Yellowstone NP 2024

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got plenty of time until next camping season. It's over until then.

View attachment 168399

Winter is supposed to be of the most majestic and interesting times to experience the park. There are virtually no visitors except the people you choose to go with on a guided trip via snowmobile. My husband has been and says it's a trip he and I must do at some point in the future, together. His experience sounded absolutely amazing.

Regarding "just 4 days" I think someone could spend a month in the park and still be taking in the sights and experiences. But I think just 4 days is plenty to see a couple of great major attractions and have some very impactful and memorable experiences. Maybe tack on a couple days in West Yellowstone if you feel you want to stay in the area longer. It's a great little town.

Currently it's Fall and so it's transition season, not Winter. We've noticed living within the Rockies how quiet it has become since the camping season ended. No tourists. This isn't the time to visit Yellowstone either. Wait until Winter. There's no Winter activities yet. The weather can make it nearly impossible to travel during the storms. Carry tire chains.

"WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY TO 6 PM MDT THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 12 inches for elevations above 7000 feet and 12 to 24 inches for
elevations above 8000 feet. Isolated areas with higher amounts
are possible. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph.

* WHERE...Yellowstone National Park, Absaroka Mountains and
Teton and Gros Ventre Mountains."

Regarding "just 4 days" I think someone could spend a month in the park and still be taking in the sights and experiences.
Back in 2004 we were RV volunteers in ID, not far from Yellowstone NP and we made a total of 28 day trips into the park, even though we had been there on 3 previous occasions staying from 3 days and 5 days twice. We have been there in the RV as early as May and as late as mid October.

Not sure how much time overall you have but I'd definitely do a few days in the Tetons if you can, 4 in Fishing Bridge (book it while you can) and maybe West Yellowstone or Gardiner. Gives you time to see more. There are several posts about visiting there. I'll see if I can find one of the good ones.

I think these are the ones, obviously some info may be out of date

Last edited:
After considering all the replies, I am going to postpone this trip for another year,and plan it for when I can get into one of the RV parks inside the park for a longer length of time.
I never took into account how large this park really is and the time it will take to see it all without rushing through it.
Again,thanks for all the replies!

I think you might be smart. Ever considered going to Silverwood? Half the distance and the older ones will have a lot of fun. Nice RV park on site - if you can get in.

We took the grandsons when they were about 14 and 11 (?). We ended up staying an extra day because the weather was a little cool and we decided to do Boulder Beach with them. Worth it.

After considering all the replies, I am going to postpone this trip for another year,and plan it for when I can get into one of the RV parks inside the park for a longer length of time.
I never took into account how large this park really is and the time it will take to see it all without rushing through it.
Again,thanks for all the replies!
If you keep trying you might get a cancellation.

If you keep trying you might get a cancellation.
If I did that, I might lose out on other places I might want to go. I think we are just going to stay closer to home this year. I already made reservations in one of our favorite state parks,and have plans to make another as soon as the reservation window opens.
I've always said that when the weather is nice,there is no place I would rather be than NW Washington, and now that I have time to enjoy it after being out of state for 37 summers, I think I will take advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nimbletoes
Back
Top Bottom