What name to be called

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our grands call Chris Grandma Chris and me just Grandpa. Greatgrands call me Grandpa Tom. No logic or thought behind these, they just happened.

If we used our native Welsh, we'd be Mamgu (Chris, pronounced Mamgee) and Taid (me). But none of our grands or greatgrands speak Welsh :(y
My Irish gran and grandpa were mathair chriona and athair chriona , which just exploded my spellcheck. My gran came with the red hair and the temper.

My Arabic, Kurdish and Persian friends refer to anyone’s grandmother as if she were their own, in casual conversation they will call her mama, out of respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
Let your grandchildren choose what they call you. All this fancy picking a name for oneself just causes irritation, jealousy, and is probably not what your grandchildren will end up calling you anyway.

One of my grandchildren decided when he was about 3 that since he sees the other grandmother more than me, she was "Grandma," but since he figured out I was the second grandma, I was "Grandma Grandma." I was not the least insulted, and frankly, thought it was clever of him to be able to count grandmas!! And I am still Grandma Grandma to him and his siblings, all of which are now teenagers. If they want to change what they call me as adults, that's fine, too.

Let your grandchildren choose what they call you. All this fancy picking a name for oneself just causes irritation, jealousy, and is probably not what your grandchildren will end up calling you anyway.
Amen, thank you Judy. I have no grandchildren yet, and when/if I do, Grandpa, or what they prefer (within reason) is what I wish to be called. I have a sister that insists being called a certain name, it makes me vomit.

We'll let other provide their advice about what you should be called. However, Donna and I want to send along our heartiest CONGRATULATIONS. For what it's worth, our grandkids just added Great to both Grandmother & Granddad for our parents.

Ed

Amen, thank you Judy. I have no grandchildren yet, and when/if I do, Grandpa, or what they prefer (within reason) is what I wish to be called. I have a sister that insists being called a certain name, it makes me vomit.
My ex insists on our grandchildren calling him "Pops" and the kids are now teenagers and really dislike it. (And his current wife says she is too young to be called anything resembling Grandma, and trust me, she is NOT too old.) The grandkids see him and her only once a year or so, but the rest of us just let the kids call us what they want to call us, within reason, as you said. MUCH easier!

My Arabic, Kurdish and Persian friends refer to anyone’s grandmother as if she were their own,...
I also grew up calling everyone in the neighborhood who was old enough, "Grandma LastName or GrandpaLastName," so I had a lot of grandmas and grandpas who enjoyed visits from children. I even was taught to call several of my close cousin's grandparents, as "Grandma LastName, etc." Worked out fine, and my real grandparents never got jealous or upset.

As a side note, our East Indian neighbours and all of their community's children referred to every Indian adult as aunt and uncle.

Ed

"G-mem" and "G-pep"

You can infer "great-mem" and great-pep" or the "Original Gangsta" (OG) Grands.

But I 100% agree with Judy. Nick names are never given by the nick-namee - Let the grands figure it out on their own. Also the great advantage of being the first grand kids or the first great grandkids - naming rights on all the old farts they have to keep straight in their heads...

1966, I was 4 years old, living on an old street in St.Louis. Neighbor girl, maybe 6 yrs old, sitting on her porch as my older brother and I walked by on the sidewalk- "I'm chocolate and you vanilla, and everybody know that chocolate better than vanilla".
And I thought "damn, she's right, chocolate is better than vanilla".

My SIL's family decided they would be grandma and grandpa so we are granny and gramps. But it's confusing because we are called grandma and grandpa by 3 other sets of grandkids. So if you have other children who may have grandchildren try to lay claim to your names before the in-laws claim it for themselves.

Last edited:
My SIL's family decided they would be grandma and grandpa so we are granny and gramps. But it's confusing because we are called grandma and grandpa by 3 other sets of grandkids. So if you have other children who may have grandchildren try to lay claim to your names before the in-laws claim it for themselves.
I'm not sure what difference it really makes. Both of my grandpas were Grandpa and both grandmas were Grandma.

I'm not sure what difference it really makes. Both of my grandpas were Grandpa and both grandmas were Grandma.
I think it would be confusing to everyone. If you tell them grandpa will pick you up from school today, which grandpa? Remember from the Bob Newhart show: "Hi! I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl".

Back
Top Bottom