What is most important to you when choosing a campsite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To camp free within 100 miles of any small town within any direction that has services. Drove approximately that distance yesterday to Ely, Nevada to have a 10 gallon propane tank filled, the 2 and 5/16 inch trailer ball torqued down, a trailer tire patched, gasoline, generator oil, supplies, and fast food burgers.

I have been in a couple of coastal state parks in Oregon where I was told backing into a back-in site was mandatory. When I questioned it, I was told it was so vehicles could get out quickly without blocking the roadway if a tsunami was imminent. On the other hand, there are a couple of Atlantic-view state parks in Florida where almost everyone pulls in forward to back-in sites if they overlook the ocean.
We've been to a few parks that had "no driving in" rules, sometimes based on the erroneous thinking that a tow truck couldn't pull your rig out backwards. Other than that, here's a couple of photos from inside our motorhome, one in Florida and one in NY where we drove in for the view. No one complained...

Robert Moses State Park, NY0714160700.jpg

Ft Clinch State Park, Florida
100_7056.JPG

Depending on the view I like to pull in front first in back-in sites. I like having the scenic view through the windshield instead of seeing the RV across the road. Does require a long reach for the hookups though.
Not easy with a trailer 😁

The caution about heading in alternate to your neighbor is you can have front doors facing. Where I stayed long term a big 40 footer came in and fronted in. The space between the RVs was probably 25-30 feet.

They were an older couple and had a giant "wolf breed" looking dog that neither one could handle on a leash and the dog knew it. The second thing they did was move their picnic table on their door side so they were like 15 feet from my front door.

And then to top it all off he was (sorry to stereotype) a trailer trash redneck and an angry drunk. Their daughter would visit, they'd get drunk and they had a metal portable fire pit.

One day he placed the pit (probably on my side of the line) but at least right at the line. He was about to fire it up and I (very politely) asked him to move it towards his RV as I though it could be a fire hazard for me.

He lit off at me in no uncertain terms - and he wasn't even drunk yet. For some reason he was just an angry bitter a-hole. So now he is already wound up by me he proceeds to get drunk and then the angry trailer trash crap show starts with him and the daughter getting into it.

I finally had enough and called the Sheriff who came and shut the party down. They stayed for the last month I was there and if I didn't know I was pulling stakes I seriously would have moved.

The other reason for backing in is so you can watch inexperienced people back into a campsite. (I do sometimes offer to help, but often people do not want help.) It used to also be entertaining to watch a husband and wife yell instructions back and forth as they tried to set up TV satellite dishes. Unfortunately, most satellite dishes are now automatic, which results in fewer domestic arguments.

My cousin, who is a boater, says that when he is too old to drive his boat, he will get one of those lounge chairs with a cooler and an umbrella and park himself at the boat ramp on busy weekends to watch people try to launch their boats.

The other reason for backing in is so you can watch inexperienced people back into a campsite. (I do sometimes offer to help, but often people do not want help.) It used to also be entertaining to watch a husband and wife yell instructions back and forth as they tried to set up TV satellite dishes. Unfortunately, most satellite dishes are now automatic, which results in fewer domestic arguments.

My cousin, who is a boater, says that when he is too old to drive his boat, he will get one of those lounge chairs with a cooler and an umbrella and park himself at the boat ramp on busy weekends to watch people try to launch their boats.
The two unwritten prime directives in RV campgrounds is never knock on another campers door and never try to help a camper back their RV in to a site or depart a site. For the latter, the person behind the wheel has no idea whether the person offering the help is an idiot or not. I know I don't want anyone bothering me when I'm negotiating getting backed onto a site.

Docks and buoy pickups are just as much fun if not more. Especially couples. especially if there is wind and current.

I will say that I have been pulling and driving trailers since I got my license. The first trailer was a 30 foot glider trailer on the back of a 1963 Ford Country Sedan 6-banger.

I have 4 trailers sitting out in my yard. They are all different beasts. Short tongue/short wheel base, long tongue/ long wheelbase. I fully admit that whatever trailer I hook up, the first time I go to back it up, it's a learning experience to do it well and remember what I can expect from each trailer in terms of backing radius etc.

The thing is that you make "one" wrong stab and 20 lookie loos are gonna swarm over you shouting advice and directions. No amount of talking will convince them you don't need their help.

I used to tell my friends, "Never offer to help a guy dock his boat unless you are willing to commit participate in the cost of the repairs." I'd say the same for being a trailer marshal to some stranger

OK, I broke my campground rule of within 100 miles from services. It's 105 miles to Tonopah and the same to Ely, Nevada from an established campground. No gas and no services except in those closest towns.

The thing is that you make "one" wrong stab and 20 lookie loos are gonna swarm over you shouting advice and directions. No amount of talking will convince them you don't need their help.
How true. This video has been posted here previously but I think worth reposting. Not an RV, but...

It tends to go the opposite in a truck stop or shipper with people backing semis. Any witnesses would rather upload a live stream for some likes and subs instead of offering to help.

I'll usually watch, but mind my own business until:
A. They're about to tear off my hood.
B. They're obviously struggling and in a knot, and I don't want to sit up any longer waiting for impact.

Then I'll just walk up and offer to help. If they say no, so be it. Just don't crash into me. Usually though, it's a rookie that's set up wrong to begin with, and is now stressing out. Every attempt makes it worse, then the clutch gets hot and chattering and it's over. Often telling them to set the brakes for 10 min and get out to walk it off settles them down enough to get it done.

Even after 12 yrs doing this, I'm no expert and set up wrong sometimes. It happens. If someone is willing to get out and help, I'll put them to work. I still get out and look to verify if their directions are unclear, or they act less than sure.

Funny part is, I do my best backing when fatigued. Roll into a truck stop after a really long day and I can nail a blind side park with no pull ups. Stop somewhere for lunch after two hours with lots of empty spaces on both sides and I'm all over the place.

Then there was this incident which happened about 70 miles from my house a few years ago on Lake Sam Rayburn in Texas.

That's why I never seriously considered using my Class A to launch my boat. That ramp is fairly flat. the other crazy thing is it appears he is self launching. Also seems crazy that he didn't have a bow line to secure the boat from floating away.

So many things wrong here - LOL...

I just came from my local marina. When the launch ramp is busy, it's the best show in town. Especially at low tide. And it's free. :)

Video ended. Did the pickup truck manage to pull him up to the ramp? It looks like he was in really deep water. And what in the heck did he need an extension cord for?? Or was he referring to a chain or rope??

There are other longer videos of the incident out there on youtube that shows it out of the water, but I think there is a tow truck in them.

Depending on the view I like to pull in front first in back-in sites. I like having the scenic view through the windshield instead of seeing the RV across the road. Does require a long reach for the hookups though.
There is an RV resort in the Knoxville area that only allows class A's on the riverfront sites and they REQUIRE that you pull in, apparently so you have a view of their wonderful river.

Charles

I just came from my local marina. When the launch ramp is busy, it's the best show in town. Especially at low tide. And it's free. :)
The other side of that coin...

We were at a campground in TX a couple years back. Can't remember if it was State or COE but in any event there was some kind of boating "event" as the boat parking area was packed with pickups and trailers.

Later that afternoon they all started to return to the loading ramp. A few dozen trolling around waiting their turn as the boat owners backed the trailers in. Obviously no newbies in that crowd as it was pretty impressive to watch as they drove up, turned around, and backed in swiftly without ever having to do the back/forth realign thing. Boat pulled up on the trailer and bang-- they were out of the water. Almost like they've done that before... ;)

To get back to the OP’s original question…
  1. Level
  2. 50 amp power
That’s all I ask for.

Don’t care if it is a pull-through or a back-in site. I’m happy with either.

The other side of that coin...

We were at a campground in TX a couple years back. Can't remember if it was State or COE but in any event there was some kind of boating "event" as the boat parking area was packed with pickups and trailers.

Later that afternoon they all started to return to the loading ramp. A few dozen trolling around waiting their turn as the boat owners backed the trailers in. Obviously no newbies in that crowd as it was pretty impressive to watch as they drove up, turned around, and backed in swiftly without ever having to do the back/forth realign thing. Boat pulled up on the trailer and bang-- they were out of the water. Almost like they've done that before... ;)
It was probably a bass tournament, that's like us parking our car, just a thing.

Ban campfires. Know the prevailing wind pattern and have a "no smoking" section for folks that are tired of enjoying other's weekend camping burns.

Yes, we know campfires and cookouts on flame are great, but the folks downwind have no choice and too many folks have zero concern for others.

My G! I sound like a prissy fool...
Let'em have it. It they don't want to know your opinion they shouldn't ask. I have chronic acute Asthma, as much as I like to sit around a campfire talking, that's no longer a part of my life pleasures.

As to my preferences for a site; 50A FHU and enough room for my MH and towed.

Back
Top Bottom