Your Opinion On Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since most folks on here don't live within the snowbelt, lithium batteries are great. Otherwise...

We bought 900 amp hours of LifeBlue lithium batteries with a self-heater because we do live in cold country, and we like to travel in shoulder seasons and at high elevations. Our batteries are outside the heated envelope of the rig, so a self-heating system was appropriate for us. There are also heated mats that some use, but we preferred the all-in-one style. In the winter we turn off most of electric system, but we leave the solar charger on plus some standby systems and the battery monitor. We use about 30 amps a day (1.5 amps per hour) in storage, and the solar keeps it fine unless there is a lot of snow. Since we go check it every week, it isn’t hard to turn on the generator and charge the batteries up if needed. The batteries even in 0 solar last 2 weeks easily.

To the OP's original question, in an RV application I would consider the two brands and models practically equivalent. If the price is the same then Trojan would get the nod but generally the USB's are a tad cheaper. All depends on local availability I'd guess. Taking that thought a step further, unless this is an "extreme" application like powering kW's worth of inverter, an interstate GC2 from costco or sam's club would come in close to the Trojan and USB's at a fairly significant savings. I've had great service from mine.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I've asked DH Eric to follow this conversation. I don't understand why we seem to have a dead battery so that we can't extend/retract our slides or awnings.

We bought 900 amp hours of LifeBlue lithium batteries with a self-heater because we do live in cold country, and we like to travel in shoulder seasons and at high elevations. Our batteries are outside the heated envelope of the rig, so a self-heating system was appropriate for us. There are also heated mats that some use, but we preferred the all-in-one style. In the winter we turn off most of electric system, but we leave the solar charger on plus some standby systems and the battery monitor. We use about 30 amps a day (1.5 amps per hour) in storage, and the solar keeps it fine unless there is a lot of snow. Since we go check it every week, it isn’t hard to turn on the generator and charge the batteries up if needed. The batteries even in 0 solar last 2 weeks easily.
I was aware of the battery heaters. Our AGM and lead acid batteries are out on the tongues of our TT and the boxes get buried with snow and ice. I don't concern myself with heating them. Lead acid batteries such as the Trojan T-105 or the US Battery 2200 will both do the job. It comes down to availability in our stores.

Last edited:
To answer the original question (Trojan vs US Battery): No, there is no technical reason to pick one over the other. Both are excellent examples of their type.

As for lithium batteries, they will save you weight, plus the more consistent voltage may enable you to get by with few AH, so maybe 300AH would be enough. Whether the lithiums will perform at their peak with your existing charger(s) is a question that warrants additional consideration.

To answer the original question (Trojan vs US Battery): No, there is no technical reason to pick one over the other. Both are excellent examples of their type.

As for lithium batteries, they will save you weight, plus the more consistent voltage may enable you to get by with few AH, so maybe 300AH would be enough. Whether the lithiums will perform at their peak with your existing charger(s) is a question that warrants additional consideration.
Thanks, Gary.

Since most folks on here don't live within the snowbelt, lithium batteries are great. Otherwise...

The snow belt has been creeping into the south lately. I live in Western PA and our winters have actually been getting milder the past 5 years.

Depending on your travels a replacement battery of the same brand might be quite difficult to find. Out in my region there are no US Battery dealers, but lots of Trojan dealers.
Screenshot_20231016-102739_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231016-102928_Chrome.jpg

220 AH for the SuperStart versus 225 AH of the Trojan T-105. It doesn't state anything about the cold cranking amps for starting like a hybrid Marine starting and deep cycle battery would in the O'Reilly specs below.

Screenshot_20231016-125333_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231016-125355_Chrome.jpg

Lithium is a possibility on my list. What is the weight of a 100Ah 12v lithium battery? I would need 4 of them in parallel because I'm looking for 400 Ah of capacity. I can get that with four 6v 225Ah T-105's, at 60# each for about $1150 total.
Rather than getting 4 100AH Lithium batteries, consider getting a pair of 200AH models. A 200AH LiFePo4 battery will weigh in at around 60 pounds each, so a manageable weight and about half the weight of a similar capacity lead acid battery, but a bit bulkier. (I have a pair of 200AH LiFePo4 Rebel brand batteries with bluetooth 100A BMS in my coach which I installed a couple of years ago, at the time the cost delivered was right at $1,500 on a special discount for mis-labeled batteries, nothing wrong with them, just the actual specs did not match what was printed on the case). It looks like similar spec batteries are now available for about $500, and 200A BMS models are out there around $650.

In addition to batteries I spent about another $400 on wiring, DC-DC charger, etc. lots of nickle and dime stuff that adds up, though I did move my battery bank inside the living area of the coach for climate control reasons, LiFePo4 batteries like the same sort of temperature ranges that people do, and also will not charge in sub freezing temperatures.

Very true, but those are the hybrid type, not true/pure deep cycle like the US Battery and Trojans I asked about.
Since we are talking about GC2 6v batteries, those other brands won't be hybrids either. Maybe a slightly less durable case or internal structure than the premium brands, but probably not a significant difference. And the AH rating is just about totally a matter of how much lead it contains.

All the Big Four USA battery makers produce quality GC2 golf car batteries and any two brands with identical AH ratings will perform alike except maybe in some extreme environments.

Oops! I see others have already said pretty much the same thing. I should have read the rest of the posts before responding...

Most "Drop-in" 12 volt lithium batteries have built in BMS (Battery Management System). The BMS prevents you from doing bad things to the battery including low temp charging. Some cheap lithium batteries do not include low temp charge protection. One of the best sources for lithium battery testing is Will Prowes on YouTube. Here's a test of a bargain lithium which does have low temp charge protection:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RufusRicke
Back
Top Bottom