Will an EV Chevy Silverado achieve its 440-mile advertised range?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skookum

Zack from JerryRigEverything thinks so. Spoiler alert: It will actually go farther! I also like the ability to remove the rear of the cab to extend the bed length to 10 feet!

That’s a big battery. I’m having difficulty finding info on whether it is 400 or 800 volt tech as I found some contradicting info. At 400 volts that would be a long charge. But from what I have read it uses some kind of double stack charging that can split the back and utilize an 800 volt charger. Beyond my pay grade but sounds interesting.

Apparently they only sell about 20 a month and those are mainly fleet sales. Not sure what the production hold up is. Tesla cybertruck is already at 70 a day and some days over a 100. I’m guessing GM may have a supply chain issue. Batteries??? No idea really.

Last edited:
It will actually go farther!
So will any EV. It all depends on speed and conditions. IIRC, EVs normally use 100KMH (just under 65 MPH) for their range spec on a level road with no wind. Also, after just a few hundred miles or so, a new EV battery will often increase its KWH capacity a little above spec. After that it only (very slowly) decreases.

I like the KW gained and used display. My Chevy Bolt has that also (but Tesla doesn't--for now--as it could be done with an OTA update).

But the WH/Mi makes it easy in any EV to drive at the best speed for the best range. The lower the number, the better range you're getting regardless of anything else. I think all modern EVs have that, even my newer electric motorcycles. More important on motorcycles because every time the speed is doubled, get around half the range, unlike EV cars which are not nearly as much. Cars push a lot less wind for their size than do motorcycles. Aerodynamics of motorcycles are poor compared to cars, at least with a person sitting on one. EV cars usually get their best range at around 40 MPH. On motorcycles, it is less than 10 MPH for best range and will always be way above the range spec.

-Don- Reno, NV

That’s a big battery. I’m having difficulty finding info on whether it is 400 or 800 volt tech as I found some contradicting info. At 400 volts that would be a long charge. But from what I have read it uses some kind of double stack charging that can split the back and utilize an 800 volt charger. Beyond my pay grade but sounds interesting.

Apparently they only sell about 20 a month and those are mainly fleet sales. Not sure what the production hold up is. Tesla cybertruck is already at 70 a day and some days over a 100. I’m guessing GM may have a supply chain issue. Batteries??? No idea really.

Not sure on the voltage, but it charges at 350kW, CCS.

The close to $100,000 price range for that particular one would be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. It also appears that the only option is a 24" wheel option which I personally would have no use for. Not practical at all for most people and I can't imagine what tires would cost for it. Not sure why they went that big. I don't think brakes need to be that big. It might be to give it the range it has.

That’s a big battery.
Use KWH, not voltage.

It's a 200 KWH battery. My long-Range Tesla is just under 80 KWH. 77.8 KWH to be exact.

Figure around 3.5 miles (5.6 km) per KWH in our Teslas. If our Teslas has that 200 KWH battery our freeway range (not towing) will be around 700 miles/ 1,127 km range on a single charge. But a little less because of the extra weight of the larger battery.

I normally only want to hear about the KWH of the battery. I can figure out the rest close enough by that. That truck will be 2 miles (3.2 km) per KWH. I use 7 (11 km) miles per KWH on motorcycles for the average range.

Same for charging. IOW, it will take 200 KW to charge a 200 KWH battery in one hour, not counting the losses and slows downs at the high end of the charge.

-Don- Reno, NV

The madness continues for people who expect these to be a replacement for a pickup right now. They can be, but if you need a pickup for pickup things, go buy an ICV pickup.

They do make a Work Truck version with 18” wheels and capable tires. Plus a Max Tow package that provides a 20k tow capacity.

For everyone else it’s a 4-wheel steer capable, 0-60 in 4.5 second home-duty pickup, family hauler, and commuter with some awesome features. Made in the USA too 🇺🇸

The madness continues for people who expect these to be a replacement for a pickup right now. They can be, but if you need a pickup for pickup things, go buy an ICV pickup.

They do make a Work Truck version with 18” wheels and capable tires. Plus a Max Tow package that provides a 20k tow capacity.

For everyone else it’s a 4-wheel steer capable, 0-60 in 4.5 second home-duty pickup, family hauler, and commuter with some awesome features. Made in the USA too 🇺🇸
You can still buy a pickup that can do pickup things with around 10K towing capacity for thousands less. The 0-60 times really does not matter that much to me. You call it madness all you want. I call it practicality.

I for one don't care about being able put the seats down and open up the back of the cab. It would not work great when it is 10 degrees outside now would it? The guy doing the review even said it would not be much good for any long trips.

You can still buy a pickup that can do pickup things with around 10K towing capacity for thousands less. The 0-60 times really does not matter that much to me. You call it madness all you want. I call it practicality.

I for one don't care about being able put the seats down and open up the back of the cab. It would not work great when it is 10 degrees outside now would it? The guy doing the review even said it would not be much good for any long trips.

So don't buy it. 🤷🏽‍♂️

All one needs to do is look at tesla stock - enough said
Whatever goes up fast should be expected to drop as fast--if not even faster.

Tesla now has a lot of competition. All types of EVs available these days that have some great features that Tesla doesn't have. Such as with my much less expensive Chevy Bolt.

-Don- Reno, NV

Following this thread has me fascinated... I'm all for getting the correct vehicle to suit your needs. ICE or EV, that's a choice we all make. I thought the Chevy Bolt was well thought out and a very practical short distance car. I also thought I heard that Chevy discontinued production of the Bolt. Not sure about that one.

I expect that the technology will improve and a greater variety of affordable EV's will become available. Personally at least for the time being an ICE does everything I want or need it to do. For the future who knows???
Safe travels and all the best.

I thought the Chevy Bolt was well thought out and a very practical short distance car. I also thought I heard that Chevy discontinued production of the Bolt. Not sure about that one.
Yes, they discontinued the Bolt, for several reasons, IMO. Mostly because of battery safety issues. And the very slow "fast charging" of 55 KW for the 2022 models like mine. But it is a great car for the price for trips less than 200 miles or so (EPA range is 260 miles). With long breaks, it can easily go across the USA and then some. But to only charge at 55 KWs is years behind 2024 technology. Not an issue to me at all as long as I can easily get to my other house in Auburn, CA (99.0 miles between driveways) easily on a home charge (12 KW) with juice left over.

Chevy replaced the Bolt with the 2023 Chevrolet Equinox EV, which will charge at 150 KW with a DCFC, about three times as fast for a long road trip. Within reason, but still less than Tesla (250 KW charging) and several other EVs that can charge at 350 KW. Still is 12 KW home charging, which is about as much as anybody ever needs for a home charge. And the range of the Equinox is around 300 miles (EPA says 319). Almost 60 miles more than my Bolt. Also, not an issue to me, but could be to some. That's about an hour more of a drive before needing a charge.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom