Why does my avatar show as insert on some thread avatars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know what you mean by "show as insert". Can you link to an example? I viewed several of your previous messages and don't see anything unusual - just the usual avatar & name at the left of the message.

Gary, I think he's talking about the small inset that shows up attached to the poster's avatar (lower right of the avatar) when he's replied in that thread. Mine is always there on threads where I've commented, but never on ones where I haven't. But I only see it for me, not for the others who reply.

Addendum: Yep, it now shows for me on this thread, but didn't prior to this reply of mine. It's right where you click to enter this thread, and should be there for you Gary, if you go up a level and click on refresh.

Gary, I think he's talking about the small inset that shows up attached to the poster's avatar (lower right of the avatar) when he's replied in that thread. Mine is always there on threads where I've commented, but never on ones where I haven't. But I only see it for me, not for the others who reply.

Addendum: Yep, it now shows for me on this thread, but didn't prior to this reply of mine.
I see the same thing Larry. Any thread I post in I see the inset.

Interesting, it doesn't show for me, just the 'online now' inset image/text. Anyone care to post a screenshot.

Attachments

32.8 KB · Views: 0
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Folks who see their avatar displayed this way, could you please tell me which device (PC, iPad, etc) and which browser you're using. In Chet's screenshot it appears that two different images are being displayed, one on to of the other. I've started looking on the software support forum, but haven't yet found any related discussion.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough I first noticed this on and older DELL Latitude running Windows 7, yes, I know long story. I recently upgraded to a new Dell Inspirion running Win 11 and now they seem to show consistently.

I think you're on to something. Oh, the old problem was on Chrome, I'm using latest Edge until I download a new browser.

What I've noticed - if this is helpful at all - The OP's avatar is the larger frame next to the thread title. If you're the latest/newest post in the thread, your avatar appears in the smaller frame.

If you started the thread, and are also the last to post, you occupy both frames until someone else posts. Then their avatar occupies the small frame.

Edit: Took a screenshot after my post. Boat bum started the thread, and I was the last to post, so it's my avatar in the little frame, and Boat Bum's in the larger frame. (Mac OS, Safari 16.4)Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 17.08.51.png

Edit 2: I also see my avatar in threads I've posted in, even though I wasn't the last to post. If I hover in the small frame, it signals that I've posted in the thread and how many times. I believe this is a way to say "you've already replied here at least once". Now the question is, why isn't Solarman's avatar in the small frame since he was the last to post??

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 17.11.16.png

I wasn't able to replicate this until I realized folks are seeing it in the forum thread list, not on individual messages. Skookum's explanation seems to be the correct explanation. Additionally, if you scroll over the smaller of the two avatars, it tells you how many posts you've made in the thread. The larger avatar shows the thread starter; Scroll over this (larger) avatar to read more about the thread starter.

I've only noticed this since checking out this thread. I was also aware of the "online" greenlight for members.

I don't remember seeing this before so I wonder if there was a forum software update recently.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom