What type of water pipes do I have in my 2006 Itasca ellipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cupe873

Hi all
I am replacing my kitchen faucet, planning on cutting off the old fitting and using SharkBite to convert from pipes I have to a PEX fitting to hook up the new sink. I think I have polybutylene pipes but am having a hard time confirming that. SharkBite does have a fitting for transition from polybutylene pipe to PEX. Does anyone know if it is polybutylene pipes that I have?

Thanks
John Braidwood

As new as 2006,, it should be PEX.. By looking under the sink or other plumbing areas, you should see it. Pex is white and bytyl is gray,, they also could be red or blue for hot and cold water lines..>>>Dan

They are pale white almost see through with what looks like a braid in them. I think they must be PEX. Thanks

the gasket in the compression fitting is messed up and the faucet has different fitting then the old one.

Thanks but I am up in B.C. Canada. Just heading to the hardware store to buy some PEX fitting. I will give it a try and see how it works.

The faucet has two pigtail hoses, hot and cold of very tiny (about 1/4 inch ID) braided hose, that has larger fittings on the ends, the braided hose is permanently attached to the faucet. Most likely a faucet that fits in one hole, has a gooseneck spout and knobs on either side at 45 degree angles. Bathroom faucet is similar.

Pic of the underside of the sink area in my 2007 View shows a light gray pipe, so most likely polybutyl

Charles

Attachments

• Image025.jpg
    Image025.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hi John
I know you had basically the same MH. Do you think it is Polybutylene or something else.

All’s I know is that I have replaced 3 of the infamous defective slip to 1/2” adapters, as well as the check valve (which was not fun.), and have used Sharkbite on all and they have been solid for years now. All my pipe is milky white, and the PEX tubing that I have used looks exactly the same

Just got back to my motorhome last night. Looked at the water pipes and they are PEX a.

PEX-A is the most flexible of all PEX tubing types, has little or no coil memory and gives installer an ability to repair kinks with a heat gun. It has been in use for over 50 years (which is longer than other types) with few publicly known issues (3), which is a good indicator of reliability.
There are two important downsides to this type. First and foremost is a high rate of chemical leaching – from 50% to over 200% higher than PEX-B (2), which is a major concern for plumbing applications. Second is the price, which coupled with fittings and tools may become as much as 2-3 times higher than PEX-B or PEX-C options.
While a leading PEX-A manufacturer claims that their tubing has highest resistance to crack propagation, independent testing(2) shows that PEX-B is actually shows the same or higher resistance to long-term oxidation which appears to be the primary reason for crack formation in the pipes and their subsequent failure.
A lower bending radius in PEX-A (6 times the OD vs. 8 times the OD for PEX-B & C) is helpful, but offers little practical advantage in most cases.

There is a brass fitting to go from PEX a to PEX b.

I believe they use PEX a in RVs because they can expand better if the pipes freeze.

...Just got back to my motorhome last night. Looked at the water pipes and they are PEX a....I believe they use PEX a in RVs because they can expand better if the pipes freeze....
Well I learn something every day, never would I have suspected the 1/2" (or 3/8") tubing was a variety of PEX.

Back
Top Bottom