Where to next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Time and distance has always dictated how far we could travel. Mostly, the "time" factor, as we both had to return to work.

Some time before Covid hit, my wife switched and became a home office. She did not have to go into the office any more. About the same time, my company started letting us work from home 2 or 3 days a week.

So, we scheduled many, many extended week-ends at State Park throughout Indiana, as the longest drive to reach any one of them would be 3 or 4 hours at the most. So, we started just running the gauntlet in Indiana, enabling us to work from the camper on a Thursday and Friday, or a Monday or Tuesday. This worked well for quite a long time.

Then Covid hit and we both were told not to come back to the building. Well, our travels extended then. As long as we had phone service we could connect via our phone's hot spots. Thus, enter "Visible" which was the answer to our biggest need .... reliable internet that could travel with us.

Those changes enabled us to travel farther, stay longer, and we found ourselves running a circuit between 3 or 4 different campgrounds, for almost 2 years.

Then I retired, she's still working from home. Except now, we run the gauntlet between Indiana, Louisiana, and North Carolina. Actually, I'm doing camp hosting in North Carolina and Louisiana. Except the Louisiana "gig" is not a traditional "camp host". The position is on a Historic Site plantation and I'm working as tour guide for the Plantation House and help give demonstrations on 1820's blacksmithing, in exchange for a full hook-up campsite (this site has no campground). It's a marvelous and very rewarding experience.

So, this year, we are in Louisiana for the month of Jan, Feb, and Mar. (which is now past). Back home again (Indiana) for April (which is now almost over). Back to Louisiana for May and June. Then over to North Carolina as a camp host (traditional host position), for July and August. Then back to Indiana in September. Then back to Louisiana for Oct, Nov, and December.

Well, it continues a bit. Jan and Feb (2025) we will be back in Indiana (burr.... dang coldest months of the year) ... and return to Louisiana for Mar, April, and May 2025.

If all goes well, we may stay longer in Louisiana. I won't know about returning to North Carolina for another gig as camp host until August this year (for 2025 July and August.)

So, basically, we are jumping between the 3 locations and absolutely love it! But the reason why we return, we absolutely love both of these locations and we absolutely love the state park we're at, and we absolutely love the people who work there. The plantation is interesting, because it's history. I've learned so much about Louisiana History in the early 1800's, and the Civil War (1860's), working on the plantation is working "Living History!" It's exciting, its rewarding, and non-stop learning. It's keeping my body agile, my mind working sharp, and giving me the social contact I need, and then the alone time and solitude of camping .... especially at the Plantation when the place is closed up at 5:00 pm and we are the only people on the property and the "ghosts" come out at night! The park manager lives on the property too.

That's why we return and want to return again and again. But, we also have a need to return home every few months also, for lots of reasons.

OK, I've rambled enough.
I enjoyed, the read, and I would like to suggest if I may a Civil War diary that was kept by the company scribe. After the war, the diary was made into a book. By the same name as the company and in the back is a listing of about 1000 men in the company, who mustered out in Ohio. The diary "The 6th New Hampshire, infantry Volunteers" covers everything from enlistment to musting out of the war. Funny, how they spoke and why they did things the way they did. Being retired I had given thought, to helping work opening hiking trails clearing and working as a camp host for an RV park. But now I'm too old and nearing my 80s. Thanks for sharing, good stuff. As I've gotten older, I got a Windows CPU and software. So when I'm tired of reading I click the mouse and READ ALOUD the written text. Some of this tech stuff is kind of cool. Stay well until then.

This trip I want to check out new places I have not yet been to and decide where to go from there.
How far from home? One of my more noteworthy motorcycle trips was the blue ridge parkway and surrounding area in TN and NC. My RV trip to TN last fall reinforced how nice it was to travel through that area. That, and western AR are two areas I would intentionally return to for further exploration and enjoyment. Just my brief trip along the Natchez Trace has taking that end to end on my list of things to do someday, along with the parts of Rt66 I haven't seen yet.

Southwest CO (million dollar highway, et al) is in my top three of scenic destinations and as close as it is to me, I've gotten a good cross section of what's to see and do there. So it's not on my return-to list right now only because it would be repeating what I've already done. If one hasn't been through there before I'd say it's on the bucket list for sure.

Went through yellowstone and western WY and I don't know I'd make that a destination unless I had a specific plan in mind. It's just too busy/commercialized to be a relaxing trip (though definitely scenic).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

How far from home? One of my more noteworthy motorcycle trips was the blue ridge parkway and surrounding area in TN and NC. My RV trip to TN last fall reinforced how nice it was to travel through that area.
Don't know how far or how long after I leave, but it now looks like my next RV trip will be in June.

I have not been to any of those places you mentioned above. I was in SC a couple of years ago, but not NC. I have never been in TN or on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Those are certainly areas I could consider.

Tom & I did the Yellowstone thing as well as Grand Teton. We were able to stay at Grand Teton for several days and nights without a reservation or anything. That was around 20 years ago. I cannot remember what month all that was, but the weather was nice, and it still wasn't all that crowded in any of those areas, but plenty of people, just not what I would call a big crowd. That was a nice trip.

-Don- Reno, NV

Another vote for Sacramento Pass. We been to a number of site along the 50 from the Fallon NV to the Utah border. Another BLM campground is Illipah Reservoir Rec. Area about 50 miles west of Ely NV. Cave Lake State Park is east of Ely and another great campground. Actually two campgrounds. IIRC, the second one on the road in has hookups.

We were on hwy 50 late April or early May and hit a few patches of snow. Nothing serious but broke up the monotony of the desert.

If you go to Illipah once you're on the road in, just off the highway there's a road sign which points to the reservoir on the left. Another road goes straight ahead and after about 10 miles of dirt road, there's a ghost town.
Would those places be better suited for my 26' Y2K Class C (higher ground clearance, a bit shorter and I don't care if it gets beat up a bit).

Or do I take my 2022 30' class A (very poor ground clearance and I don't want to get all beat up). Has much larger tanks for everything.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Blue ridge parkway is a destination for many (tail of the dragon and such) but for a good 50-60 miles on both sides of it have lots of rides and things to see/do away from the crowds of SMNP. Just noodling around state roads in TN and NC is laid back, scenic and rustic. Thing about points east of the mississippi is no matter how far off the beaten path you go, you're never really that far (in NM terms) from civilization and resupply. Lots more historical/interesting landmarks per sq. mile there than here.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Perhaps the most dangerous road there is in the USA.
Only if you're slow. Anymore, that's the only way I roll (though I showed the XYL all about "lean indicators" - the sound of footpegs grinding on the pavement). There's so much more than the dragon's tail to see in that area one could easily skip it. I recall there are no trucks (RV's prolly too) allowed on some or all of the parkway anyway, so it'd just be for day rides or short legs.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Gardiner, ny for us. Great sites along the banks of the Wallkill river, with family and friends.
It doesn't get much better than that..
:love:
Safe travels and all the best.

Another state to visit is just about anywhere in No. Carolina. This state has beautiful forested mountains, world-known beaches, cosmopolitan cities like Charlotte, and funky and cool Asheville, don't forget the Biltmore Mansion there, to the techy and easiest large city in the country to navigate, Raliegh, which is home to Falls Lake Recreation Area with 100's of beautiful campsites in several different locations.

Would those places be better suited for my 26' Y2K Class C (higher ground clearance, a bit shorter and I don't care if it gets beat up a bit).

Or do I take my 2022 30' class A (very poor ground clearance and I don't want to get all beat up). Has much larger tanks for everything.

-Don- Reno, NV

We took our 36 foot Pace arrow to all 3 campgrounds. The BLM areas can accommodate any size RV. Cave Lake was a little challenging but doable with some back and forth. Regarding the trip to the ghost town, we did that in our Jeep. I would not take a large vehicle on that road.

I would not take a large vehicle on that road.
Sounds like a good road for my electric motorcycle. How far is that ghost town from where the RVs can be parked?

Does the Ghost Town have a name?

Tom & I used to travel to see various NV Ghost Towns . We've been to places such as Rawhide, Rhyolite, Gold Point and several others.

CA also, such as Bodie.

-Don- Reno, NV

Again, depending on how far and how long you want to travel, in addition to the Blue Ridge Parkway (and the Skyline Parkway), in the middle of the country, there is the Natchez Trace Parkway: Click here.

The parkway's end points are Natchez, Mississippi and Nashville, Tennessee. Between the two end points is 444 miles of some beautiful country, and jam packed full of stops along the route with an overload of historical information.

Especially in the early 1800's folks would travel down the Mississippi River for Northern States on flat boats. Good were shipped from the Northern States to the Southern States on flat boats also.

Once the boats reached New Orleans, they were sold and the owners would travel back North using the Natchez Trace as their main route. It was a dangerous journey as robbers had no qualms about robbing and killing people as they attempted to travel the route.

There are stories where a group of robbers would kill their victims, gut them, fill the cavity of their bodies with rocks, and then drop them into swamps, bayous, rivers and different lakes and water ways where the bodies would sink to the bottom and never be found.

There are stories of people who are buried along the Trace and their grave are still there. It's an intriguing history lesson, and one that will definitely spark some emotional responses in the heart, saying to yourself .... how in the world could people possibly do something like that?

Then there is the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail. Click here. It sound like, based on your previous posts, you have already traveled some of this route, or near the route, especially Washington State, all the way over to the Dakotas. So, why not explore the route through Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

While you are in Pennsylvania, why not go over to Mill Grove, PA and visit the Lead Mine that was owned by John James Audubon's father and he managed for about 3 years when he was only 18 to about 21 years old. He also met his wife there on a neighboring farm. It's great history too. (And I kind of like Audubon as a historical character anyway ... for obvious reasons). Click here.

If you've never spent much time East of the Mississippi River, you are in for a real treat. You have all of Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania Amish Country, Northern Indiana Amish and RV country.

Kentucky is full of caves open to the public, as is Missouri. And if you are interest in hauntings and ghost stories, Louisiana is the state to be!

The bottom line is, if you have reached a stalemate on your current and past travels, then it's time to expand and try something you've never done before. It's time to get out of your comfort zone and attempt something new. Who knows, in your new travels, you may discover a brand new interest, something you never thought in a million years that would literally, "float your boat!"

That's what happened to me when I was challenged with being a tour guide on a historic plantation in Louisiana! All of these component parts were challenges I never wanted in my life..... Public speaking and History. Plus, I looked forward to my retirement and this position requires effort to do! But, it's been exhilarating doing it and so glad I stretched out of MY comfort zone and took the challenge.

Do the same. I'm not advising becoming a tour guide... no, no, not at all. I am recommending traveling to a location you never thought you'd go to. (Throw a dart at a map of the USA, and then go there. Just discover what's there. Zero in on the local community, and discover their unique spot on planet earth.)

Don, how about southeastern New Mexico, I spent a few days around Glenwood, NM (one gas station town) in the Gila National Forest on the way home from the Grand Canyon in 2019, nice area (there is the Glenwood catwalk nature trail nearby, google it) , there is Mogollon ghost town (not RV friendly), and a number of other potential motorcycle side trips. US180 is a bit twisty with lots of 45 mph speed limits driving in from AZ, but was certainly motorhome accessible in our 28 ft class A. The nearest larger town is Silver City, NM. If you have not been to east central AZ (Eagar, Alpine, etc) or SE NM, it is very different that the rest of these two states, it is mostly higher elevation (Eagar is at 7,000 ft elevation, Alpine is at 8,000), culturally it seems nice, some interesting small shops, cafe's. When I was there in Oct of 2019 every Saturday Glenwood had a sort of roadside farmers market along the highway for about half a mile where people sold not only produce, but baked goods, crafts, etc. Lots of wild life, herds of deer walked through the campground multiple times during the day, there is an RV park with hookups in town, as well a number of forest service dry campgrounds nearby, I stayed at one Cosmic Campground about 5 miles north of Glenwood that is an international dark sky site. As I recall it had 6-7 back in gravel sites, and several unofficial pull out sites for smaller RV's, no ammenities other than pit toilets, though it appeared they were starting to do some improvements when I was there, at the time it was free, first come camping (I grabbed the last empty site, but hunting season started the next day and many of the campers were hunters)

In the next month or two, I will probably take an RV trip to wherever, not sure where I want to go for this time of year. I guess most of the snowbirds already flew back north.

What places do non-full-timers find worth visiting several times? Worth going back to and for what reasons?

Boondocked or RV parks are fine with me. I will just use my older RV for boondocking up unpaved roads. Newer one for the RV parks.

-Don- Reno, NV
We love Eagle Valley CG at Spring Valley SP in Pioche. Great little trout fishing lake in a nice quiet canyon setting. We’re headed up there next week for a week. Only regret is I can’t bring my kayak since the new truck and rig hasn’t been outfitted with the rack.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom