And so far, nothing else.

As such, we've planned an emergency getaway trip for a few weeks from now to the Washington coast. Rain or shine, we don't care, we just need to get out and enjoy it.

I don't know what the rest of the year looks like. My father in law had a cancer scare and he's not out of the woods quite yet, but I think we've ruled out it's anything major. We've also been preoccupied with potentially moving and were a good ways down a checklist to listing our house. We've hit the pause button on that. Before we know it, our winter RV trip to California will be here again!

Well, we're back to Colorado after a fall at a rest stop put the Mrs in the ER during the Waco trip.
(Lesson learned, don't let her start through a door, while a total stranger is " holding the door for her." He let go before I could get my hand on the door, and it had a pretty strong spring on it.)
And now two weddings will likely keep us in the West most of the Summer.

Last edited:
We're heading south from Boulder City NV to Gilbert Ray Campground near Tucson AZ and no idea where we're going after that. 😁
My type of trip! We actually have a few pre-planned locations, but we don’t have much planned in between them. Leaving mid June headed (gradually) to a UTV trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon after Independence Day (NFS dispersed), then a week at a campground in southern Utah for more UTV rides (a week in between those is TBD), then gradually wander up to West Yellowstone (Bakers Hole) for 6 nights then gradually wandering to the Oregon Coast for a rally followed by another rally the nest week in central Oregon. That gets us to mid August when we decide what to do from there, depending on weather and fires.

July- we will be driving around Prince Edward Island for a few days-sticking to the perimeter and boondocking at the many lighthouses available.
Aug- taking off to Quebec City, find a campground close and do a walking tour for a few days..if more time permits we may head into the northern states. The rest will be day trips and over nights on weekends across the province :)

Back
Top Bottom